Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2002, 12:41 PM
ed zelniker

Default yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

Our T.A. told us that Celebrity Cruises is recommending yellow fever vaccine for our 2 day stay in Rio DeJaneiro. Anybody else doing this?
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Default Re: yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

Ed-

I am leaving tomorrow for the 1/20 and 2/3 Mercury cruises. On the second one, we visit several ports in Brazil, but none to much further north than Rio. I DID get a yellow fever shot, but only because the Mercury was originally scheduled to come down from Florida through the northern Brazil ports (this was later changed) and who knows what bugs can travel on down south on the ship. Of course, the travel clinic I visited encouraged me to get the shot, and it was no big deal. It's also good for (I think) 10 years, in case you ever plan to return.

Contrary to public opinion, you don't need it for your Brazil visa.
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:23 PM
First Mate

It is not required for just Rio UNLESS you have been to a number of other South American Countries (Peru, Bolivia, Equador, etc.) where it is endemic. There is a good WHO website where you can read more about what is recommended for any country:

http://www.who.int/ith/english/index.htm
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Don Gannaway

We are taking the Royal Princess out of Manaus, Brazil and were told we couldn't get the visa without the yellow fever shot. They are very expensive and do last for 10 years.
Old January 22nd, 2002, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Anywhere north of Rio, and esp. the Amazon basin, this is HIGHLY recommended and required if you are traveling from here to other countries.
Old January 24th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned on Jan.6 from a 17 day cruise on the Ryndam, and spent two days in Rio. Did not need a yellow feaver shot.
But when you got to the air port to fly home we where taken to a room our bags were searched. But the girl put every thing back nice and neat.Then we had to show our passports 7 times befor we got o the plane.Rio air port is very small.Then we had to change planes in Sao Paulo, witch is very large. You may have to take a bus across the tar mac to board your plane.The buses are really wierd.
Old January 29th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to South America in March when we booked with HAL last year were told we would need Yellow Fever vacinations this was confirmed by the Gov. site and the Health Dept. we had our shots the first of the month no problem. We will be flying into Rio spending two days before our cruise. We were told could not enter Brazil without Internation Vacination Certificate and Visa which we also have applied for already awaiting its return to us via mail. Sandy
Old February 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Yellow fever is only required for those going to Brazil if you are are traveling through or from a place where it is endemic (for example, Venezuela, Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, etc.) or will be visiting an area of Brazil where is it endemic (for example the Amazon basin or rural areas of the state of Sao Paulo). The best place to get this information is from the World Health Organization site:

http://www.who.int/ith/english/index.htm

We were not required this on our South America cruise in 11/01 as we flew to Santiago and got off the ship in Rio, although you do have to have a Brazilian visa.
Old February 7th, 2002, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Please refer us to the gov site or any other official site you have seen that requires this shot. All I have read, including Brazil consulate Visa requirements. and other postings say just the opposite UNLESS one has traveled recently in a yellow fever risk country and you make no mention that you fall in that exception.
Old February 7th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Cynthia

Go to CDC site or the following is a great site. Click the country you want and then you will find Health to the right and click that.

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/navigate/region/sam.htm
Old February 13th, 2002, 11:29 PM
MariaPat

Going on HAL "Ryndam" in late March from Rio. Will fly to Sao Paulo first to do a pre-cruise trip to Iguazu Falls. Do I need to have a yellow fever shot or not? Arizona is very short on vaccine, so I am having a hard time finding it. No one has been able to give me a straight answer - yes or no!!!! HELP!!!!
Old February 18th, 2002, 08:30 PM
gann

MariaPat,
I would check with whoever you are getting your visa from. We could not get the visa without the yellow fever shot in order to fly into Manaus, Brazil which is on the Amazon River. Be sure and have enough time as the shots are expensive ($90) and they only give them twice a month where we live. We had to pay extra in order to get the visa back in time due to waiting to get the shots.
We had to enclose the International Vacination Certificate along with the visa request. Visa cost me $233 for the 2 of us. Good luck and have a great cruise.
Don
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:52 AM
mia

Default Re: Re: yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

MariaPat,
We plan to take the South America cruise with HAL.We live in Los Angeles, and the flight arrangements don't look good at all.I understand you live in Arizona.What was your flight itinerare?Did you book it through the Cruise line? Thanks A Lot Mia
Old November 20th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

I just picked up my visa for Brazil this morning at the consulate in San Francisco. Cost was $100 for US citizens and you are required to enter Brazil within 90 days. After your initial entry however, the visa is good for five years. Allow 3 business days for processing applications, even when you walk it through in person.

They inspected my itinerary very closely since I will be visiting a number of African countries before entry in Rio (Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar, South Africa, Namibia, St. Helena) and told me none of them necessitated the yellow fever innoculation. I had my certificate from a previous trip, anyway. It's a good one to keep current, just in case. Check your phone book or search online for "travel medicine clinics". There are several available here in Northern California.

Crystal Harmony, Alaskan Vistas
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

We booked our own flight from LA on United (through our TA) for our HAL Ryndam Valparisio to Rio trip, and saved a significant amount of money. Since you have to arrange your own airport transfers (or use the very expensive extra charge HAL ones) there is not a lot of advantage to booking through HAL.
Old November 21st, 2002, 01:58 PM
mia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: yellow fever vaccine for Rio?

Thank You KLD,
Actually, I contacted the Southstartours as you suggested; they offered me a very good deal for air,as well.Mia