CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-america/)
-   -   Currency on South American Cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-america/347395-currency-south-american-cruise.html)

Jschaffa February 25th, 2008 10:18 AM

Currency on South American Cruise

I just want to know if I will need local currencies for incidental expenses when going ashore in Chile and Uruguay. We have a post cruise package in Buenos Aires and I know that I will need Argentinian Pesos then. Can someone who has cruised this itinerary please let me know. Thanks.

Kegan36604 February 25th, 2008 05:04 PM

Re: Currency on South American Cruise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jschaffa
I just want to know if I will need local currencies for incidental expenses when going ashore in Chile and Uruguay. We have a post cruise package in Buenos Aires and I know that I will need Argentinian Pesos then. Can someone who has cruised this itinerary please let me know. Thanks.

While I can't say specifically for those ports, as a general rule, in the shops close to the port, they will take American dollars. If this becomes part of your plan, it is always a good idea when traveling abroad to carry lots of singles. You don't stand a good chance of getting change when paying in dollars. And if you do happen to get change, you'll typically get it in local currency. Having small bills facilitates this.

Two soapbox items if you'll indulge me.......

1. Don't sweat over the change. Sometimes we go on 'autopilot' expecting (exact) change. In many South and Central American ports, trying to get some change even from local currency may be a matter of a few nickles and dimes. Let the shop keeper keep it if they don't have the coinage readily available. It just might make his day.

2. When I wind up with extra foreign currency, use it in your tip envelope or as an extra tip. Personally, I add it to what ever I was going to tip anyway. Afterall- I may not ever go back to Uruagy, but the bus-boy or pool-guy is probably heading there next week, and the week after, etc. At least he can use it to buy a few things in port.

Final point.... when are you heading to those ports and on what ship? I'm heading that way March 16th on Celebrity.

Jschaffa February 25th, 2008 06:51 PM

Thanks for your advice. We are heading out on March 1 on the Infinity and planning on a short stay in Buenis Aires following the cruise. We met some Argentinian folks on a previous cruise and are looking forward to seeing them again.

bonsai3s March 20th, 2008 12:59 PM

:D We just came back from Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. As stated, dollars are accepted everywhere. You can use any major credit cards for large purchases. Please be advised that the U.S. dollar has lost its value and expect higher prices. For example, the cost of entering Chile has gone up from $100 to $131. Imagine the surprised faces of Americans holding $100 bills and then being told it has gone up to $131. Perhaps the most amusing example are the craft markets/vendors...they are charging more and are less likely to haggle...but it was all fun.