CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   which cruise ship to Hawaii? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256191-cruise-ship-hawaii.html)

Marilynne September 20th, 2002 02:32 PM

which cruise ship to Hawaii?

My husband and I would like to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversay in Hawaii. Since we love cruising we want to combine the two. We'ed love some input on cruise ships, ittinerary, best travel months, etc.
We've cruised on Celebrity and RCI and loved it, but were disappointed in NCL. Any help you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marilynne

cruznliz September 20th, 2002 05:29 PM

Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

My husband and I are big Princess fans. They have never disappointed us. Princess has ships going roundtrip from the West Coast (if you like lots of sea days) or going from Hawaii to Tahiti or vice versa. We're taking the Sun Princess January 25, 2003 roundtrip from L.A. Can't wait! (Also taking the Golden in 2 weeks for Canada/New England.)

Dave P September 20th, 2002 09:28 PM

Hello...My wife and I are both 48 years old and would also highly reccomend Princess. We have also been on RCL, NCL, Celeberty and Carnival, but out of the five, we love Princess.

We were just on the Dawn Princess this past January, and are going on the Dawn Princess again to Hawaii this October 27th. The cruise is for 9-days and leaves from Honolulu and finishes in Ensenada, Mexico. We will have 5-days on the various islands and 4-days at sea. We love this type of itinerary because after doing the islands the first five days, we have 4-days at sea to just relax and enjoy the ocean and other things. Some of the itineraries have the first four or five days at sea, then the last number of days on the islands. By time you finish the last island stop, your a bit tired, then have to get ready to pack and rush to leave.

You will not be disappointed with the food on Princess. Whether you eat in the formal dining room, specialty restaruant or upstairs buffest, the food is excellent. Princess also has many cozy bar and lounge areas for some quiet times too. I guess it all depends on what both of you like and your type of personalities.

I always tell people that everyone will have a different opinion of a cruise line, their help, food, activities and so on. What we like, you may or may not like as well. We felt that all of the cruise lines except NCL were fairly equal, but in our opinion, Princess was just a bit better for our taste.

Enjoy...if you're interested, maybe I can give you a brief summary of our Hawaii cruise when we return on November 6th.

Regards,

Dave P

Marilynne September 21st, 2002 01:34 AM

Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

Thanks for the recommendations and Dave P a summary of your cruise would be great. Have a fabulous time!

Marilynne

Cheryl September 21st, 2002 02:45 PM

We are first time cruisers celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary aboard Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. We leave from Vancouver, 5 days at sea and then we vist Hilo, Kailua Kona, Maui overnight, Nawiliwili and then we arrive in Honolulu where we fly home. I am so excited! As Dave said, the sea days at the end gives you time to rest up..........I guess either way is great.........now that I think about it, vise-versa would have also been nice.

Aloha,
Cheryl

MarieA September 24th, 2002 01:22 PM

If you love sea days, look at HAL's 15 day San Diego to San Deigo cruises. We were actually able to book a mini-suite for the price of an 11 day Celebrity cruise, by not having to pay the airfare to or from Hawaii.

elvers September 28th, 2002 07:50 PM

Read your message re your upcoming Hawaii cruise. My husband and I are considering that same cruise next year and I would very much like hearing about your experience.

robbie October 4th, 2002 01:11 PM

I'll pitch in 2 cents for the "Radiance." Did it last Nov with my Mom and we both loved the 5-star ship so much, Hawaii was secondary. Doing the "Radiance" Hawaii/Vancouver next May with the wife so we can have the sea days at the end of our trip (and no way would I end the trip in Ensenada again).

BoozeBabe October 5th, 2002 10:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

I agree about the Radiance. We sailed her last year to Alaska. Simply fantastic

BUT just 2 weeks ago we were on the Grand Princess. NOT a "Grand" experience. Horrible food. Worst we've had in 7 cruises. Our first time on Princess. NOT impressed with the ship either. Nothing made us go WOW. We did go wow on the Radiance, around every corner we turned. They could take some lessons from RCI in designing their atriums. A ship with 17 stories only has a 3 story atrium?? Not at all impressive.

We are planning on Hawaii next year. Hope to do the Radiance again. The aft cabins were great. HUGE balconies

Marilynne October 16th, 2002 11:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

We just got back from a four day Pacific Northwest cruise on the Radiance and I see what you all are saying about it being a gorgeous ship. We were impressed! The only shortcoming was the food in the main dining room not being up to the standards of the others 3 ships we'ed been on before, especially Celebrity's Century.
We may choose the Radiance for our Hawaiian cruise, not sure yet.

