Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2001, 03:31 PM
10X

Default Hawaii Question

This is for all of you who have experienced the Ensenada-Hawaii trip.

We're trying to get a feel for scheduling for the air portion of this trip, especially as it relates to the bus trip to Ensenada. We are sailing February 17-27, 2002.

We fly from Michigan, so travel in the winter is not a given. Going a day ahead is preferred, if only for peace of mind that we have lots of time to get there if the weather turns bad. We will already be doing air deviation because we will be spending a couple of extra days in Honolulu after the cruise.

We'd like to fly to San Diego for the shorter bus trip.

Can anyone give us information on where the buses leave from and what sort of schedule they have? If we go a day ahead, will we have to go back to the airport for the bus or do any leave from nearby hotels? What would be too early/late to get to where the buses leave from, so we don't have to wait around for hours on end for one?

Anything else you think we should be aware of that would be helpful is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2001, 07:31 PM
cc

Default Re: Hawaii Question

Departed from Phila at 7:00 am. However, our flight took us to L.A. A waiting shuttle took us to the Westin Hotel, where we got the bus for Ensenada. The departure time from the Westin was set in advance (around Noon Pacific Time if I recall). Others joined us in the lobby as their flights arrived, plus locals came via Taxi. The bus then stopped in San Diego where we stretched our legs, got a bite to eat, etc. At that time, our ship boarding passes were prepared for distribution on the ride from San Diego to Ensenada. When we got to Ensenada, all we had to do was walk on the ship. It was leisurely in L.A. The people waiting at the hotel in San Diego was a mob scene. The hospitality room ran out of water, etc. We just got out of the crowd and had a sandwich at a shop two doors down - no crowd there. Then we boarded the bus again for Ensenada. Many complained about the bus ride. However, it all depends on how you look at things. We accepted the bus ride as part of the trip, and enjoyed some beautiful scenery as we rode down the coastline. However, if do it again (which we want to do), we'd try to fly into San Diego next time. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old June 26th, 2001, 07:33 PM
cc

Forgot to ask - what ship/cruiseline is going on 2/17/02?
Old June 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
10X

We are going on RCCL Vision of the Seas, a 10 day.

This will be our 7th cruise but first to Hawaii. We'll bring a book along to help pass the time. I'm actually looking forward to the bus ride, for the scenery, if nothing else.

I'm not fond of waiting for hours, but I guess that's part of the game.

Thanks for the information and for taking the time to respond to my question.
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:56 PM
John L.

We are leaving from Ensenada on the Vision on 11/4. After you boarded in Ensenada were you able to leave the ship and go into town shopping before leaving the port?? If so, there must be a customs check in at Hawaii.

Thanks....
Old July 3rd, 2001, 02:58 PM
Shari

Could you please give me an idea of how long the bus ride is from San Diego to Ensendada? Thanks!
Old July 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Pooh Bear

We did the reverse in April. The bus ride from Ensenada to San Diego is about 3 hours - give or take being luck enough to get on a bus that has a working toilet (we hadn't gone to far when the bus stopped to let 1 person off the use the john - but then everyone trooped off!).

Also, the crossing from Mex. into the U.S. took a long time. As I said, we were on the reverse - traveling up to San Diego from Ensenada - so EVERYONE had to get off of the bus along with their carryon luggage, etc. and go through customs. All said - it was an interesting trip and we were not put out as some of our fellow passengers were - we knew what to expect - it was all a part of the "experience" - and besides some of the scenery in MX. was breathtaking!

Would certainly do it again. We did Celebrity Infinity. Great experience.

Aloooooooha!
Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old July 14th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Yeoman

We atr taking a Hawaiian cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. Does anyone know how long the flight is from Vancouver to Hawaii and Hawaii to Philadelphia.
Did anyone go on RCCL? Did you find the shore excursions cheaper if purchased in Hawaii? Or best to purchase in advance from the cruiseline?

Thanks
Old July 17th, 2001, 05:53 PM
HySeas

The flight from Hawaii to Vancouver is 5 1/2 Hours. Hawaii to Philadelphia is 9 1/2.
Old July 17th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Yeoman

Old August 20th, 2001, 11:59 AM
James M

I have not taken the drive from Ensinada to San Diego but... I have read many posts on it on Cruisecritic.com. I have also walked though the boarder many many times when we were visiting Tia Juana Mexico from San Diego. Most have written in their posts that the bus trip takes 3 hours or more depending on if they take an extra bathroom break. Could be a little longer or a little less. You may want to book your flight at least 5-6 hours or more since I've heard that the bus loading at the pier can be very slow. You will also need to go though imigration and customs at the Tia Juana boarder. This means that you need to exit the bus go though customs and imigration and get back on. The Imigration line can be long at times depending on the time or day you are there. Good luck :-) and enjoy your cruise.
Old October 12th, 2001, 10:01 AM
KCMiller

If you are taking a cruise that leaves from Ensenada, can you just fly to and from Ensenada?

KC
Old January 27th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Welcome home 10x!
How was the cruise? What ship were you on?
We are going in April and would love to hear any comments or suggestions you may have.
Shelley & Chuck