Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default hawaii advice

We are thinking about a cruise to Hawaii and have several questions:
1) Does anyone know why Royal Caribbean doesn't have any cruises scheduled to Hawaii during June, July and August 2003??
2) What is your favorite itinerary and length?
3)Best time of year to go?
Thanks in advance...any other information would be appreciated also.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2003, 08:52 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: hawaii advice

The best advice I could give is to consider an air/land vacation instead of a cruise. I've agonized over this in the past, and always wind up doing air/land because there is so much to see and do on the islands, I'd rather be there than on a cruise ship...even as much as I love cruising.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Royal Carib (and many other lines that do Hawaii) only do it as part of the repositioning of their Alaska ships. That means that many Hawaiin cruises get scheduled for April
and October/November.
You want to choose an itinerary that gives you the most stops in Hawaii. Look for one that starts in Oahu (and do a two day precruise stay so you can take a comprehensive island tour) and goes to Kuaii, Mauii, Hilo (big island) and Kona (big Island). Many of the longer cruises overnight in Mauii and this lets you experience the great Luau's for dinner one night. We did an 11 day on Norwegian Wind that included all of the above and a trip to Fanning island in the Republic of Kirbati (Gilbert Islands during WWII) .
Our trip was late October and we had fabulous weather. Many cruises start in Encenada
(just south of the border ) or Vancouver and do 3 or 4 days at sea then 7 days in the islands(or the reverse).
Hope that helps.
Old January 28th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Yeoman

Laurie,

My first cruise was 10/20/02 aboard the Radiance leaving from Vancouver. 11 day cruise. 5 days at sea and then the Hawaiian Islands. We had an overnight stay in Maui.

I agree with an air/land vacation. I loved cruising, but I did not get a chance to see Hawaii. I did too much shopping. If you do not plan to do tours on each of the islands, I highly recommend renting a car on each island and exploring the island. We did rent a car in Maui and we loved it. The islands I would love to do a land vacation would be Maui, Kauai and Hilo. Hilo has the black sand beaches that I did not see Actually any island would be nice to vacation on, you could always island hop. I can not wait to take my next cruise........Caribbean........Navigator of the Sea...........THE WHOLE FAMILY!

Cheryl

Old February 5th, 2003, 11:08 AM
sue clark

Default Re: Re: hawaii advice

I am also going on a cruise to Hawaii (in fact our trip scheduled to leave 2/2 on the Infinity was cancelled. ) We are now thinking of rebooking for late September out of Van Couver. Was looking forward to it. Am looking for anyone who has taken this cruise - curious to see what the Pacific is like on way to Hawaii. Also heard that it can be good to rent a car in some of the ports and do your own thing.
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: hawaii advice

Pacific Ocean crossing of 4 days will not be like sailing island to island in the Caribbean. You can potentially run into a bump or two. In addition, September is still hurricane season in the Pacific and although remote, you can encounter a storm. That said, GO, you will not regret it. Hawaii by cruise ship is great.
This is the US, not a foreign country. Certainly an option is to rent a car and sightsee and go to beaches and restaurants on your own. Everyone speaks english, drives on the right side of the road , takes US money etc, etc. Get yourself a good guide book and map, plan yourself a day on each island. Besides, they are islands, how lost can you get?
Old February 12th, 2003, 10:00 AM
First Mate

I'm going on my third Hawaii cruise in 4 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it, even though our ship, The Sun Princess, came back a couple of weeks ago with the Norwalk Virus. I feel the ship will be really clean by the time we go on it 11 March. The other two times I've been on a cruise to Hawaii were in January on the old American Cruise Line ship and once on RCCL on the Legend of the Seas in May. The trip in May was fantastic, cruise-wise, weather-wise, one of the best cruises I've taken and we've taken almost 30 now. When we went in January on American Cruise Line, we didn't realize it was their rainy season and we ran into some rough weather, plus it was an older ship, which didn't help. Now we don't do Hawaii in the wintertime; nor do we go on old ships. I like the new, bigger ships, which have the stabilizers so you don't feel the motion of the seas so much. I think RCCL uses these ships for Alaska cruises and that's why you see their Hawaii cruises in the spring and fall. I've had bad experiences with NCL, but I know they have a ship that cruises around the islands all year long. I've been on 5 NCL cruises and I don't think I'll be doing another one with them. RCCL and Princess are my favorite cruise lines to date, but I haven't tried all the cruise lines yet. It's my goal to do so though. Happy Cruising........
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:25 AM
tutu

you did not say whether this is your first trip to Hawaii. If it is, a cruise is the only way
to experience the islands, and you will be able to make a decision as to which island s
you would like to return for an air/land stay.

If you are willing to do some "homework" and read various guide books, you can map
out your town tour via a car rental which will enable you to see a lot more than if you
are on a cruise tour. If you don't want to do the research, then you're better off on the
cruise tour. You can also hire a taxi, but if you don't have some idea of where you
want to go, you'll probably end up with a tour similar to the cruise tour.
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: hawaii advice

Buddy
We will be on the Legend, Hawaii to Ensanada. Our only experience cruising was on the Celebrity Summit to Alaska last year. That got us HOOKED. Anything you can tell us about your trip on the Legend would be great.

Anita
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: hawaii advice

It's funny you signed your name "Anita"; that's my first name. Anyway, it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken and our 27th cruise is coming up in 3 days, so I'm getting very excited. The ship was great and we had a really good time. It was several years ago when the ship was brand new; I don't remember too many details. One thing I do remember was a play they had in the afternoon (and we're not really play goers) but it was really wonderful.

Happy Cruising.....
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

I have been looking for 2 months for a reasonable single rate to Hawaii. I was wondering about the weather in the pacific myself. Lots of ships have solariums, so that should be nice and warm.
I would rather do like Papa Bill said stay 2 days before or after the cruise. I was in Honolulu 1o days 3 years ago and yes there is lots to see. Hawaii is Paradise and pretty wherever you go. Auguste