CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Singles (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/)
-   -   Thinking about going Solo on a Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/singles/374532-thinking-about-going-solo-cruise.html)

Trader07 June 15th, 2010 02:52 PM

Thinking about going Solo on a Cruise

I am a 28m From Long Island. Just got out of a 5 year Relationship. Looking to possible go on a cruise by myself. Not Sure what to expect. I love to dance and party. Not shy to go meet new friends. I'm just afraid to go on a cruise and its all couples. Any Advise?

CruiseSC June 16th, 2010 01:14 AM

Go for it!

I went solo once and loved it. I met some great people. Danced with all those ladies. I dined with three crazy singles from West Virginia. It was loads of fun. I only had myself to keep up with! (but I had trouble keeping up with myself in key west)

The ony time I felt weird was when they were taking photos during boarding. That reminds me--The boarding time is when you can best spot others traveling solo. I would arrive early get a cool drink and keep my eyes open for unattached hotties.

mikemorgan23 June 17th, 2010 08:05 AM

Thinking about going Solo on a Cruise

Solo on cruises is much difficult. No use of it. You said , joined three people, If not then your cruise ship would be bored. Never go for cruises alone.

worthew8 June 17th, 2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemorgan23 (Post 1298076)
Solo on cruises is much difficult. No use of it. You said , joined three people, If not then your cruise ship would be bored. Never go for cruises alone.

After completing my 3rd solo cruise, I have to seriously disagree with this statement. :shock:

worthew8 June 17th, 2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trader07 (Post 1297729)
I am a 28m From Long Island. Just got out of a 5 year Relationship. Looking to possible go on a cruise by myself. Not Sure what to expect. I love to dance and party. Not shy to go meet new friends. I'm just afraid to go on a cruise and its all couples. Any Advise?

You're not shy? Then go for it! I think most lines have a 'singles' get-together's. Search 'solo cruises' on this board, you'll find a wealth of information.

Trip June 17th, 2010 05:09 PM

After ending a long relationship, I think going the cruise route is a sound idea. Meeting people onboard is easy if you are the least bit outgoing. There are endless opportunities, for easy conversation, especially at diinner, so if you find yourself the first night at a table you find not to your liking, ask the maitre'd if there are any singles that they could seat you with.

Check the dailies for any singles activities, and join right in. Have fun, and mingle, mingle, mingle:)

Kimbopolo June 17th, 2010 06:23 PM

I've only had one solo experience cruising but I feel it's great way to travel alone. Good if you are outgoing. Also good if you aren't.

CruiseSC June 17th, 2010 08:43 PM

Solo cruising rocks

Don't listen to the wallflowers go and have fun. Participate in the onboard activities and you will bump into others looking to have a good time.

Fern June 17th, 2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemorgan23 (Post 1298076)

This is not true. I've had several single friends go on a cruise and they all enjoyed themselves. Some are more "outgoing" than other's, but they all had fun!

CaptAWOL June 18th, 2010 03:10 AM

Most cruise lines will seat solo cruisers together at a table. Select a specific dining time and not the anytime dinning. Ask to be placed at a large table. A table of 8 singles makes for good conversation and a great way to meet other singles. Also they usually have a singles meet/party on either the 1st or 2nd night. I see a lot of posts where someone says "my husband and I are going on a cruise and taking my sister. Do you think she will have fun and be able to meet other singles." There are lots of singles that go on cruise, some go alone and others go with friends or relatives. You would be surprised at how many there are.

Like CruiseSC said: Get there early and get a spot where you can watch the boarding and pictures. Don't only look for the singles but look for the 'groups with singles'. You know what I mean, a group with one or more singles in them. They are easy enough to spot.

Go for it. Have fun and enjoy your cruise. :cool:

kevin c June 19th, 2010 08:47 AM

i have cruised solo several times. it is the best. try carnival for your first solo cruise. more singles and a little bit of a younger crowd than other lines. if you go it wont be your last.

Mancruzer June 19th, 2010 10:15 PM

I am late 40s recently separated, looking to go on a cruise also, but not wanting to go alone. Maybe looking for a cabin mate/friend for parties and more. If you think that would suit you, let me know asap. I'm looking for July or August only. ;)

Mancruzer June 19th, 2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trader07 (Post 1297729)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am late 40s recently separated, looking to go on a cruise also, but not wanting to go alone. Maybe looking for a cabin mate/friend for parties and more. If you think that would suit you, let me know asap. I'm looking for July or August only.

seagal June 20th, 2010 03:53 PM

How was the cruise on the Splendor, I'm planning on going July 11. Have you ever gone in July, and if so how was the weather?
Carolyn

redforce June 24th, 2010 01:45 PM

NCL Epic Sounds Good for Singles

Paul Motter is onboard the NCL Epic right now, the first cruise ship to offer rooms and rates designed for single travelers. He says all the single cabins are clustered together and there is a community/lounge area where they can congregate throughout the cruise.

Here is his exact quote:

"The beauty of these staterooms is that they are all located on a shared corridor where only the studio occupants have access. They even have one common "rumpus room" area, the Studio Lounge, where all the Studio Stateroom single denizens can meet and mingle on an impromptu basis any time during the day or night."

He actually made it sound so good (he's still on the cruise so I'm sure there will be more to come if you follow his articles) but I thought, wow if I wasn't married, that doesn't sound like the worst way to meet someone. I mean, could it really be worse than going to a bar or club? And I personally have always favored meeting someone in person to meeting them online, so I'd say it trumps that too.

