Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2001, 10:01 PM
E. Zelniker

Default south american excursions

Will be on the March 17th sailing of Mercury Rio to Valparaiso. Looking for information on excursions off the ship on my own. Has anybody done this cruise, could use some feedback. Thanks. Ed.
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Myra Rubinstein

Default Re: south american excursions

We just returned from Holland's Valpo to Rio. Please see my postings on this topic and Holland America for my comments.

We found (with a few exceptions) that in cities my husband and I prefer to tour without a group. Using the information from the port lectures, a good map and a Fodors or Frommers guidebook, we had no difficulty in Punta Arenas, Falklands, Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Rio. If you'd like specifics on what we did in any of these ports please e-mail me.

Shore excursions that WERE worthwhile were: Tango Show in BA (but not the dinner) and Trekking in Ushuaia.
Old December 26th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Passenger

I would like additional information on your "self directed tours" on your cruise. We leave from Val to BA on 1/20/02. Thanks. Carol
Old December 29th, 2001, 06:15 PM
E. Zelniker

We are still researching port excursions. You might want to try a web site called cruiseexcursions.com there is a wealth of info there. Have a great trip. Ed.
Old December 31st, 2001, 01:47 PM
First Mate

We did well on recent South American cruise on HAL with small group tours (4-10 people) arranged through this company:

South Star Tours
www.southstartours.com

They make arrangements for you with local tour companies in various ports. Never took a single HAL trip, and had great tours...better than those that our table-mates had with HAL, and cheaper.
Old January 1st, 2002, 05:45 PM
Bob & Sharon

Hi -- yes, we are interested in your input on excursions: Falkland Islands, Punta Arenas, & Monte Video, Puerto Montt, Ushaiai. THANKS!!
Old January 12th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Kitty Bubb

I was on Ryndam (Holland America) for Dec. l-l8 Rio To Valpo cruise. Since I was solo I took most of the Ship tours however did some ports on my own and worked out fine. Montevideo, Punta Arenas (did on my own) As to Buenos Aires took the Barbeque Ranch Tour (great) - the City Highlights and the Tango Show (without dinner).. in Ushraia the Lake Alpine Drive was not worth $69 -- nice scenery but if you have been to Canadian Rockies, etc. that is much prettier-- long dusty road for 4 hours on the bus- you get off at one little Souvenier Place and see one lake - that's it.. I got to Rio the 2nd day (late) so only had time for a 3 hour taxi drive over the city- have his name if you are interested- great guide and reasonable price and reliable. Don't count on the Falklands- rough seas and we never got in.. I heard from reliable sources on HA that they very seldom get in... (Holland America does not emphasize this enough- its a marketing strategy).. to make you think you are going to get in... if the sea is calmer on the day you are to be in Falklands-- the problem is that its not enough time to unload all the tenders!!! which is a pain.. and if sea is rough before you get there-- that is what the problem is-- one ship might get in the whole winter... so do not buy any tickets or plan anything for that-- if you happen to get in- take the $l0 shuttle bus to see the Penguins or just "roam around the small town on your own"-- don't pre-buy any tour ticket.. Anything else you need specifically let me know-- will be happy to send information but do not want to bore you with lots of stuff you do not need!! kittyicky@aol.com
Old January 12th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Passenger

Thank you so-o-o much for the info on S.A. We don't go to Rio but the other info is great! Especially about the Falklands. Any info at all is appreciated as you know there is little information on the boards. We have found 3-4 other couples going and are trying to do some group touring on our own. It's a little difficult arranging but hopefully something can be worked out. Have a great next cruise!!! Carol