Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Just curious as to what Carnival offers on their shore tours for this island. Does anyone know if the Old Lahaina Luau is offered? I am thinking if we dock at Kulhulu then a Carnival tour just might offer the transportation to this Luau included in its tour. Help, please, I still have not received info from Carnival on Shore Tours for our upcoming September trip on the Spirit. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

We didn't receive our documents until about 2 weeks prior to departure. I was getting very nervous! Anyway, the Old Lahaina Luau is not offered through Carnival and you will have to book it on your own. I would suggest booking it ahead of time to get the best seating. Their website is www.oldlahainaluau.com. It was great. The Drums of the Pacific Luau is offered through the ship. It's more expensive and not as good as the Old Lahaina one. Also, in Maui, you might want to look into booking the Maui downhill bike ride. We booked it through the ship and I think we paid $150 pp but it was well worth it. Have fun!

Old March 19th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Danielle, did you go to the Old Lahaina Luau? How did you get to Lahaina from the port at Kuhului? Is there a shuttle, or do you have to rent a car. This is the luau we have heard so much about and just wondering how we could get to Lahain, without having to rent a car. Any ideas?
Thanks so much!
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Celebrate Goldens

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

I called Carnival and they emailed me the shore excursion list for the Hawaii Spirit. In Maui the following offerings are made (I think the prices are from last September, but they should be somewhere in the ballpark) Atlantis Submarine $109,Drums of the Pacific Luau $119, Haleakala/Lahaina/Iao Valley $89, Iao Valley/Maui Tropical Plantation$47/Maui Downhill"38 mile Super Day Safari"$149, Maui Downhill "38 Mile Super Sunrise Safari"$159, Maui Ocean Center$45,Hana & Haleakala Helicopter Tour $199/ The wonders of Haleakala$39/ Tropical Waterfall Hiking Adventure$109/ Catch a Wave Surfing Lessons$65West Maui and Molokai Helicopter Tour$289/ Kaanapali Golf Club$170.

We are thinking of just doing the Old Lahaina Luau on our own, I am also interested to find out if they provide a shuttle, it appears to be quite a distance from Kahaui to Lahaina.

Is Maui the best island to view the beautiful flowers? or is Kauai??? I want to do some sort of tour to see orchids and other beautiful tropical flowers.

Hope this helps
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Ok, from Kahalui we had to rent a car. At first we asked one of the cab drivers to take us but it would have been something like $50 each way. Plus, we were concerned about cathing a cab back from the Luau later that night. At the dock, there are shuttles to take you on a quick ride to the car rental place. We rented the car for the day for like $25, they gave us a map and we were on our way. It was basically two roads to Lahaina and took approx 30-40 to drive there. We spent the day on Kanapali beach and then went over to the Luau that night. The Luau costs $75 pp and that's all you can drink & eat. It's a great show and much much better than the Drums of the Pacific, and less expensive too. At first we were really mad that we had to rent a car but it worked out really well. We also rented a car on Kauai. There are not that many shuttles or cabs to take you places at these ports in Hawaii and we found renting a car was better. There were more shuttles to talk people to WalMart then to the different site. I would have to say the Hilo had the most cabs & tour people waiting for you when you came off the ship. Maybe I'm just used to the people in the Caribbean basically attacking you to take you places when you get off the ships.
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Danielle, did you prebook your car rentals..and what car rental company did you use? In Mauii, is there a cost to spend the day at the beach at Kaanapali ? Or do you just grab your spot on the beach? Hope these don't sound too terribly stupid, these questions! !
Did you prebook your Luau, in Lahaina? At the end of the day, did you drop your car rental off and get the same shuttle back to the port, or did you have to get a taxi back to the port that night? What is the road like between the car rental place and Lahaina? (I will likely be the one driving, as I do not drink.) ...And obviously you enjoyed the Old Lahain Luau! Thanks so much for all this information....it is very valuable to all us first timers to the Hawaiian Islands! Muchly appreciated!
Thanks, again,
Debbie
Old March 21st, 2003, 09:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Debbie,
When you get off the ship there will be car rental shuttles to take you on the 5 min. drive to the airport in Maui to rent a car. If I remember correctly we used Budget rent a car but there are others, for basically the same price. We didn't pre-book because we didn't realize we would have to rent a car but there were more than enough available so don't worry about that. The only thing I would recommend pre-booking is the Luau. This was our honeymoon and I wanted good seating. We booked the traditional seating which is on the floor right in front of the stage. You sit on pillows on the floor. The Luau is on the beach so it's a beautiful setting. And Mai-Tai's are great! On Kanapali beach we just parked our car in the public parking area and walked right onto the resort. I believe it was the Sheraton and it was very nice...even used their pool! I've heard people complain about lots of kids on that beach but I don't think I saw one! Mostly honeymooners and older couples. The ride from the boat to Lahaina is really pretty. Like I said it's approx. 30-40 min. drive and mostly along the cost which is really pretty. Believe me, my husband is not one to enjoy driving when you don't know where your going but it was easy and the car place gave you a map. At the end of the night we had to be back at the rental place by 9:30 to catch the last shuttle back to the ship from the car rental place. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me directly.
Old March 21st, 2003, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui?

