Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Mike & Charlotte

Default Chile's "RECIPROCITY FEE" AT AIRPORTS??

Has anybody heard anything lately about the Chilean "Reciprocity Fee" for Americans? In the spring it was reported on the Boards that the fee was $100 cash per person upon landing, but I've heard nothing about it recently. Are they still charging? Is it for both arrivals and departures? Would like to hear from those who have recently used the Santiago airport.

Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Bunni

Default Re: Chile's "RECIPROCITY FEE" AT AIRPORTS??

The fee is $100 for US citizens arriving at a Chilian airport. The fee is different depending on what country you're from. You pay it before passport control. It's good for the life of your passport. Our trip is in December. I'll report back if anything is different.

I'm not sure, but I've been told that you don't pay it if you arrive by ship.
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Mike & Charlotte

Thanks, Bunni. I found another Chilean site that described the fee more fully. It's $100 for those who have a US passport, a different amount for Australians, and $35 for Canadians. The fee is only for those who fly in, and is collected in your country's currency, cash. And they want crisp new bills, according to what many have posted on Cruise Critic, nothing worn or dogearred. You pay it before you go through customs and before you collect your luggage. However, I'm told that it's for those who arrive by air only, not for those who arrive by ship.

So, if you fly to Santiago before a cruise, expect to pay. On the other hand, those of us who will disembark a ship in Valpo and fly out, or who are back-to-backers in transit, there is no "reciprocity" fee.

However, those of us flying out aren't off the hook completely. People who recently returned from a tour of Chile said that there is a $26 departure fee, payable in your own country's currency (for me, crisp new US dollars) at the airport checkin counter.

Charlotte
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:58 AM
kenneth Munro

They still are asking the amount of Usd 100. (only one time fees and is valid as long as youir passport is valid)
regards
Kenneth Munro