Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:48 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama
Default South America - Your Thoughts

We are considering a cruise to South America next Jan - is this a good time to go weather wise?? what type of weather does one encounter when
going around Cape Horn?? Is it really cold - I thought our winter was summer for South Amer. - we have sailed Celebrity and loved it - what other lines do you recommend?? Have read mixed reviews about the Azamara ships - anyone?? My husband has walking issues - what are the
shore excursions like?? easy, moderate or strenous - we don't speak ANY
Spanish - is that a problem??
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Yes, January is a great time to do a South America cruise. (We have done it) And yes, winter in the northern Hemisphere is indeed summer there. You will probably be cruising form Valparaiso Chile to Buenos Aires Arg. --or visa versa. It will be pretty warm in both places. but not really hot.

Punta Arenas, Ushuaia and Cape Horn However are very far south. Cape Horn is about 57 degree south, roughly the same as Kodiak Alaska in July in the North. So it can be pretty chilly even in the summer. but not dead of winter cold. The weather around the Horn can be nice and calm, or ghastly, or anything in between. Our cruise went on south to Antarctica and the waters between Cape Horn and the Antarctic Peninsula are always among the world's roughest.

I would recommend Holland America or Princess for this cruise. Don't know if Celebrity does them. I know nothing of Azamara.

The shore excursions range in intensity, some are very easy some are tougher. They will be identified as to which is which.

Lack of Spanish will pose no problem for you at all. It is a great cruise. the scenery on the inside passage between Puerto Mondt and Cape horn is unbelievable

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

I did a little research ofn the web on Azamara and they look good to me. we might give them a try! I read a couple of reviews both here

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...mara/index.cfm

and on cruisecritic that looked good.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
First Mate

Thanks - we'll keep looking. Did you need visas for any of the countries??
I would love to include Rio - how long is the flight from Miami?? There were some really terrific specials this winter including airfare, gratuities and even shipboard credits but for personal reasons - we were not able to
take advantage. Also, with so many new ships being built in the next couple of years - wonder what effect that will have on prices - maybe we
could see a "price war" - wouldn't that be nice!!
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Can't remember for sure but I think maybe we needed a visa for Ecuador. the rest of 'em they just stamped the passports before they cleared the ship at the first prt for each country. I know we had to have proof of yellow fever immunization for Ecuador. Our cruise was a long one 35 days on Holland America's Ryndam. Started in San Diego and ended in Rio with Antarctica included in the cruise. In addition to Antarctica we had ports in Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. So our only air fare was from Denver to SD and from Rio to Miami then on to Denver. Rio to Miami was an overnighter.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Holland America departs from Valparaiso and sails to Rio or vice versa. They are the only cruise line that goes all the way up to Rio for the Cape Horn itinerary. The others (Celebrity, Princess, NCL) only go as far as Buenos Aires.
The trip is 16-days if you bypass Antarctica and 20-days if you include Antarctica.

We’ve taken the 16-day cruise and it’s fantastic. Rio de Janeiro is one of the most beautiful and vibrant places I’ve ever visited. We stayed in Rio for three extra nights after the cruise.

Holland America ports in Buenos Aires for two full days. The scenery from Tierra del Fuego and up the coast of Chile is magnificent. You'll need a visa for Brazil. It's good for five years. You'll also need Yellow Fever vaccinations for Brazil.

Currently, the Rotterdam is the ship HAL is using for this cruise. It’s a mid-size ship, holding 1,600 passengers.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Captain

We just did the "Splendour o/t Seas" last month (Feb) and even though it was summer, weather very static. Great itinerary but really couldn't see much of the beauty around the Cape and Straits due to clouds. Cleared up again as we headed up the coast of Chile. Was disappointing not to see everything and wouldn't go back, but we don't regret the trip either.
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Passenger

The Infinity has been sailing this itinerary for a while..........She will be back there again this winter.
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

We just booked the Infinity for March 15, 2009 from Valparaiso through the Panama Canal to Ft. Lauderdale......can't wait!
Angela Z.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:11 AM
First Mate

Hi Angela: We did the full transit from LAX to FLL on the Celebrity "Summit" last Jan. 2007. Was a marvelous trip. Enjoy !!
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Cannot speak for January. Went in March and the weather was great. Cool, but not COLD. Cape Horn was unpassable the day we got to it
(winds at 70 knotts) so pictures were taken at the tip and the ship went back thru Ushuaia and on.... loved the whole adventure on Celebrity Infinity. Only booked one tour from the ship to see the penguins.... the one that uses the ferry to Magdalena Island.... awesome!

Other tours we picked up at the dock in each port. Major savings compared to the ships tours. Walking is everywhere. But I did see people with wheel chairs, so I know it can be accommodated. With the smaller tour groups, your husband can choose to stay closer to the van and only stroll at his leisure.

Good luck and have a great cruise!