Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Australia/New Zealand Help

I think now is the time to get some dialog and information about New Zealand/Australia. Does anyone know the approximate temperature there in February. We are taking a cruise on the Legend of the Seas, February 3 and wonder what to pack. Also, are there any special tours we should not miss?
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Australia/New Zealand Help

Remember the time you are going is Summer down under. Generally speaking you will be wearing warm weather attire.
Old December 18th, 2001, 11:40 PM
Dale

Hi Margie, generally summer clothes as it can be very hot in Sydney and Melbourne. However I would put in a light jacket and cardigan/pullover as like most places in the world we do get unseasonal weather at times (I'm from near Sydney). I have been to New Zealand twice and it is quite a bit cooler than you might expect, especially the southern areas as it is getting closer to Antartica. Also be prepared for rain. The "sounds" in NZ get those lovely waterfalls from lots of rain.
Old December 29th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Margie,

We go one month after you! Try checking this web site for averages for the time you are there:

Sydney: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=076749&refer=

New Zealand: http://www.weatherbase.com/search/se...ry=New+Zealand

I hope you can copy and paste those.

We are also looking at a few specific tours. I am one of a party of six and we are trying to decide what we can do on our own and what we must do thru RCI. The RCI tours seem MUCH more expensive than the actual costs as listed, say, on line.

Since you will be home before we have to leave, please try to give us a post with any tips and favorite tours when you get back. I will watch this site or you may e-mail me directly at bammoran@bellsouth.net

Are you going a day early to Auckland? We are.

Beth
Old January 3rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Passenger

Just returned Dec 15 from 3 weeks in Australia/New Zealand on Regal Princess. Cairns was humid and 90, Ayers Rock was dry heat and 90, and Sydney was beautiful and high 70s. Quite a bit of rain in New Zealand and definitely cooler in the south island, but I live near Seattle, so a little rain is no problem. We booked 2 extra days in Auckland, and could have done fine with one. The SkyTower is not to be missed. Beautiful views of the area from the top and you can even bungy jump from it, if you're so inclined. We passed on that. There is a Kelly Tarleton's Underwater World that was fun. Got to see penguins and they have a plexiglass tube peoplemover that lets you watch the sharks and mantas swimming beside you and above you. You can buy a bus ticket or tour tickets on the waterfront to get to Kelly's. Sky Tower is easy walking distance, just a few blocks, from downtown hotels. I have to tell you about a wonderful place to eat. We discovered it by accident, and then saw several fellow travelers coming in and saying the concierge recommended it. Named Lord Nelson's. Don't have the address, but we stayed at the Stamford Plaza and walked a few blocks up the street (away from the water) and it was down a side street on the left. Don't need to dress up at all, but the food was excellent. Huge steak dinner that probably cost about $11 USD. We ate there both nights. Don't know the rest of your itinerary, but if you'd like to e-mail back, I'll tell you what we did, or wish we had done. You will love it there!
Old January 11th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Albert Guasch

Another good weather information site is http://www.worldclimate.com/
Old July 12th, 2002, 11:36 PM
mamdy02

Default Re: Re: Australia/New Zealand Help

Hi!
I have Australia/New Zealand on my to do list. Enjoy cruising. Have mobility/energy problem due to MS. Took my power chair and manual on Panama Cruise plus a niece.
Went by myself with a manual chair to western mediterranean on Renaissance--now bankrupt. Found lots of local port taxis available on Panama Cruise--nothing, non, nada in Europe. What can I expect down under? What is the best time of year?
I live in northwest.
Mary
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:44 PM
Marysleep

I am booked on the Regal Princess over New Years. I was wondering if you could give me any info on the cruise.
Old February 9th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Passenger

Will be on the Regal Feb 25th and would appreciate any suggestions on shore excursions. We booked the trans Alpine train ride as well as the Tareri Gorge by train in Dunendin, and the visit to Port Arthur in Hobart. Does any one have any knowledge of the trips and other suggestions?