Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Default Things to do in Rio

Post transitioning cruise in November, we'll be spending a week in Rio. We've been there before so have seen the real touristy things. Does anyone have a special place that they loved? What about a restaurant where the locals eat? We're VERY adventurous so nothing is too far out for us
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via MSN to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via Yahoo to fl_tpa_1956male

Novice here.

I am contemplating HAL Dec. 2007 rio to antarctica (cruise by) to Valparaiso, Chile. Will I be safe in Rio for a week? Will stay in Hostels in Rio and Chile.

Any recommendations on safe hostels or pensions?

FL_TPA_1956swm@yahoo.com
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Passenger

I can't give you recommendations for hostels etc. But hopefully I can reassure that you should feel completely safe in Rio. The first time I went was about ten years ago and some of the things I read were unnerving. But we NEVER felt one bit uncomfortable. We lived in San Francisco and anyone who has spent much time in big/congested cities live by the motto: don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there. A place in any city where I'd feel safe during the day wouldn't necessarily be that late at night. If we're walking down a street and a person(s) is walking towards us that gives us pause, cross the street. If they cross to follow you - run like heck Having said that I've never had to. I wouldn't go to gawk at the favelas in Rio. It is the most primitive, bone-achingly poor area in Rio on the hillsides. I understand from recent reading that they're actually doing organized tours there. I think that's pretty awful - just what those poor people need is a bunch of affluent (to them) tourists gawking at them! Rio has an energy that I've never felt anywhere else. It's one of our favorite cities. So buy a good guide book and definitely go. BTW, I've heard that cruise is GREAT! Have a great time.