Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Default Val to B.A - shore excursions?

Hi.

We are sailing on the Infiniti leaving Valparaiso on Feb 1/04 to B.A.and we're looking at shore excursions.

We rare particularly interested in any recommendations or observations on these ports of call: Ushuaya and Puerto Madryn in Argentina, Port Stanley and Montevideo.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Val to B.A - shore excursions?

The highlight of the trip is the Tango show at Senor Tango. It is a most amazing dinner and show that goes from 8:00 P.M. to about half past twelve. The cost is less than $50 p.p. including transportation from the ship. The theater is magnificent. Buenos Aires is a wonderful city. Stay several days if you can post cruise. You won't be sorry. There are wonderful B&Bs there in real neighborhoods for about $50 per night for two persons. Don't miss the graveyard/cemetary where Evita was burried. It is unbelievable.

You may want to read my review (this website) of our cruise last Christmas on the Zenith. We did the penguin rookery in Puerto Madryn. It is amazing but is a very long three hour boring bus ride in each direction.

We took the catimaran/bus tour to the national park in Ushuaya. It was a wonderful day with the magnificent Andes mountains as a backdrop.

In Montevideo we just walked around town and went to the flea market in the town square. It was an interesting day of shopping. There are very fine semi prescious stones here at very good prices. Leather goods are also very reasonable.

Our ship did not visit the Faulklands, sorry no report there.

Please e-mail me if you have further questions.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:26 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

We also will be on this cruise.
The following has a nice report on this same trip going from B.A to Santiago.
http://oldgatorstravels.com/

Joe
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:48 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Default Re: Re: Val to B.A - shore excursions?

Chuck,
Thanks for a very nice report. We are looking forward to it. I have been to two tango shows in B.A., but can't remember the name. There seem to be many and very reasonablely price. The shows are very enjoyable. I think I will take the video camera this time.
Joe
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

hung8
Tried to send you an e-mail but anti spam blocked it.
Casa Mario in Montevideo is a nice leather shop that I bought a jacket from in 1975 and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. I have had three linings put in.
In 1991 I went back and bought another leather jacket from the same store. It is on it's second lining. The leather has never cracked on either jacket.
We will probably visit the shop, and buy something we don't need. There were lots of nice things in ths shop.
I hope it is still open.
Looking forward to the cruise Feb. 1, 2004.
Joe
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Val to B.A - shore excursions?

In Ushusia we just walked around the cute little town and shopped, but there is a very nice history museum there (limited hours) you can walk to, and many people took boat trips here. I heard that the train excursion was vastly over-rated.

In Port Stanley I did not take a tour. The town is right at the dock and you can walk easily to all the sights here. I took the shuttle bus available at the dock ($10 round trip, credit cards accepted) to the penquin sanctuary, which included a brief drive around that end of the island. The docents at the penquin sanctuary were very helpful and led short hikes and talked about the animals, birds and plants. Even out of season it is a beautiful area, although seeing all the warning signs about land mines was a bit scary.

Took a free shuttle to a craft and leather store near downtown in Montevideo, then walked over the the large park nearby and just people-watched. Walked back to the leather store, bought a few souveniers and took the free shuttle back to the ship.

In Buenos Aires we took a city tour through www.southstartours.com and the went back to Calle Florida by cab and just walked and shopped. Lots of internet cafes in this area too. Go into a good hotel to get a reliable cab back to the ship through the desk staff instead of hailing one on the street.