Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2003, 11:08 AM
mia

Default yellow fever vaccine for SA cruises

Hello
WHO requires everybody going to SA to have an YFvaccination done in the last 10 years.
Where do you go for this? Tx Mia
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: yellow fever vaccine for SA cruises

Call your local hospital. They should know a travel clinic near you. We went to S.A. last Xmas and no vaccinations were required. We had the travel clinic give us typhoid/paratyphoid shots just in case.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:13 AM
Passenger

We have been in South America on a cruise and to Peru and the Galapagos last year and didn't need any yellow fever vaccine unless we were going into the Jungle. We are booked on a February cruise Santiago to Buenos Aires and haven't heard any mention of Yellow Fever vaccine needed. I have a liver problem and can't take the vaccine so I can't go to Africa or India. Mia, where are you going in S.A.? Check with your doctor or check the CDC website. I think it is only for travel into the Jungle or Amazon River.

Shoshona
Old October 7th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Passenger

We are going to SA on the 27th and were told that we won't even be allowed to board the ship without proof of a yf vaccination. I have checked numerous web sites and all say you will need to get one to go to SA or Africa. I would sure as hell rather get a shot than yellow fever....
Old October 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: yellow fever vaccine for SA cruises

I went to www.cdc.gov/travel and brought up the map of South America. There are just certain areas in S.A. where yellow fever is prevalent. My cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires is not affected. It's mostly inland and not on the coastal areas. The CDC said Yellow Fever vaccination is not needed for Chile or Argentina.

Shoshona
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Lorinda

you do not need vaccinations for SA - we just got back
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Ellis W. Meyers

We are also sailing from Santiago to Buenos Aires on February 1st on the Infinity. We have not heard of any vaccination being required, but there is a $100 per person cash fee to immigration when entering Chile.
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Beginner

We got ours at the travel clinic at our local hospital. Depends where you live, some of the bigger hospitals have travel clinics and they administer the shot. It's expensive but I think the cost is worth it expecially if you are going inland. I would call my local hospital or even ask my doctor he may know where to get the shot. Doctor's offices do not have the serum but travel clinics do.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on the Princess Feb23, Ba to Chile, and no shots are required
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:28 PM
First Mate

This depends upon the port (country) and the ports you have been to BEFORE you arrive at that port. For example, if you are going east-ward from Peru to Brazil, Brazil will require a YF immunization because it is endemic in Peru. It is not required if you are traveling from Chile to Brazil though. If you have to get a last minute immunization on the ship, it is VERY expensive. If you get one, it is good for 10 years. To me it was not worth worrying about getting into a jam (and the endemic areas are getting larger each year, just like for dengue fever for which there is no immunization), so I got it.

You can do a Google search for a traveler's clinic (I did this with my city name and the key words "travel clinic" and found one right near my workplace). They should also advise you on other health hazards in the area where you will be traveling, and have additional information on how to avoid mosquito bites, etc. (cause of dengue as well as yellow fever).
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
been there, done that

Yellow fever shot is not required for coastal areas of SA, but is DEFINITELY required if you are on a cruise that goes up the Amazon river.

Several passengers were not allowed to board our ship in Fort Lauderdale last month. They had to run around FLL by taxi in a panic to get a shot before the ship sailed.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
gann

We went up the Amazon river and had to have a yellow fever shot before we could board the ship. The travel clinic at one of our Hospitals only give them twice a month and they are very expensive. The shelf life of the serum is very short and they don't keep much on hand. Also had to have a visa for Brazil and they required us to send a copy of the yellow fever shot before they would issue the visa.
Don
Old February 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Captain

So how expensive are they? We may need one. Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Amsterdam sailing 2004 March 19 and/or March 31: it is MANDATORY to have documentation of yellow fever vaccine within the past 10 years (or a waiver from your doctor) or you do NOT board the ship.
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ddjwms

We were told we had to have a yellow fever shot (going to Manaus on the Crown Princess) so we called our local health dept. (Dallas) and they were out of the vaccine. We finally got it at a university travel clinic for about $80, but there was aqlso an office visit charge and a "counseling" charge. All in all, quite expensive...

Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

hi

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Mike & Charlotte

Did anybody have reactions to the yellow fever shots? Side effects? Can you go back to work? We've had some travel shots in the past that rendered us pretty much useless for a day or two.

Charlotte
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:16 AM
First Mate

I also got my yellow fever vaccinations at an excellent travel clinic (they also updated my DPT) and had no reactions other than a little arm soreness the next day.

If you have not had them, I would also recommend that you have hepatitis A immunizations ....a good idea for anyone who cruises for most of the world.
Old August 5th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Darlene and Dick

We are taking a Vantage cruise on Holland America around South America, leaving 10/24/04. Initially we were told we needed a yellow fever vaccination and Brazil was the country requiring it. Yesterday we got one - $80 each. After arriving home, we received another mailing saying we did not need any vaccines.
Old August 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM
lopac2

If you are traveling to Ecuador from Peru within 6 days Ecuador requires you to have a yellow fever shot.