CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Air arrangements for Hawaiian Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256105-air-arrangements-hawaiian-cruises.html)

bobwzr April 3rd, 2001 12:24 PM

Air arrangements for Hawaiian Cruises

Howdy all,
I am planning a honeymoon cruise to...somewhere! Can't decide. I would like to go on Rhapsody or Radiance RCI to Hawaii from Ensenada, Mex., but I would like to use frequent flyer miles to get there and back. Given that you either fly to LA, take a bus to Ensenada, cruise, and fly back from Hawaii (or the reverse) it must be hard to book airfare independently without getting killed on price. Does anyone have any experience with using ff miles for this type of itenarary, or have any advice on how to get the best deal on airfare?
between cruises in texas

Pam April 14th, 2001 05:12 PM

Re: Air arrangements for Hawaiian Cruises

You do get killed on price. It is always easier to use frequent flier miles to and from the same port and go in a day ahead and go out the day after. We did that out of Vancouver and used frequent flier to Seattle and back, rented a car and left it at the port in Vancouver at $10/day. It was cheaper to do that then to pay for the airline tickets and we got a little extended vacation, plus got to see some cities that we had never been to. If you want to go to Hawaii, I would stick with the cruise lines that only sail around Hawaii. Don't forget you will spend 2 or 3 days as sea before even getting to Hawaii. The cruise lines that just do Hawaii are, American, United States Line and NCL. They sail out of Honolulu.

The Rhapsody is a great ship and the Radiance is brand new. We took the Rhapsody to Alaska- FANTASTIC!

Happy Honeymoon!

Pam

Cruisin' Chris April 15th, 2001 04:47 PM

You CAN use FF miles with this type itinerary (at least on United and Delta). I'm planning on using United miles for my November Ensenada - Honolulu cruise!

Have a great time and congrats!

mitch April 16th, 2001 09:03 AM

chris,can I ask what cruiseline u are cruising with? and maybe where from?. I too have ff miles with usair(united partner)
and delta, and Im crusin in novemeber with carnival. Im leaving
from pittsburgh and want to upgrade to 1st class. I dont have my docs yet and Im woundering who carnival will use as a air carier
from pitt to honolulu. thankx Mitch

jc June 6th, 2001 04:12 PM

We are doing the Radiance of the Seas in October from Vancouver to Hawaii. I tried to do ff miles for a flight from missouri to Vancouver and from Hawaii to Missouri. I was told that you would have to have the miles for round trip to both Hawaii and a round trip to Vancouver because a one way ticket costs more. I think this is major BS, but that was their final answer so we booked overpriced air with RCI. Going to cost the cruise lines a cruise someday, because I will probably do a land vacation with my miles.

jc

Ardie June 9th, 2001 12:10 AM

Have fun on the Radiance of the Sea. You'll love the ship. Also, you will love Hawaii. I know all of the islands, if you have questions, and I have sailed on the Radiance.

cc June 9th, 2001 03:22 PM

We cruised to Hawaii in April and made our own ff air arrangements. It was perfect. We just gave the flight details to Princess Cruises, and they still arranged our airport pickup and transfers and baggage handling. Our trip also included a 3-day post cruise stay in Honolulu. We'd do it all again in a minute.

Cruisin' Chris June 15th, 2001 06:27 PM

The bad news is that the cruiselines generally won't book you in a full fare coach seat, so you won't be able to use miles to upgrade!

mitch June 17th, 2001 02:27 AM

sorry to hear that,but thankx for the info.

John L. June 23rd, 2001 08:13 PM

We did Hawaii in April on the Infinity with a 3 day land in Honolulu before boarding. The air from New Jersey and back was $300/pp. In November we are doing the opposite but on the Vision with 4 days in Honolulu after the cruise. The air is also $300/pp including transfers to Ensenada from San Diego. We had to pay an extra $35/pp for the deviation. This will be with Continental and is nonstop from Honolulu to NJ. These rates are much lower than those published on the internet with Travocity.com. I believe the airlines give discounted rates on certain routes to the cruise lines that you cannot match unless you have the frequest flier miles.

John L

mitch June 25th, 2001 07:31 AM

r u saying that u got your airline tickets through the cruise line?

Tracey June 30th, 2001 07:43 PM

We are going in Oct. from Vancouver to Hawaii, and I thought we too would have to use the cruiseline due to two one way tickets. They were charging us 689. per person. But I got onto TWA's website and booked a RT to Vancouver for 390.00 and then a one way from Honolulu to Vancouver for 234.00 saving us 65.00 per ticket (there is 4 of us, so a 260.00 savings). Also, the flight out of Honolulu is the red eye, but the Vancouver flights are great--we could choose our route. RCL had us with 6 hour layover on the way there. TWA and United are both offering a 20-25% discount if you book on their website before July 8th and fly before Oct. 31st.

Cheryl July 14th, 2001 10:15 PM

Hi Ardie,

My husband and I are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas to Hawaii, October 20, 2002. We are renewing our vows for our 20th wedding anniversary. We have an E3 cabin with a balcony. My husband is an advant cyclist, who races (not professionaly). Have you done the bicycle excursion? I believe it is in Maui. Shore excursions, are they best purchased in advance. Oh, I read a review that warned to stay away from deck7 (E3 only) cabins, that the view is somewhat obstructed.......is it? What shore excursion is romanatic?

Thank you in advance,
Cheryl