CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-america/)
-   -   Cape Horn sailing - a great book (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-america/255966-cape-horn-sailing-great-book.html)

JRohde July 21st, 2001 12:31 PM

Cape Horn sailing - a great book

Since we are planning a cruise around the Horn in December, I am reading all I can. I found a great little book about sailing (not cruising) around the Horn. I bought it used for peanuts on Amazon.com, and highly recommend it. It is "My Old Man and the Sea" by David and Daniel Hays. Good reading while you are counting down the days .

LabeYoung July 21st, 2001 04:08 PM

Re: Cape Horn sailing - a great book

We have booked our cruise with Princess for the Dec. 5 sailing and have been searching for reading materials. Not as much info here as with Europe, et.al. Anyway, we are researching and preparing. Good Luck.

Sheila July 25th, 2001 07:41 AM

Just read your post about Cape Horn sailing -- I haven't seen the book yet -- but just wanted you to know that we too are on the 12/5 sailing of the Royal Princess. We have been trying to do this cruise for several years now, but haven't been able to make it work. We finally did -- and can't wait. Hope to see you there

LabeYoung July 26th, 2001 11:23 AM

Hi Sheila, good to see someone else booking the same cruise. We are anxiously preparing for this journey and have bought 2 books on South America, one by Fodor's and the other by the Discovery Channel. Although the Fodor's book has more info on the ports the other book is more descriptive on the actual countries. In the meantime I have been surfing the net for descriptions of past journies and experiences of other travellers. If something interesting comes up, I'll let you know.
We were considering the Antartic flyover but after seeing Holland's brochure stating that they were using a 737 at a price of 1200 pp we decided that it wasn't worth the price.
We have booked the post-cruise trip to the falls and Rio. We figured that while we were there we might as well see these sights being that we probably wouldn't have the chance again.
We are booked on the baja floor but were considering a vernada. We haven't decided if the 1400 upgrade is worth it in such a colder climate.
Good Luck, keep in touch. Labe and Edwina Young, Kentucky

Cynthia July 26th, 2001 06:45 PM

The best one that I have found just came out, Frommer's Argentina & Chile. Amazon showed it about 6 weeks ago and I ordered it but they did not even have it yet. I just got it yesterday.

Kitty Bubb August 14th, 2001 12:43 AM

Jan: Good idea about the book My Old Man and the Sea for cruising around Cape Horn in December... I am also taking the cruise in Ryndam (HAL) Dec. lst.. Rio to Valpariso... Do you have any information on tours that will be offered by the ship? Or any information on the ports we will visit? thanks kittyicky@aol.com

Debbie Hightower October 11th, 2001 12:57 PM

May I ask how much is your post cruise trip to the Falls? I couldn;t locate it on the website! THANKS, Debbie

MJ Rubinstein October 15th, 2001 08:27 AM

I recently finished two travel journals. The first was Travels in a Thin Country and the second was In Patagonia. Both are by Brits who took extended trips in the area. Not started yet I have Voyaging Southward from the State of Magellan about a trip in the 1920's complete with beautiful woodcuts.

We are sailing on the Ryndam 11/14, Valparaiso to Rio. Counting the days.

--MJ

KLD October 20th, 2001 02:38 PM

Just received the book I ordered from Amazon.com which is on the history of Cape Horn. Giving it to my father before our trip...he is an avid sailor. It is: Riesenberg, Felix (1995) "Cape Horn", Ox Bow Press, Woodbridge, Conn. Covers the period from Magellan through the present time from the standpoint of famous voyages or first person accounts of rounding the Cape. Have not read it yet, but it was well reviewed and looks great.

We were also able to get some pretty detailed maps of the area through the local map shop...one of all Southern South America including the Falklands and one of just the Cape Horn/Striats of Magellan area. Our whole family loves maps and will be using these with our GPS to be sure the Captain has the ship in the right locations!! ;-)