Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Default Thinking about going Solo on a Cruise

I am a 28m From Long Island. Just got out of a 5 year Relationship. Looking to possible go on a cruise by myself. Not Sure what to expect. I love to dance and party. Not shy to go meet new friends. I'm just afraid to go on a cruise and its all couples. Any Advise?
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Familiar Face

Default Go for it!

I went solo once and loved it. I met some great people. Danced with all those ladies. I dined with three crazy singles from West Virginia. It was loads of fun. I only had myself to keep up with! (but I had trouble keeping up with myself in key west)

The ony time I felt weird was when they were taking photos during boarding. That reminds me--The boarding time is when you can best spot others traveling solo. I would arrive early get a cool drink and keep my eyes open for unattached hotties.
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up Thinking about going Solo on a Cruise

Solo on cruises is much difficult. No use of it. You said , joined three people, If not then your cruise ship would be bored. Never go for cruises alone.
Old June 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorgan23 View Post
Solo on cruises is much difficult. No use of it. You said , joined three people, If not then your cruise ship would be bored. Never go for cruises alone.
After completing my 3rd solo cruise, I have to seriously disagree with this statement.

Old June 17th, 2010, 02:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader07 View Post
I am a 28m From Long Island. Just got out of a 5 year Relationship. Looking to possible go on a cruise by myself. Not Sure what to expect. I love to dance and party. Not shy to go meet new friends. I'm just afraid to go on a cruise and its all couples. Any Advise?

You're not shy? Then go for it! I think most lines have a 'singles' get-together's. Search 'solo cruises' on this board, you'll find a wealth of information.

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

After ending a long relationship, I think going the cruise route is a sound idea. Meeting people onboard is easy if you are the least bit outgoing. There are endless opportunities, for easy conversation, especially at diinner, so if you find yourself the first night at a table you find not to your liking, ask the maitre'd if there are any singles that they could seat you with.

Check the dailies for any singles activities, and join right in. Have fun, and mingle, mingle, mingle

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; June 19th, 2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old June 17th, 2010, 05:23 PM
First Mate

I've only had one solo experience cruising but I feel it's great way to travel alone. Good if you are outgoing. Also good if you aren't.
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Solo cruising rocks

Don't listen to the wallflowers go and have fun. Participate in the onboard activities and you will bump into others looking to have a good time.
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorgan23 View Post
This is not true. I've had several single friends go on a cruise and they all enjoyed themselves. Some are more "outgoing" than other's, but they all had fun!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 18th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Beginner

Most cruise lines will seat solo cruisers together at a table. Select a specific dining time and not the anytime dinning. Ask to be placed at a large table. A table of 8 singles makes for good conversation and a great way to meet other singles. Also they usually have a singles meet/party on either the 1st or 2nd night. I see a lot of posts where someone says "my husband and I are going on a cruise and taking my sister. Do you think she will have fun and be able to meet other singles." There are lots of singles that go on cruise, some go alone and others go with friends or relatives. You would be surprised at how many there are.

Like CruiseSC said: Get there early and get a spot where you can watch the boarding and pictures. Don't only look for the singles but look for the 'groups with singles'. You know what I mean, a group with one or more singles in them. They are easy enough to spot.

Go for it. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
First Mate

i have cruised solo several times. it is the best. try carnival for your first solo cruise. more singles and a little bit of a younger crowd than other lines. if you go it wont be your last.
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Passenger

I am late 40s recently separated, looking to go on a cruise also, but not wanting to go alone. Maybe looking for a cabin mate/friend for parties and more. If you think that would suit you, let me know asap. I'm looking for July or August only.
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader07 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am late 40s recently separated, looking to go on a cruise also, but not wanting to go alone. Maybe looking for a cabin mate/friend for parties and more. If you think that would suit you, let me know asap. I'm looking for July or August only.
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Beginner

How was the cruise on the Splendor, I'm planning on going July 11. Have you ever gone in July, and if so how was the weather?
Carolyn
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Thumbs up NCL Epic Sounds Good for Singles

Paul Motter is onboard the NCL Epic right now, the first cruise ship to offer rooms and rates designed for single travelers. He says all the single cabins are clustered together and there is a community/lounge area where they can congregate throughout the cruise.

Here is his exact quote:

"The beauty of these staterooms is that they are all located on a shared corridor where only the studio occupants have access. They even have one common "rumpus room" area, the Studio Lounge, where all the Studio Stateroom single denizens can meet and mingle on an impromptu basis any time during the day or night."

He actually made it sound so good (he's still on the cruise so I'm sure there will be more to come if you follow his articles) but I thought, wow if I wasn't married, that doesn't sound like the worst way to meet someone. I mean, could it really be worse than going to a bar or club? And I personally have always favored meeting someone in person to meeting them online, so I'd say it trumps that too.

Ignore the naysayers and go for it! What's the worst thing that could happen? If you don't meet anyone interesting, you'll be traveling to new places, getting away from familiar reminders of the past, and where else than the middle of the ocean could be better for reconnecting with yourself and recognizing what you want out of your next relationship (or the next phase of your life). Bring a few good books, your iPod and an openness to accepting whatever happens as a positive.

