Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Jim Read

Default Shore excursions in SA

We are going on a cruise around the horn from Buenos Aires on 2/29/03 on Celebrity. What tours are best in each port. My wife wants a tango show in Buenos Aires and I want wildlife and scenery on the rest of the trip. HELP!!! Email contacts for tours would be helpful. Thanks.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Shore excursions in SA

Look at some of the older posts on this forum and on the South American forum at www.cruisecritic.com for information on ports, tours and independent shore excursions.

We used www.southstartours.com and were very happy with their prices and tours. Many people also recommend Port Compass.
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Jim Read

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions in SA

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I will check out these sites.

When did you take your cruise to South America and on what cruise line?
Old January 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

Jim,
Go to www.cruisecritic.com and click on "boards"
Scorll down to Roll Call and find Celebrity here. Then find the Feb.29th 2004 departure. There are a lot of folks putting up notes about the cruise on the Infinity from I think Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.
Old January 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Passenger

I cruised on the Zenith Nov, 2002 from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. It was one of my best trips ever.

In Buenos Aires:
We at a wonderful restaurant called "Las Lilas" in Puerto Madero www.laslilas.com.ar

I recommend the city tour that takes you to Recoleta Cemetery and La Boca - very colorful. We took this tour from our hotel the day before the cruise. We also took the Tigre Delta River Cruise but had a terrible tour guide, while we enjoyed the Tigre Delta we did not enjoy the rest of the tour. We took the Gaucho Fiesta tour from the ship which we enjoyed. We booked a Tango show from one of the booths set up off the ship. We did the show without dinner. The show was excellent.

In Montevideo we took a city tour. It was interesting to see the residential areas. We had an interesting tour guide.

In Puerto Madryn we took the Peninsula Valdes tour. The bus ride was long but we throughly enjoyed this excursion. The sea elephants were so fun to watch. I woudl recommend this tour.

Around Cape Horn. We were so lucky! It was cold and windy but the sea was calm and visibility was good.

Ushuaia, very very windy. We took the AM Beagle Channel Navigation tour which was enjoyable but the water became quite rough. In the afternoon we walked around town and it really warmed up.

In Punta Arenas we took the Magdalena Island Natural Penguin Reserve tour. I highly recommend this tour. The boat ride to get there was long but worth it. The penguins were so much fun to watch and they are everywhere. They told us it is estimated that there are 70,000 Magellan Penguins on the island. I got carried away and took two rolls of film! When we got back to town it was pouring rain so we just went back on board.

In Puerto Montt we couldn't have had a nicer day. They say it rains here a lot but we had a sunny warm day. We arranged a private tour and it was wonderful. We visited a farm, saw the volcanos, visited the beautiful waterfalls on the Petrohue River. I would definately recommend going here. The scenery on this tour was beautiful. We had a wonderful lunch overlooking one of the Chilean lakes in Puerto Varas. We walked around town before going back on board. There were some good deals at the arts and craft booths in town especially on Alpacas scarves.

The cruise ended in Valparaiso. We hired a van for two days. There were 8 of us. We took a city tour when we arrived and then continued on to Vina del Mar, a seaside resort town. We stayed in Vina del Mar overnight. On our last day we visited the Easter Island Museum and Concha Y Tora vineyard. The grounds at the vineyard are beautiful. We took a quick tour of Santiago including a stop at Cerro San Cristobal, which has beautiful views of the city. Then it was off the the airport for our 10:40pm flight home.

This was a great cruise I would highly recommend. We also enjoyed the Zenith. The staff was wonderful, especially Chris, the cruise director and our waiter, Carmello.