Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Singles
Register Forgot Password?

Singles Talk to other single cruisers about cruising in groups or cruising solo.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Considering a single cruise

Hi all,

I want a holiday! Sounds easy? not for me.

I'm 29 single female in the UK and would like to go on a big holiday, the thing is all my friends have small children. Short European city breaks are all they can manage to do with childcare issues and so on, which is great but I want a holiday that feels like a holiday not just a long weekend away.

So is singles cruising the answer?

I'm an easy going chatty person that can get on well with people of all ages so I feel that this is my ticket to seeing the world.

I thought coming on here and chatting to a few of my fellow solo cruisers would be a good place to start.

I'm looking to cruise the Caribbean in Feb/March next year, I'm open to suggestions on the best cruise or ship.

I'd love any of you experienced solo travellers to give me any tips or just say Hi so next year when I go I might already know a few of you.

Take care

Claire
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Welcome Claire
You would enjoy a cruise I have been on several cruise on my own. It is very easy to get to know your fellow passengers. There is always something to do every day you may want to consider Royal Caribbean Carnival or Norwegian cruises. The Caribbean is a great place and have been there several times I prefer fourteen nights or more I have also done a three Transatlantic cruise and next year will be my fourth. Any Questions ask and I will do my best to answer.
Mary
Old July 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Familiar Face

Claire, look into doing the 30's/40s cruise thrown by Singlescruise.com. It's in mid-February and it will be a really good cruise. Over 100 people have already booked.

phil
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Claire,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Hi all,

I want a holiday! Sounds easy? not for me.

I'm 29 single female in the UK and would like to go on a big holiday, the thing is all my friends have small children. Short European city breaks are all they can manage to do with childcare issues and so on, which is great but I want a holiday that feels like a holiday not just a long weekend away.

So is singles cruising the answer?

I'm an easy going chatty person that can get on well with people of all ages so I feel that this is my ticket to seeing the world.

I thought coming on here and chatting to a few of my fellow solo cruisers would be a good place to start.

I'm looking to cruise the Caribbean in Feb/March next year, I'm open to suggestions on the best cruise or ship.

I'd love any of you experienced solo travellers to give me any tips or just say Hi so next year when I go I might already know a few of you.
Welcome to the big world of cruising!

There is no one cruise line, cruise ship, or cruise itinerary that is best for everybody. Each cruise line has its own style and personality, which caters to a particular segment of the population. You will have the best experience if you choose a line that's a good match for your style and tastes. That might or might not be the line that I would prefer. To use a set of euphemisms that appeared in one travel guide, do you prefer (1) "champagne and caviar," (2) "wine and cheese," or (3) "pretzels and beer?" Do you prefer a wild "frat party" scene or something more mellow and relaxing? Do you like to dress "to the nines" for formal dinners or do you prefer something more casual? And also, what is your cruise budget?

For people who are considering a first cruise, I recommend buying a travel guide to cruise lines and cruise ships (all of the major series of travel guides have them) and reading the descriptions of all of the lines to get a sense of which lines seem to be the best match for you. If there is not one line that stands out as the right choice for you, chances are that you'll at least narrow it down to two or three lines that are reasonably good fits. You can then look at those lines' itineraries to see what itineraries meet your schedule. At this point, a reputable travel agent who specializes in cruise bookings can help you to clarify your interests and then to fnd a good match.

Having said that, I would avoid choosing a cruise line because it has a reputation for drawing a lot of single passengers. Most modern cruise ships have over a thousand cabins, so it does not take a very large percentage of single occpancy to add up to enough singles to have a good time and perhaps even to meet that right someone. On the other side of the coin, however, you will have a much better chance of meeting other singles with whom you will connect -- whether for the cruise or beyond -- if you book on the line that's the best match for your preference of style and interests because that's the line that will drwa other singles with similar prevferences of style and similar interests.

In the same vein, it's important to remember that most cruise lines draw a very broad spectrum of ages. A cruise line that has a median age in the 40's or 50's will have adult passengers from their 20's to their 80's. If the median age is around 80, well... then you might want to think twice unless your idea of a good time is hanging out with your grandparents' generation because the spectrum of ages will be much narrower.

Have a great first cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have a cruise booked out of Venice 10September, 7 days, adriatic sea, inside cabin.

I'm a single straight female, 24 (25 while on the cruise). I love meeting new people and traveling.

I'm experienced in traveling solo, although this is my first solo (for now at least) cruise. I wouldn't mind having a friend during the cruise....its always more fun with a few people around

- SS Universe Explorer August 2000(?)
- Carnival Miracle March 2005

Voyager of the Seas
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Claire,
I am a first timer too and looked at Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas trip leaving out of Galveston,TX in February. Looks like that line offers Roommate match service to help cut costs. I am finding these cruise ships charge based on room occupancy, not overall people. If you'd be interested, let me know.