Keep us posted, please!
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Passenger

Well if you go with RCI they will make an effort to seat you at dinner with other singles. Alternately, you may want to look into a singles cruise (like singlescruises.com) where a whole bunch of singles travel together and they will even match you with a roomate to save on costs
NCL-Norwegian Spirit 12/17/04
CCL-Valor 05/08/05
CCL-Valor 04/30/06
CCL-Imagination 09/10/07
RCL-Sovereign of the Seas 12/10/07
RCL-Liberty of the Seas 03/01/08
CCL-Pride 09/14/08
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Passenger

Default Oct 30 th Epic

Looks like NCL's Epic could be a good place to start with their "studio" cabins geared and priced for the solo traveler. Also some single groups will match you up with a room mate if you want to save more costs!
I know the halloween cruise aboard the Epic will host a lot of singles of all ages and could be a good one to check out. Looks like a great new ship!
Happy Travels to you!
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Passenger

Trader07 and Mancruzer

You both ought to try singlescruises.com -they have a nice selection of cruises for singles and I guarantee you will have a great time -I am currently scheduled for the over 40s and singlescruises will find a room mate and then I will be on the ATC2 singles cruise and I am taking my room mate. My first singles cruise with these folks was so much fun I am doing two this year - try it you wil like it.
NCL-Norwegian Spirit 12/17/04
CCL-Valor 05/08/05
CCL-Valor 04/30/06
CCL-Imagination 09/10/07
RCL-Sovereign of the Seas 12/10/07
RCL-Liberty of the Seas 03/01/08
CCL-Pride 09/14/08
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Beginner

I'm going solo on Royal Caribbean Voyage of Seas Barcelona Aug. 29th. I'm a little scared too.
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Beginner

Oh yeah. . I also got out of long term relationship. . .so I know how it feels. . but I'm youngish female, athletic, and pretty outgoing, so hopefully I won't have to meet anyone only by providing emergency services. . . (I'm ER RN).
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Beginner

go for it! It's tons of fun.
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Well those answers help me make up my mind about going alone....Now, I look forward to going solo in Oct.
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Beginner

What about single cruising for seniors? I'm 62 and would not want to share a cabin. What is available for someone in my situation?
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi, I know it's difficult to take the plunge to go it alone, but now I've booked I'm just really excited. It's an adventure! I've been on holiday with friends, but if you want to go somewhere where nobody else does I think a cruise is the safest option. You have all the great facilities onboard and then you can go on excursions at all of the ports. I'm going on the 7 day trip to Mexico etc on the 13th Nov on NCL's Epic. There's 128 single 'studios' and a lounge to meet single people. Even if I don't meet any twenty-somethings to hang out with, I'll just have a few cocktails at the Ice Bar and hit the dancefloor! Anj
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1948 View Post
What about single cruising for seniors? I'm 62 and would not want to share a cabin. What is available for someone in my situation?
Hi John 1948 , I have done a couple of solo-cruises with HAL : all staff on board the Oosterdam and the Noordam were very attentive to my needs . The seating arrangements in the dining room were very agreable to me : I could ask for a small table or allow them to seat me at a table for 6 , 8 or 10 people . I took an excursion in every port-of-call and I was always glad to engage in conversations with other passengers . I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a HAL cruise ! Lane
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Beginner

I've never went to the movies by myself so the thought of soloing if frightening.
...but I'm gonna do it. If you've cruised before I suspect it would be easy though...if for nothing, just lay by the pool all day. This will be my 13th.
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

That first solo cruise can be frightening, but a necessary part of no longer having that partner to travel with. I went on a 4 nighter as a trial ( my partner and I always cruised, now divorced). I had a good time even though not a terribly outgoing person. My emotional shocker came on formal night, seeing the photographers, couples etc. Formal night was a biggie for us. I did not go to dinner that night. I'm booked for another solo early Dec., but this time I'll not be on the sidelines! God luck in your journey in restructuring your life and thoughts of life.
Old October 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Smile Solo Cruiser

I have been on many cruises , sometimes with friends , and about 15 times solo , I love to cruise, so if I can not find anyone to cruise with I go solo,it is fun !!!!.........Future Cruises.......Oosterdam Oct. 23, 2010 ,Oosterdam Nov. 13, 2010 , Carnival Spirit Dec 10, 2010 ........Past Cruises -12 dam ships , 17 fun ships , 15 RCI ships , 4 Celebrity ships , 4 NCL ships , 7 Princess Ships , 4 other ships
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Default Also thinking about my first solo!

Sometime in January 2011 in the Caribbean I will be taking my first solo cruise. Any tips on ships, activities, dining for solo female cruisers?
I'm 40, work too much and need to unwind! I enjoy the sun, the ocean, good food, good wine and good books.
The Epic sounds good but I would book a balcony.
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Default Still looking at cruises?

Trader,

I am cruising Jan 22-29, with two single girls and need someone to share a room with my buddy to split the cost. If interested, get in touch. Royal Caribbean, Serenade Seas...All early 30's and from Northeast (NY, DC, Philly).

Kevin