CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Honolulu Sightseeing (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256142-honolulu-sightseeing.html)

Ashley January 7th, 2002 03:37 AM

Honolulu Sightseeing

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are arriving in Honolulu the night before our cruise departure date.
What should we see in Honolulu, with only 6-8 hours of sightseeing time available to us on the day the ship departs?
Thanks to any suggestions from those who have experienced this destination, it'll be our first time but not our last!

Bill January 7th, 2002 08:54 AM

Re: Honolulu Sightseeing

Arriving the night before is not a bad thing. It will give you time to rest and adjust to any time change.
Go to Pearl Harbor. Go early in the morning as there are lines and tours are first come first served. You will not regret spending this time.
If you have some additional time, you might want to go to Bishop Museum. There is so much more to see , but your time constraint limits you a bit. You may be able to book a tour through your hotel that is a half
day that accomplishes what I recommended above.
Enjoy.

Nanatravel January 8th, 2002 04:36 PM

If your hotel is right downtown in Waikiki, just find out the bus number to take and its schedule from your concierage and get it very early in the morning to Pearl Harbor. If you have not, purchase Frommer's Hawaii on $70 a day. That will provide you with lots of get things to do on all of the islands and how you can save a little money and time too. You would want to be at the memorial before it opens; apx. 9 a.m.
Aloha - mahalo

John L January 8th, 2002 10:55 PM

Ashley--you didn't mention what ship you are on. If the ship is arriving from Ensenada or Vancouver, many of the passengers will be taking post cruise excursions and their favorite will be Pearl Harbor. Those passengers will be the first off the ship and will most likely be in line when you arrive. It happened to us and it was almost 2 hours in line. Even if you go later, most flights don't leave for the mainland until early evening and they have the entire day to kill and will be in front of you wherever you go. If you are there on a Wednesday or weekend, there is a big flea market at the Aloha Stadium (which is in the vicinity of Pearl Harbor) which opens early in the morning. You may need a car to get there. Another good shopping place is the International Marketplace which is a block or so off Waikiki beach. Don't know when that opens though.

Bill January 9th, 2002 08:47 AM

International Market is open day and night, seven days a week,(or at least it was the last time we were there).

Pooh Bear January 10th, 2002 04:38 PM

We did Hawaii on Infinity in April. We spent several days pre-cruise in Honolulu and had a very enjoyable time. We only rented a car one day. Had planned to visit Pearl Harbour on our own - however, heard about the LONG wait after getting ticket. We elected to take a 1/2 day tour through Celebrity the morning of the cruise. The bus picked us up at the Hyatt and first took us to Pearl Harbour where the driver got our tickets for us (it was either 2 1/2 or 3 hour wait from the time he picked up our tickets!). He then put us back on the bus and we toured some of the sights we had not seen when we had the rental car. Then, at the "appointed time", he returned us to Pearl Harbour and we were just in time for our number to be called! Was pretty cheap tour - can't remember the price - but it was the only shore excursion we purchased during the entire trip and we were glad we did it simply because we didn't have to wait around at Pearl Harbour for our number to be called -

Enjoy your cruise.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=

Ashley January 11th, 2002 04:33 PM

We're sailing on the Radiance, leaving Monday night to tour the island then continuing on to Vancouver.
I appreciate all the replies to my question. I'll take all comments into consideration, especially regarding lining up behind cruise ship tours! That sure did not even occur to me.
Thanks everyone. May all your cruises be safe and the best one ever!
Ashley

sealady February 1st, 2002 09:15 PM

Pearl Harbor is a really interesting thing to do, however if you have a wait of an hour or so, go to see the Bowfin Submarine on the same grounds. It is really interesting!!! The Memorial is free but the Bowfin is $8.00 pp.. worth it!

Sandy February 8th, 2002 12:08 AM

Ashley,
Are you talking about the cruise on the Radiance that begins on April 29? That's the one we will be one!!
Also....no matter how long the line the experience you will have when visiting the Arizona Memorial will be well worth it. Part of the wait consists of a couple of rooms of models, pictures and assorted information concerning the attack on Pearl Harbor.
If you've never seen a submarine the Bowfish is definately a good one to see.
The Frommer's book mentioned is now up to $80 a day. :) It is still one of the best...and will help with the other islands as well.
The first time I bought the book it was $10 a day!!!
I read one post that said the souveniers at the International Market Place were the least expensive they saw throughout the Islands.
One last thing - for now - the time change does wild things to ones body....you may be so tired and turn in so early that night that you will be up at the crack of dawn and perhaps then the line at the memorial won't be so long!

Ashley February 9th, 2002 01:51 AM

Sandy,
Thanks for your great tips and yes, we're on the Apr.29th Radiance,Hawaii to Vancouver. First time in Hawaii, and first time in a stateroom with a veranda, should be very romantic. Only 11 more weeks!

Nanatravel March 21st, 2002 02:39 PM

Sandy, the first time I bought Frommer's book it was $50 for Hawaii. We all know well that tprices increase but rarely decrease. I just found the book to offer so many great places to see that are off of the beaten path, like the bus to Pearl Harbor. It is so easy to take it but you must plan accordingly.

bug_dan April 8th, 2002 04:28 PM

Just want to add a caveat. If you are visiting the Arizona Memorial, pocket books, back packs, camera bags(not cameras) and a whole list of things that could be used to conceal weapons are not allowed inside the building where you wait for the tenders to take you to the memorial. Visit their web site www.nps.gov/usar/index.htm for a complete list. We left my wife's pocketbook in the trunk of our rental car but I carried her wallet.

Dan