Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Default ROUGH WATER

We're thinking about sailing on INFINITY next May from Honolulu to Vancouver. I have heard that the water between Hawaii and the Pacific Northwest is very rough. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: ROUGH WATER

Hi Jason,
We did this trip two years ago in reverse, and even though it was late Sept. only had one rough day out of Vancouver.
Doing the Honolulu to Vancouver in two weeks on the Summit. I'll be filing a number of live reports from the ship for the CruiseMates home page, so you can follow along if you like.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 29th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Sissybug

I will report on the weather on my May 3 cruise from Honolulu to Vancouver also. I have heard it can be a little rougher on the open seas but still not enough to make most people ill.

shelly
Old May 5th, 2002, 07:42 PM
New Englander

We are having the same concerns. Sailing in NOVEMBER from Ensenada to Hawaii, also on Infinity. There are several tendering ports on this itinerary. Have seen reviews from people sailing in November last year aboard other cruise ships that NEVER MADE IT TO THE PORTS! Have also heard that the Pacific crossing can be quite windy and rainy. Is there truth to these rumors? Would it be best to rebook for a Caribbean cruise in November?
Old May 7th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Passenger

We did Ensensada/Hawaii on the Vision last November and had perfect weather. Some of those with the rough weather happened in December and maybe into January. I'm sure you could do the Caribbean and catch a hurricane in November and have a fun time.

John L.
Old June 9th, 2002, 10:26 PM
David A

Default Re: Re: ROUGH WATER

Hi. I can't speak for ocean conditions farther north than Hawaii, but I can tell you a bit about the pacific. We have traveled four times in the pacific. Three along the Mexican coast, and once from Tahiti to Hawaii. I have found, in general, the trip is smoothest from north to south, and rougher from south to north. I'm guessing it's because of the general currents and their relation to swells, and the direction of the ship into them. Ensenada in November was very nice, with calm seas going north ( much better than in April on another trip). Don't sweat the weather, it happens wherever you go. What is important is that you go and enjoy life.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Gerald

Was on the May sailing the Infinity HI to Vancouver. First 2 days out of Hilo were smooth and sunny. Everyone enjoyed poolside. The rest of the cruise was 10 to 12 foot swells though only seemed to bother a few folks. Lots of Transderm Scop patches in use though. Last 2 days quite cool and required jackets outside. Unless, you really like to entertain yourself avoid these long sea days. I would have rather got off in Hilo and enjoyed Hawaii a few more days. We noticed a few people doing this and later we wished we had too.