Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
loua

Default Transport: Santiago to Valpariso

Thinking of booking a SA cruise which originates in Valpariso...SInce I have many FF miles I would be making our own airline arrangements...I'm curious about the trip from Santiago to Valpariso...any idea regarding cost, mode of transport (taxi,bus, cae svc, etc) travel time, safety, etc...any detail would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Mark Calkin

Default Re: Transport: Santiago to Valpariso

Cruise line can sell you a transfer for about $70/person. It's a long drive.
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Mark Calkin

to leave it is $26/person. This is in retaliation of the US's requirement of Chilean's (some of the nicest people on the planet). having to get a visa to enter the US which costs them about $100. Of course Chile does not require a visa for US citizens
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:28 PM
tcbmd@hotmail.com

Just got back from SA cruise Valparaiso to Buenos Aires 5 weeks ago... Santiago to Valparaiso is about 80 miles -took us about 2 hours by van -there were 3 of us with lots of luggage -cost $100. with tip. Our ride was arranged by our hotel. You can also go much more cheaply with TURBUS- local bus - very safe (all of Santiago is) but getting your luggage to the pick-up location maybe a problem. Taxi is safe but will also cost you $100. If you are arriving at the airport on the day you sail, travel with the cruise pick-up ...my niece did that -get a voucher/schedule of pick-up times from your cruise line - usually cheaper - NCL charged her $50.
A US citizen pays $100. (cash ONLY) for entry into Chile (less for Australian, and Canadians and Mexican, none from other countries - true- it is retaliation for same fee for US Visa app for Chilean nationalities
Hope this is helpful - will be happy to give more info if you wish for more. Our cruise was for 14 days.

Cherie
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Transport: Santiago to Valpariso

Hi Cherie,

My husband and I are considering this itinerary since we have traveled extensively in Europe and other traditional cruise destinations. Can you tell me what you liked about this trip and how it compares with other destinations?

Thanks,
Donna
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM
First Mate

There is a tour company that you can contact directly owned by Francisco Moreno (Pancho). He speaks English.
Cell# 09-9917393
fax# 56-32722142
website www.transfran.8m.com
email transfran@chile.com
He has clearance from the National Tourism Office to enter the pier.

Have a great cruise.

Old February 17th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Transport: Santiago to Valpariso

Cherie,

I'm taking this cruise on NCL later this year. Do you know anyone who did a shore excursion to Torres del Paine? It's pricey but sounds like an ideal excursion.

lisa
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM
kenneth Munro

Distances is about 130 km about 85 miles great road and beatifull views. On your way you can stop for a wine tour and prior you board he ship you can included a city tour to the city of Viana del Mar and Valparaiso, suggest you visit the following w.s. www.turismonuevomundo.cl e mail contacto@turismonuevomundo.cl They will assist there as well in others ports of call.
regards
Kenneth
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Lori Brown

Have you looked into www.portcompass.com??
They offer great excursions plus transport to Valpariso. We are using them for a Princess cruise that leaves Feb. 24th. I have emailed them with questions regarding several tours and they are very responsive and very accomidating. I got the referral from several other reviews I read. We are also doing a one day extension with them in Buenos Aries to visit the Iguasu Falls region.

Good luck.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Dileep

Old September 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by loua
Thinking of booking a SA cruise which originates in Valpariso...SInce I have many FF miles I would be making our own airline arrangements...I'm curious about the trip from Santiago to Valpariso...any idea regarding cost, mode of transport (taxi,bus, cae svc, etc) travel time, safety, etc...any detail would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance....
Hi,
The report at this link might help.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...infinity23.cfm
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Call and see if they will offer you an open jaw ticket so that added commute is not necessary. That's what we did and it worked well for us.
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Beginner

We are taking the same cruise - I just booked my airfare on AA yesterday. We are hiring a private guide to pick us up at the airport, take us to a hotel for a couple of days, take us on a couple of tours and then drop us off at the port. Although I haven't decided who to go with as yet, I have received quotes from Defrantur Tours and LatinTrip.

Mary Lou
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Passenger

My wife and I go on board of the crown in March 2006, we have quoted many company, we have decided make adjustments of transfer and trips in the city of Santiago and Valparaiso with www.enaturchile.com they will have a car a driver and a guide for us,