Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Passenger

Default Info Please on Transfer

Can anyone tell me how to get from Santiago to Valparaiso to catch the Mercury on 1/20/02 without having to spend $130 for my husband and me on a tour there? I have corresponded with hotel and a tour co. but have found nothing less than $50/person or $65 for a 6-7 hour tour, which, between the 2, is the better deal. Would appreciate any input. Carol
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2001, 11:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Info Please on Transfer

Hi Carol,
We'll be getting off the Mercury the day you board. We have signed up for the full day tour of Santiago post cruise, and also had to pay for the transfer to the airport that dayboth purchased from Celebrity. Given that it is our only day there and we are leaving at 10 PM that night, we decided it was worth the $ not to have to hassle with arranging anything else.
Old November 14th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Carol-

I have no information on the transfer, but we will also be on the cruise (and the next one), and have booked a two night stay in Santiago through the cruise line that covers the transfer to Valparaiso.

I have heard of people actually taking a taxi between the two cities, but have no idea how much that might cost.

I hope you can find some definitive information soon. Meanwhile...I'm trying to figure out how to pack in two suitcases for 28 nights of cruising, including packing for the cool, windy south coast as well as muggy Rio.

Have a wonderful cruise!
Old November 15th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Missmac

I understand there will be more cool days than warm ones. I booked a hotel in Santiago and Buenos Aires on the internet at about $125/night and they will pick us up at the airport. They also have a tour/transfer to Valparaiso that I think we are going to sign up for. I'm glad to hear you are going too Jeannie. Have you found others going? There is not a lot of discussions on this particular South America board.
Old November 29th, 2001, 01:04 PM
steve & charlotte

The bus 'tur bus' runs between Valparaiso and Santiago according to this web site
it takes 2 hours.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.111818/1659/?s=X

we are going the opposite direction so we couldn't share a taxi
Old December 4th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Myra Rubinstein

We just did this in mid-Nov. We took a bus from Santiago to Valpo. It was very inexpensive (like $4). The cab ride from Valpo to Vina del Mar where we stayed overnight was much more expensive but I think the cabbie ripped us off.
Old December 5th, 2001, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Just returned from trip on Ryndam (11/14-12/2/01). We saved a lot by booking our transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso via South Star Tours (www.southstartours.com). They offer both straight transportation and a tour on the way. The trip is normally 2 hours, but due to highway construction and heavy traffic it took us closer to 3 hours.
Old December 26th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Just got back from Miami to Valparaiso cruise,and transfered to Santiago by way of the "TUR BUS" (less than $4/peron).

The cab drivers in Valparaiso and Santiago are supposed to be metered and are likely to charge a high rate if they don't use their meter. With the meters they are quite reasonable. You have to take a cab to the bus station from the pier.
Old February 18th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Myra-- Where did you stay in Vina del Mar?

Thanks.

Peggy