Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2001, 04:06 PM
First Mate

Default Around the Horn

Will be going around the Horn on the Ryndam this November and looking for information about the following ports:

Valparaiso, Chile
Puerto Montt, Chile
Punta Arenas, Chile
Ushuania, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Stanley, Falkland Islands, Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

My mother uses a wheelchair, so pretty much the ship bus tours are out for us, and we don't expect to find any wheelchair accessible transportation other than cars. Wondering about what we can do from a cab or with a hired car/driver that we could see from the car, or which would be fairly wheelchair accessible once we get to the site. Sense she does not always go ashore, also interested in other "must see" sights. Not big on shopping, but interested in cultural/historial sights, as well as native crafts.
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2001, 05:28 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan
Default Re: Around the Horn

I saw your message on the Cruisematesmessage board -my husband and I are on the Dec. 1 sailing from Rio. I would love to know what you find out about excursions/weather etc from your readings. We will already be gone when you get back! I've been on the Ryndam before so if you have any questions about the ship I'd be happy to help if I can. Thanks, jan
Old July 29th, 2001, 12:05 AM
K.Bubb

Jan: On this web site you can pull up Ann Campbell's article by Marvin Perton on Cruising South America - the article is quite good- tells what to pack, etc. keep clicking around and you will find it. Also on www.icruise.com she is also on that site - and you can e-mail her with questions.. she and Heidi Sarna have been on lots of cruises - travel agents.. From what I hear it will be tropical weather in Rio and then cool (like Alaska) around the Horn- so take jacket.. even gloves.. What ship are you going on and when? I have been on Maasdam in 2000 - and that was great ship-- friends from FLA went on Ryndam this past May and said the food was not that great-- one problem.. but I hear good reviews about it from others. Any tips you have on Ryndam would be appreciated. Thanks Kitty
Old August 23rd, 2001, 05:40 PM
Kitty Bubb

Try these sites-- munro_kenneth@hotmail.com He is in Santiago, Chile, an Englishman married to Chilean-- runs Travel Agencies, etc. been very helpful to me. Then for others in Chile try eureka turismo (E-mail is: eureka-turismo@entelchile.net There is Raimundo Runge there who has given me tour information on Puerto Montt, etc. On the Web you can go to: www.blumar.com.br/dinamicas/tours2.cfm and pull up some tours.... For the Falklands a helpful source is: jmorrison@fidc.co.fk (Jo Morrison) If you cannot contact her - then go on Web site for: www.falklandislands.com That is how I got her-- she is Tourist Rep there in Falklands.. Good luck in all of this and if you find helpful information for me on Montevideo (would appreciate it).. especially touring there on my own and shopping in town... Thanks (Kitty Bubb) PS Sailing on Ryndam - Rio to Valpariso Dec. lst
Old August 23rd, 2001, 05:48 PM
Kitty Bubb

Let me know if you got my messages about tours-- and any information you on those same ports- I need as well... to share. thanks much and good luck. Kitty