Ignore the naysayers and go for it! What's the worst thing that could happen? If you don't meet anyone interesting, you'll be traveling to new places, getting away from familiar reminders of the past, and where else than the middle of the ocean could be better for reconnecting with yourself and recognizing what you want out of your next relationship (or the next phase of your life). Bring a few good books, your iPod and an openness to accepting whatever happens as a positive.

Keep us posted, please!

luvs to cruise June 29th, 2010 02:41 PM

Well if you go with RCI they will make an effort to seat you at dinner with other singles. Alternately, you may want to look into a singles cruise (like singlescruises.com) where a whole bunch of singles travel together and they will even match you with a roomate to save on costs

italiagal June 30th, 2010 02:24 AM

Oct 30 th Epic

Looks like NCL's Epic could be a good place to start with their "studio" cabins geared and priced for the solo traveler. Also some single groups will match you up with a room mate if you want to save more costs!
I know the halloween cruise aboard the Epic will host a lot of singles of all ages and could be a good one to check out. Looks like a great new ship!
Happy Travels to you!

luvs to cruise July 15th, 2010 02:50 PM

Trader07 and Mancruzer

You both ought to try singlescruises.com -they have a nice selection of cruises for singles and I guarantee you will have a great time -I am currently scheduled for the over 40s and singlescruises will find a room mate and then I will be on the ATC2 singles cruise and I am taking my room mate. My first singles cruise with these folks was so much fun I am doing two this year - try it you wil like it.

ClevClinicRN July 17th, 2010 06:10 AM

I'm going solo on Royal Caribbean Voyage of Seas Barcelona Aug. 29th. I'm a little scared too.

ClevClinicRN July 17th, 2010 06:17 AM

Oh yeah. . I also got out of long term relationship. . .so I know how it feels. . but I'm youngish female, athletic, and pretty outgoing, so hopefully I won't have to meet anyone only by providing emergency services. . . LOL(I'm ER RN).

Kimidfw July 17th, 2010 11:49 AM

go for it! It's tons of fun.

dancehall_doctor July 19th, 2010 09:18 AM

Well those answers help me make up my mind about going alone....Now, I look forward to going solo in Oct.

John1948 July 21st, 2010 07:07 PM

What about single cruising for seniors? I'm 62 and would not want to share a cabin. What is available for someone in my situation?

Anjipan July 24th, 2010 07:41 PM

Hi, I know it's difficult to take the plunge to go it alone, but now I've booked I'm just really excited. It's an adventure! I've been on holiday with friends, but if you want to go somewhere where nobody else does I think a cruise is the safest option. You have all the great facilities onboard and then you can go on excursions at all of the ports. I'm going on the 7 day trip to Mexico etc on the 13th Nov on NCL's Epic. There's 128 single 'studios' and a lounge to meet single people. Even if I don't meet any twenty-somethings to hang out with, I'll just have a few cocktails at the Ice Bar and hit the dancefloor! :) Anj

profln71 July 25th, 2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John1948 (Post 1304671)
What about single cruising for seniors? I'm 62 and would not want to share a cabin. What is available for someone in my situation?

Hi John 1948 , I have done a couple of solo-cruises with HAL : all staff on board the Oosterdam and the Noordam were very attentive to my needs . The seating arrangements in the dining room were very agreable to me : I could ask for a small table or allow them to seat me at a table for 6 , 8 or 10 people . I took an excursion in every port-of-call and I was always glad to engage in conversations with other passengers . I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a HAL cruise ! Lane

BigAl_67 September 26th, 2010 05:56 PM

I've never went to the movies by myself so the thought of soloing if frightening.
...but I'm gonna do it. If you've cruised before I suspect it would be easy though...if for nothing, just lay by the pool all day. This will be my 13th.
:cool:

ruthlessboss September 26th, 2010 07:58 PM

That first solo cruise can be frightening, but a necessary part of no longer having that partner to travel with. I went on a 4 nighter as a trial ( my partner and I always cruised, now divorced). I had a good time even though not a terribly outgoing person. My emotional shocker came on formal night, seeing the photographers, couples etc. Formal night was a biggie for us. I did not go to dinner that night. I'm booked for another solo early Dec., but this time I'll not be on the sidelines! God luck in your journey in restructuring your life and thoughts of life.

GTVCRUISER October 6th, 2010 11:16 AM

Solo Cruiser

I have been on many cruises , sometimes with friends , and about 15 times solo , I love to cruise, so if I can not find anyone to cruise with I go solo,it is fun !!!!:D.........Future Cruises.......Oosterdam Oct. 23, 2010 ,Oosterdam Nov. 13, 2010 , Carnival Spirit Dec 10, 2010 ........Past Cruises -12 dam ships , 17 fun ships , 15 RCI ships , 4 Celebrity ships , 4 NCL ships , 7 Princess Ships , 4 other ships

Mahalia October 7th, 2010 03:24 PM

Also thinking about my first solo!

Sometime in January 2011 in the Caribbean I will be taking my first solo cruise. Any tips on ships, activities, dining for solo female cruisers?
I'm 40, work too much and need to unwind! I enjoy the sun, the ocean, good food, good wine and good books.
The Epic sounds good but I would book a balcony.

Truffle Shuffle November 9th, 2010 10:06 PM

Still looking at cruises?

Trader,

I am cruising Jan 22-29, with two single girls and need someone to share a room with my buddy to split the cost. If interested, get in touch. Royal Caribbean, Serenade Seas...All early 30's and from Northeast (NY, DC, Philly).

Kevin