CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   First Solo Cruise (have cruised before) over Christmas/New Years? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/374286-first-solo-cruise-have-cruised-before-over-christmas-new-years.html)

tinaky1114 June 3rd, 2010 04:03 PM

First Solo Cruise (have cruised before) over Christmas/New Years?

Hello Everyone.... I am planning my first solo cruise this year over the Christmas and/or New Year holidays. This will be my 3rd cruise - I always took my mom.

Since my mom passed last Nov, I have no family and last year's holidays were uneventful even spending them with great friends. I thought a Christmas and/or New Years cruise would be festive. Last cruise, even though I was with my mom (we enjoyed different activities), I hung out with the entertainment staff most of the time even getting invited to staff parties and exchanging Christmas gifts! First cruise, I met a couple on their honeymoon during the muster drill and they wanted to hang out with me (goal to find me a mate - did not happen) - taught me how to salsa dance.

Needless to say, I am not shy or introverted and I have no problem starting a conversation with anyone. I travel a lot for work and don't have a problem entertaining myself if need be, no fear of visiting new places (not stupid tho - any ports I should stay away from or make sure to take a ship excursion). I like the idea of not being on anyone else's schedule.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far (although open to others I like the larger ships):
Carnival Dream - 9 day W.Caribbean 12/23 - 1/1 (like the itinerary - loved Cozumel) Contemplating if I should splurge on a balcony?

NCL Epic - 12/25? - 7 day Have heard questionable things about the food quality on this line except for the surcharge restaurants. - Like the idea of the studio with no surcharge but it seems really tiny.

RCI - Oasis or Allure - would love to try either of these ships but may be cost prohibitive.

I am also debating the question of should I splurge on a balcony. I had one my last cruise but I have heard that getting an inside room will encourage me to be out and about.

Any thoughts or comments would be very appreciated. If anyone has cruised solo over the holidays, let me know about your experiences. Thanks! Tina :D

luvs to cruise June 29th, 2010 01:44 PM

Go on a singlescruises.com cruise and they will match you with a roomate and you will have lots of people to do things with - they are a blast.

Dannyboy July 1st, 2010 11:01 PM

You may want to look at Celebrity, I personally think the Carnival Dream was a nice ship, but does not compare on a overall with atmosphere and food.
Chow
Daniel

Shelby July 2nd, 2010 02:27 PM

I've looked at those studio cabins on Epic, but don't know if I can handle a 100 sq. ft. cabin, especially since the bed arrangement is for 2 people and it's not bunks.

Shelby

LasVegasSolo July 13th, 2010 10:29 PM

Tina, I will be on Epic for the whole holiday from December 18 thru January 1st. I think the idea of the Studio for one person is great and the idea of the Living Room where people can get together if they want and make plans with each other based on their individual interest is great. I like the idea of the cruise for the holidays for similar reasons as yours. I hope you find the trip you want.