Madame Sharon October 21st, 2002 09:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

Just returned from Hawaii - took Celebrity Infinity from Vancouver to Hawaii for 12 nite cruise. It was absolutely the best cruise in my entire life! The five sea days out provided endless sunshine and smooth waters - plenty of time to work on that tan before hitting the beaches in Hawaii. We spent another sunny week visiting Hilo, Kona, Maui, Kauai, and Oahu before flying home from Honolulu. Watch for inclusive specials with air add-ons. Our roundtrip air from Phoenix was only $99 booked with the cruise! I love Princess, but Celebrity topped even them for service and shipboard ambiance. I've already booked another cruise on our new favorite, "Celebrity Infinity".

LovetheSea October 27th, 2002 07:20 PM

I give another vote for the Infinity. We took the Infinity to the S. Caribbean last year and we are booked on the 10 night Hawaii cruise in Feb.2003. We have been on the Radiance of the Seas twice and although she is a very pretty ship, the Infinity beats her in my opinion. Celebrity is also a more upscale line than RCCL and you get a few more perks.

chuck November 2nd, 2002 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

Aloha! We sailed on the Raddiance last year from Hawaii to Ensenada and absolutely love it! In two weeks we are on the Infinity doing the reverse itinerary. We are expereienced cruisers Holland America and will keep you posted on the Infinity. My only complaint thus far was a rude res agent...

Alex December 27th, 2002 07:54 PM

Dave did you post a review yet? Would love to read it.

Jean January 3rd, 2003 10:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: which cruise ship to Hawaii?

Have just finished reading all the re re re re's and enjoyed them all--
I cruised on the HAL'S Statendam to Hawaii two years ago, I loved the R/T San Diego and the 15 days spent on the ship--I would like to go again, but this time might like to try the Radiance or the Infinity--your
reports were very favorable-of these two ships--I've been on the Grand Princess and wasn't too impressed--and I'd never consider the Norweigan line--tho' my early first cruise on the Skyward was wonderful--It was an all inclusive Champagne breakfast flight from Phila to Miami and the 7 day Caribbean CRuise all
for the fabulous price of get ready----
$289.00 and it included a bus to the airport from Langhorne PA--
Those days are gone forever, but hey sure can't complain with the the low prices of cruising today--
and the beautiful spacious ships--
Please let me know how you enjoyed your cruise and which Islands and tours you most enjoyed--

jowahe January 14th, 2003 09:15 PM

I''ve sailed to Hawaii round trip from California 3 times ( the Crown Oddysy in 1993, Holland America's Statendam 1997 & 2001) and I'm booked on the 3/11/03 Sun Princess sailing. This ininerary can't be beat if you enjoy the "cruising experience"--4 days at sea each way with 6 days cruising around the Islands. Princess is going to use the Regal Princess for this itinerary in the fall of 2003. The Statendam makes several trips each season (when not in Alaska) usually alternating with Mexican Riviera cruises. I live in Southern California, so it's handy to drive to the port and have your car waiting upon return--no airport hassels.

BUDDY February 12th, 2003 10:35 AM

My husband and I have been on two cruises to Hawaii and we're going on our third cruise in one month. The past cruises were on RCCL in May, which was great and on the old American Hawaii Cruise line on a smaller, older ship in January, which wasn't so great. We still had a good time but the weather was rough and the ship was old. Now we always plan to go cruising on newer, bigger ships, they're the ones we like. I also would not take another NCL cruise. We've taken 5 but I won't book anymore with them. It's the same with Carnival; we've been on 5 but I wouldn't book another one with Carnival. We've been on about 16 with RCCL and 4 with Princess. To-date, these are our favorite cruise lines. I haven't been on HA, or Celebrity or Crystal yet; but we are going to try Crystal. We find going in May or September are great times to go to Hawaii and this cruise we're going on in a month is the 15 day LA roundtrip to Hawaii on the Sun Princess. I don't think you could go wrong with RCCL or Princess, but everyone has their favorite cruise line. I know people who swear by Holland America, but I've never taken one of theirs......I guess it's because I've heard the rumor that they're all really old people(not that I have anything against that, my husband and I are in our mid-50's) but we always have fun with people younger than us it seems like. RCCL and Princess seem to have a good mix of all ages and I guess that's what we like. I've been to Hawaii without being on a cruise and you just seem to see more when you go around the islands on a ship. Hope your trip is great, I know we're looking forward to ours.

Bruce Chafkin March 22nd, 2003 04:46 AM

Check out the review at www.orcatekweb.com It may help you out.

traveler July 10th, 2003 08:57 AM

I am worried about seasickness. Can you suggest whether Ensenada to Hawaii in the spring for 4 nights at sea is better than the fall trips heading back?

Wayne and Pat August 7th, 2003 08:41 PM

We cruised Hawaii in January 2003 with NCL, big mistake. Either of your other choices Celebrity or RC would be better choices as we have cruised with both and enjoyed them. Holland America is also great have cruised with them a number of times and we really do like them.