Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Currency on South American Cruise

I just want to know if I will need local currencies for incidental expenses when going ashore in Chile and Uruguay. We have a post cruise package in Buenos Aires and I know that I will need Argentinian Pesos then. Can someone who has cruised this itinerary please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Currency on South American Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschaffa
I just want to know if I will need local currencies for incidental expenses when going ashore in Chile and Uruguay. We have a post cruise package in Buenos Aires and I know that I will need Argentinian Pesos then. Can someone who has cruised this itinerary please let me know. Thanks.
While I can't say specifically for those ports, as a general rule, in the shops close to the port, they will take American dollars. If this becomes part of your plan, it is always a good idea when traveling abroad to carry lots of singles. You don't stand a good chance of getting change when paying in dollars. And if you do happen to get change, you'll typically get it in local currency. Having small bills facilitates this.

Two soapbox items if you'll indulge me.......

1. Don't sweat over the change. Sometimes we go on 'autopilot' expecting (exact) change. In many South and Central American ports, trying to get some change even from local currency may be a matter of a few nickles and dimes. Let the shop keeper keep it if they don't have the coinage readily available. It just might make his day.

2. When I wind up with extra foreign currency, use it in your tip envelope or as an extra tip. Personally, I add it to what ever I was going to tip anyway. Afterall- I may not ever go back to Uruagy, but the bus-boy or pool-guy is probably heading there next week, and the week after, etc. At least he can use it to buy a few things in port.

Final point.... when are you heading to those ports and on what ship? I'm heading that way March 16th on Celebrity.
Nov. 2002 Carnival Legend Western Caribbean
May 1998 Royal Caribbean Enchantment Mediterranean
Nov. 1996 Carnival Fascination Southern Caribbean
April 1988 American Hawaiian Hawaiian Islands
Nov. 1986 Regency Western Caribbean
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your advice. We are heading out on March 1 on the Infinity and planning on a short stay in Buenis Aires following the cruise. We met some Argentinian folks on a previous cruise and are looking forward to seeing them again.
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We just came back from Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay. As stated, dollars are accepted everywhere. You can use any major credit cards for large purchases. Please be advised that the U.S. dollar has lost its value and expect higher prices. For example, the cost of entering Chile has gone up from $100 to $131. Imagine the surprised faces of Americans holding $100 bills and then being told it has gone up to $131. Perhaps the most amusing example are the craft markets/vendors...they are charging more and are less likely to haggle...but it was all fun.