Thank you, Danielle! Wow. I tried to email you, however, my emails keep getting returned, so I hope you don't mind me asking these questions on this message board.

Thanks for all of the information regarding the Maui port, etc. Renting a car sounds great. Just curious as to where you left the car overnight? By the sounds of things, you left the car at the car rental place...did you just turn it, or did you just park it there for the night, and get it in the morning? The beach sounds wonderful. I take it then, people do not dress up for the Luau? Just resort casual wear? What was the food like? I priced the "Drums of The Pacific Luau" on a website separately...(not through Carnival) this is held at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach and it is only $62.50. Carnival charges $119 for the same Luau!! That is like charging each person just under $60 for a ride to the luau! Crazy! Did you hear anything from anyone on your cruise who happened to go to the luau tour through Carnival? Just curious...as I hear this luau has the firedancers, and fire eaters.

Another question, on Kauai you mentioned that Walmart had a bus? What is that all about? I had heard in Honolulu there were some sort of shuttles to take you to Waikiki but in Kawai as well?

Another question...the last formal night on the cruise..was it the evening you left the Maui port?

You have been so helpful. Thank you very kindly for helping us with this planning. I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions..

Sincerely,
Debbie
Old March 21st, 2003, 12:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in Maui

I don't mind at all. I love talking about my honeymoon! Since we were in Maui for two days, we rented the car the first day and returned it that night. The second day in Maui we did the downhill bike trip. We didn't get back to the ship until around 2pm that day (the company shuttles you back & forth). After that we just went back and stayed on the ship for a few hours until we left. It was an early morning so we were a little beat. The last formal night (for us) was one of the last days at sea. Our last 5 days were sea days. However, there is a lot there to leave the car overnight if need be. People wore everything from shorts & t-shirts to sun dresses at the Luau. We brought clothes to change into. At first I wanted to be able to go back to the ship but it would have wasted too much time so I sucked it up and just threw on a sundress over my bathing suit. These cruise ships always over charge for tours so we always inquire about booking it on our own. We did however, book the downhill bike ride through the ship. Alot of people were saying that the Drums of the pacific were alot of drums basically and like you said, fire eaters. The Old Lahaina tells the story of Hawaii and french polonesia became what they are and it's really nice. It seems every island had so many shuttles to take you to WalMart. Who goes to Hawaii to go to Walmart??? In Honolulu we just had time to go to Pearl Harbor. the first day there was shot because we were so tired from out 12 hr. flight. and the next day we just did Pearl Harbor. I think there is a shuttle to take you to Waikiki but I'm not positive. Ask all the questions you want. my email is dmartino@dancker.com.
Old March 21st, 2003, 01:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival Shore Tours in

Danielle:
Thank you! I tried again to send you an email at your address and it keeps returning. I don't understand. I tripled checked the address, so that I was typing it in correctly..and still having them returned..
I am sure I will have many more questions...Thanks again for sharing!
Debbie