Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Rio to Valpo

Was looking at the Ryndam 3/21 from Rio to Valparaiso, however, found the Mercury, 3/17 same basic itinerary for MUCH and I mean MUCH cheaper.

One of the big differences is that the Mercury is in Rio only to board, and not on an overnight.

Should I fly in a day early, or assuming my flight gets in around 10 in the morning, can I see the highlights or Rio?
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2001, 01:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Rio to Valpo

We are sailing Mercury Rio to Valparaiso 1/3/02. We have purchased the 2-day pre-cruise package at the Sheraton Rio from Celebrity. Since we booked our own airfare ($695 round trip from San Francisco on United) it gives us a little insurance in getting to the ship on time in case of delays enroute, and also gives us some time to see this fascinating city. We got a great price by booking early (April, 2001) for a category 4 cabin on the Vista deck--$1,500 pp not including taxes, port charges, etc. I have sailed Celebrity before and was very pleased. I don't think you can beat a deal like this for a very exotic cruise. Just be prepared for the change of weather-Rio 90 degrees, Ushuaia, 30-40 degrees, and possible rough seas.
Old December 8th, 2001, 01:32 PM
E. Zelniker

We are taking Mercury on March 17th. We are flying into Rio the day before to see the city. Currently looking at air from San Diego @ 813. each tax included, found on orbitz.com. We are looking at staying at Guanabara Palace HOtel which includes transportation from airport! located in the city central. Currently trying to put together excursions in the ports, we don't like taking excursions from the ship. If you can help in this endeavor let me know. thanks. Ed/Ellen Zelniker. zel@adnc.com
Old December 8th, 2001, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Thanks, I guess we really should go in a day early to see Rio, just is gonna mean more fudging my schedule.

Will be in touch...
Old December 8th, 2001, 10:09 PM
First Mate

You might also need that day to get over jet lag
Old December 10th, 2001, 08:53 PM
First Mate

I would recommend at least a full day in Rio to see the sights, esp. if you plan to go up to the top of either Corcovado or Sugar Loaf. There is a LOT of heavy traffic in Rio, esp. on weekdays, so getting stuck in traffic needs to be planned on on any of the major streets or roads.

We just returned from the Ryndam (HAL) Valparaiso to Rio cruise, and use this company: www.southstartours.com for our land arrangements. Always had a small group (3-10 people) in a van instead of a bus. Buses are not allowed up to the Christ the Redemer statue in Rio. Bus tours require you to take the cog-wheeled rail to the top, with much more lines, and you miss the beautiful drive up (and completely miss the drive down the south side of the mountain through the Tujica National Park) which can only be done by van or car.

We arranged our own tours (all but one through South Star) at every port, and not only had better tours, but much cheaper.

Our roughest seas/weather was south of Valparaiso. It was very smooth from Cape Horn to Falklands and on to Rio, which I had thought would be the roughest, but I guess you never know. It was COLD in both Ushuaia (wind) and Puenta Arenas. Take gloves, hats and heavy coats for this. Even in spring (December) it was in the high 80s in Rio, and can be over 100 F with humidity of 60-80% in their summer. Buenos Aires and Santiago very similar weather to Southern California.

Puerto Montt was my favorite port. We had a wonderful driving tour through the lakes, volcanos and waterfalls here. We used Eureka Turiso (a local company) there. I can get their email address for anyone who wants it. Whatever you do, get out of the town here and out into the country. Puerto Varas was nice, but very crowded as every bus from the ship went here (the German museum, esp.). Several people took the river rafting trip here and had a nice time (although some had to swim!).
Old December 15th, 2001, 03:03 PM
First Mate

...I'd like to know if any cruise line offers a cruise around south america like from los angeles and ends up in los angeles or ft. lauderdale? Please e-mail me what you might know.This would save me from flying..I think this would be about a 40 day cruise..david..
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:58 PM
First Mate

I don't think any of them go round trip to the west coast. Generally there is a one-way repositioning cruise from the west coast to South America after either the Alaska or Mexican Riviera season so that they are in South America in their spring and summer and would probably not plan on going all the way north into winter weather. The return trip to LA or San Diego would then be in their late summer (our early Spring) when they are again going to Alaska or the other way to the Caribbean or Med.

The flight was not all that bad for us. 15 hours one way and 16 hours the other. We went on United and felt we had good service both ways, even if we did go tourist. We got bumped to Business class on our last leg home which did help a lot. A number of people used their frequent flyer miles to upgrade to 1st class or Business to get better seats.
Old December 18th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Minna Kisler

Thank you very much for offering the e-mail address of Eureka Turiso company, I would love to get in touch with them.
Our cruise starts on Jan.6'02.
Thanks again. Minna Kisler
Old January 1st, 2002, 11:46 PM
Bob & Sharon

could you please fprward the E_Mail for Eureka Touriso. ThanksKLD wrote:
>
> I would recommend at least a full day in Rio to see the
> sights, esp. if you plan to go up to the top of either
> Corcovado or Sugar Loaf. There is a LOT of heavy traffic in
> Rio, esp. on weekdays, so getting stuck in traffic needs to
> be planned on on any of the major streets or roads.
>
> We just returned from the Ryndam (HAL) Valparaiso to Rio
> cruise, and use this company: www.southstartours.com for our
> land arrangements. Always had a small group (3-10 people) in
> a van instead of a bus. Buses are not allowed up to the
> Christ the Redemer statue in Rio. Bus tours require you to
> take the cog-wheeled rail to the top, with much more lines,
> and you miss the beautiful drive up (and completely miss the
> drive down the south side of the mountain through the Tujica
> National Park) which can only be done by van or car.
>
> We arranged our own tours (all but one through South Star) at
> every port, and not only had better tours, but much cheaper.
>
> Our roughest seas/weather was south of Valparaiso. It was
> very smooth from Cape Horn to Falklands and on to Rio, which
> I had thought would be the roughest, but I guess you never
> know. It was COLD in both Ushuaia (wind) and Puenta Arenas.
> Take gloves, hats and heavy coats for this. Even in spring
> (December) it was in the high 80s in Rio, and can be over 100
> F with humidity of 60-80% in their summer. Buenos Aires and
> Santiago very similar weather to Southern California.
>
> Puerto Montt was my favorite port. We had a wonderful
> driving tour through the lakes, volcanos and waterfalls
> here. We used Eureka Turiso (a local company) there. I can
> get their email address for anyone who wants it. Whatever you
> do, get out of the town here and out into the country.
> Puerto Varas was nice, but very crowded as every bus from the
> ship went here (the German museum, esp.). Several people
> took the river rafting trip here and had a nice time
> (although some had to swim!).
Old January 3rd, 2002, 11:16 PM
First Mate

Sure. Here it is:

eureka-turismo@entelchile.net