Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Haroldbc

Default South America Cruise

We're cruising on Celebrity's ship Infintity from Santiago on February 1, 2004. Has anyone taken this cruise? If so, what are your comments?

If you're going to be on the same cruise let us know.

Harold
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:06 AM
been there, done that

Default Re: South America Cruise

Great cruise ... be prepared to pay about $50/each entry fee at the Santigo airport if you hold a US passport. --- CASH ONLY
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:58 PM
gann

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the fee is $100 per person payable in crisp US currency.
Don
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:30 PM
tcbmd@hotmail.com

the fee was $100 in cash when we were there on 12/12/03.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 02:28 PM
Beginner

I checked with the Chilean Embassy here in L.A. and it is $100 cash - and if we start charging more for Chilean citizens, they will start charging us more - quote, unquote. It is called a "reciprocity fee". Tit for tat.

I am leaving on thursday for my cruise on the Norwegian Crown. Just found out about this fee on line - not told by the cruise line, my travel agent or the airline I am flying - surprise, surprise. Hope that is the only surprise I run across.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: South America Cruise

Hi been there done that,

My husband and I are considering this itinerary and have mostly traveled (pretty extensively) in Europe as well as other cruises to Alaska, Caribbean, Hawaii, Panama Canal, etc. I guess you get the gist that we're looking for a new adventure and have heard that the South America cruises are great. Do you mind letting us know what you like about this itinerary compared to your other trips? I understand that the scenery is spectacular, so do you know what it would compare to?

Thanks,
Donna
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Dick Fuller

Just completed a trip on the NCL Crown from Buenos Aires to Santiago. Overall, the trip was fantastic, based on scenery, weather, and ports of call.. Scenery was much more than I expected, particularly going thru the fjords and glaciers. Had great weather on the trip, with only a short shower in the Falklands. Ship was good, basic transportation. Had cabin on level 5. Size of cabin and storage were excellent. Single beds were small, and mattresses need replacing. Liked open seating, free-style dining in main room, Seven Seas. Fodd quality and variety was excellent, and service was very good. Best at tables for 4 at rear sides of room. Tables for 8 in center were noisy, and service less good, but still fine. Didn't use Yacht Club buffet much after initial experiences. Very crowded, and seating was inadequate. Tried all specialty restaurants. Chopsticks (asian) had static menu, and not very authentic. Best thing about Italian one was view. Pasta was so-so, could get that in main room as well. Le Bistro was extra cost, but worth it for special occasions. Food was excellent, service was correct but impersonal. Wine list was good, and fairly priced. It was a hassle to bring wine on ship, but should have purchased more in ports of call and paid corkage. Both Chilean and Argentinian wines were very good.
In Buenos Aires, did Senor Tango show, which was one of trip highlights. Others did tango show offered thru Grand Circle, and liked that one as well, but higher cost. Shore excursions thru NCL were expensive, so did our own in most ports. In Puerto Madryn we went to the EcoCenter, again a trip highlight, and toured city on our own. Everything in Port Stanley, Falklands, is within easy walking distance, so no tour there. In Ushuaia did the Beagle Channel catamaran, which was worthwhile, then toured city on our own. Those who took longer tours were very disappointed. Long rides with very little to see. Did ship's penguin tour in Punta Arenas, which was good. Others, who spoke the language, did the same on their own. Went for lunch to Sotito's, close to ship's dock and enjoyed king crab for lunch, along with great pisco sours. Did our own tours, arranged at the dock, in both Chacabuco and Puerto Montt, with great success. In Chacabuco 8 of us got a van for $30 each which took us to Coihaique and other places same as ship's tour, but much more enjoyable. Same in Puerto Montt, with 6 in a van for $30 each, to Frutillar, Puerto Varas, city tour, and ended at very nice seafood restaurant for lunch on our own, then back to ship. Tour from Valparaiso thru Vina del Mar, with stop for lunch at ranch/winery, to Santiago was included with Grand Circle, and very worthwhile. Did Pre-Columbian museum on our own rather than Grand Circle tour. Others said time was very limited at museum on tour. Had great seafood lunch in Bellavista at Azul Profundo (Deep Blue) near Pablo Neruda's house.
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Dick Fuller

Just completed a trip on the Crown from Buenos Aires to Santiago. Overall, the trip was fantastic, based on scenery, weather, and ports of call.. Scenery was much more than I expected, particularly going thru the fjords and glaciers. Had great weather on the trip, with only a short shower in the Falklands. Ship was good, basic transportation. Had cabin on level 5. Size of cabin and storage were excellent. Single beds were small, and mattresses need replacing. Liked open seating, free-style dining in main room, Seven Seas. Fodd quality and variety was excellent, and service was very good. Best at tables for 4 at rear sides of room. Tables for 8 in center were noisy, and service less good, but still fine. Didn't use Yacht Club buffet much after initial experiences. Very crowded, and seating was inadequate. Tried all specialty restaurants. Chopsticks (asian) had static menu, and not very authentic. Best thing about Italian one was view. Pasta was so-so, could get that in main room as well. Le Bistro was extra cost, but worth it for special occasions. Food was excellent, service was correct but impersonal. Wine list was good, and fairly priced. It was a hassle to bring wine on ship, but should have purchased more in ports of call and paid corkage. Both Chilean and Argentinian wines were very good.
In Buenos Aires, did Senor Tango show, which was one of trip highlights. Others did tango show offered thru Grand Circle, and liked that one as well, but higher cost. Shore excursions thru NCL were expensive, so did our own in most ports. In Puerto Madryn we went to the EcoCenter, again a trip highlight, and toured city on our own. Everything in Port Stanley, Falklands, is within easy walking distance, so no tour there. In Ushuaia did the Beagle Channel catamaran, which was worthwhile, then toured city on our own. Those who took longer tours were very disappointed. Long rides with very little to see. Did ship's penguin tour in Punta Arenas, which was good. Others, who spoke the language, did the same on their own. Went for lunch to Sotito's, close to ship's dock and enjoyed king crab for lunch, along with great pisco sours. Did our own tours, arranged at the dock, in both Chacabuco and Puerto Montt, with great success. In Chacabuco 8 of us got a van for $30 each which took us to Coihaique and other places same as ship's tour, but much more enjoyable. Same in Puerto Montt, with 6 in a van for $30 each, to Frutillar, Puerto Varas, city tour, and ended at very nice seafood restaurant for lunch on our own, then back to ship. Tour from Valparaiso thru Vina del Mar, with stop for lunch at ranch/winery, to Santiago was included with Grand Circle, and very worthwhile. Did Pre-Columbian museum on our own rather than Grand Circle tour. Others said time was very limited at museum on tour. Had great seafood lunch in Bellavista at Azul Profundo (Deep Blue) near Pablo Neruda's house.

Departure tax is $26 per person at airport, but ours was included as part of tour cost.
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: South America Cruise

Dick, thanks for the all of the detail in your report. I think I have thanked everyone else that e-mailed me directly, and I do appreciate all the info very much.

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:26 AM
kenneth Munro

Great Cruise and you will have a lot of fun. If you need asisitant regarding shore excursions or transfer or hotel reservation suggest you visit www.turismonuevomundo.cl
e mail contacto@turismonuevomundo.cl
Great company
regards
Kenneth
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Beginner

What if you are Canadian does this charge applie
Or is it the same for any none resident of this Country.
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Beginner

Dick,
Thanks so much for the short review of your SA cruise on the Crown. We will be going on the same cruise in January, and have been researching what to do in the various ports. Your experiences will certainly help us when deciding what to do.

Dee