Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Browezilla

Default Hawaii: By land or by sea?

Hi all,

I've been to Hawaii, but I've never cruised around Hawaii. I was wondering which folks thought was better and why, an air&land trip to Hawaii or a cruiseship based vacation. My primary concern would be not being able to see enough of the island(s) during the "in port" time.
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2002, 01:11 PM
deedles

Default Re: Hawaii: By land or by sea?

Now that I cruised there I really wish we would have just stayed on Maui & Kuaui. Those were our favorites. In my opinion....stay on the island.
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Browezilla

Default Re: Re: Hawaii: By land or by sea?

As much as I love to cruise, I think that's still my choice, but I haven't cruised Hawaii yet. As for favorite island, I love the Big Island. It is so varied with so much to do. Maui is my second favorite. Kauai is very good for 3 or 4 days or so. There's nothing like the Napali coast line.
Old November 16th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Admiral

We were on the CruiseMates Let's Get Lei'd cruise in May of this year. Neither my husband nor I had ever been to Hawaii before. We spent 2 days pre-cruise on Oahu, then 6 days cruising the islands. We were in Kauai one day, Maui 2 days, Kailua Kona one day and Hilo one day. We loved every minute of it. It gave us a taste of all those different islands, and now we know where we want to go back to - Maui! Now we're going to do a one-week vacation in Maui next May. I found the cruise to be just perfect for getting a little look at a lot of different places, but you're right in that you won't get to see any of them in any depth. But, hey, it's a cruise! Go and enjoy!

Old November 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Browezilla

What did you love about Maui? I feel like I've missed the big picture because that seems to be most folk's favorite island. I tend to be an exploring/outdoorsy-type. I love the volcano there and the snorkelling (Molokini I believe), but after that I find myself looking for something to do that I can't also find on other islands. For example, I could kayak or take a sailing excursion, but Kaui with the Napali coastal is awesome for this. On the Big Island, with all of the variety (11 of 13 world climate zones), I seem to always findd something new and interesting to do. Anyway, I was wondering what I've missed about Maui that everyone else is enamored with

Thanks in advance,
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:14 AM
First Mate

I've been on two cruises to Hawaii and my third is coming up in one month and I've also just stayed there for a week on land; once in Maui and once in Honolulu. We really enjoyed the week in Maui (we did that 2 years ago) but to get the flavor of all the islands you just can't beat a cruise. Maui is so great because, well we stayed in Lahaina and we were right on the beach and you could walk down town each night and still be close to book any tours you might want to go on, like the whale watching cruises. Maui has it all in my opinion. If I was to go on land for a week it would be to Maui, but I still like the cruises the best. You get the best of both worlds that way in my opinion, but then again I'm a cruise addict. Took my first cruise when my twins graduated from high school in 1985 and I've cruised every year since then. Our cruise to Hawaii in a week will be our 27th or 28th, I've kind of lost count. HAPPY CRUISING.
Old March 1st, 2003, 09:59 AM
tutu

True, your experience will be limited to port time, but a cruise is the best way to
experience the islands. There is no way you can get an overview of the islands
via a land/air tour. You waste too much time packing/unpacking; to and from the
airports.