Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Default South America on Infinity departing Buenos Aires 25 Feb 2007

We recently found this web-site and after reading some of the earlier postings, it looks like we need to bring cold weather clothing for this trip!
(We thought that it was late summer then south of the equator!)

Any way, this will be our 1st trip to South America. We will fly to B.A. 5 days before the cruise to adjust to the time change, and enjoy the sights and sounds of Buenos Aires. Any advice on transportation from the airport to our hotel (Kempinski Hotel???) in Buenos Aires? Is the pier near anything of interest (we don't sail out of B.A. until late at night, so if we check in early, can we get off the ship and do some local sightseeing?)

After the cruise, we will stay in Valparaiso/ Vina Del Mar for 2 nights and then will need to transfer to Santiago, where we still have 2 more nights available before we fly home. Any suggestions on what to see, do, and avoid will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jerry & Phyllis
Boynton Beach, Florida
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

BA is great. The best way to get to your hotel is via a private cab. A large desk for cabs is front and center in the arrivals area once you clear customs.

Multiple Kempinski hotels in BA. The nicest is in the Recoleta district - named for the cemetry. Lot's of restaurants and shops. Upscale neighborhood. Also it is an easy walk to the art museum.

I have never sailed from BA, but I doubt the port is by anything too great. Even if you get on the ship, it is still easy to get around. Cabs were quite inexpensive on my visit 2 years ago.

Sunday street fair in Sant Elmo is very good. Palermo distict is nice. The old port beyond the Casa Roja is fun with some trendy restaurants and a pleasant stroll. Florida Street is the big central pedestrian shopping mall. You also need to go to a Tango show.

If you have a chance, I would go to Iguassu Falls. It is an awesome sight on the border with Brazil. This is a minimum 2 day trip. The delta is a fun as is a trip south to the beaches.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:05 AM
Passenger

Thank you very much for the suggestions and advice. We leave for BA in 2 weeks and 2 days! The Kempinski Hotel that we will be staying at is the Park Elegance! It is suppose to be within walking distance of Calle Florida! The Sunday Street Fair sounds like something that would be different. What is St Elmo.. a street, or a different city? Would anyone in BA know where it is, and is it a morning, all day, or evening event?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Made a mistake - the fair is in San telmo which is a barrio within BA. Everyone in the city will know of it as it is quite popular. It pretty much runs all day until about 5 or 6PM. The street also has a few art galleries many antique shops. I wish I new something about it as the deals are probably pretty good compared to US.

If you like red wine, you will need to drink at least one or two bottles of Malbec. They are really great and I have started shopping for them back home in CA.

Make sure that you ask at you hotel regarding the distance to Calle Florida before walking. I think it may be a couple of miles. The metro is also pretty good if it is nearby. However, with cabs so inexpensive it doesn't make too much sense.
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Beginner

Default South American Cruise

We are taking a Buenos Aires to Satiago cruise on Princess Cruise line March 30,08. Will be staying in BA for couple of night before the cruise
and would appreciate any info about BA ( e,g., best way to go from airport to downtown area & downtown hotel to cruise terminal etc ) and shore excursion experience you have on other cruise ports....

Thanks a lot

steve c
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: South American Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksw
We are taking a Buenos Aires to Satiago cruise on Princess Cruise line March 30,08. Will be staying in BA for couple of night before the cruise
and would appreciate any info about BA ( e,g., best way to go from airport to downtown area & downtown hotel to cruise terminal etc ) and shore excursion experience you have on other cruise ports....

Thanks a lot

steve c
Best way to get from airport to BA is a car service that can be hired at the airport. There will be a kiosk (booth) there that will quote you a flat fee. A reasonable tip to the driver would be around 10%! From your hotel to the cruise terminal (very close) is a cheap taxi fare away!
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Chicsw, I just posted this on a nother thread. Hope it helps
richard

Stargazer, we did that in reverse, plus Antartica on HAL Ryndam 4 years ago. We took a tour that featured a boat ride on a lake at the foot of two huge volcanoes near Puerto Montt. I highly reccomend that. Not much at Ushuiah, which is the end of the world. You might want to just walk around town there. There was a penguin tour of some kind though. As for Punta Arenas, it is a very interesting small city with a very nice walking tour.

You have a real treat in store with the "inside passage" (reminded me of Alaska in some ways) between Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt. spectacular scenery with gigantic glaciers nearby and fantastic scenery.

Be sure and rent and watch 'Evita' before you go and go see her grave at Recoleta Cemeterio while in BA. The cemetery is unique in the world! One of the evening tango shows is well worth the money too!

It will be a great time! bon voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08