CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Hawaii Advise please! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256264-hawaii-advise-please.html)

Sharon66 August 17th, 2003 11:36 PM

Hawaii Advise please!

We are renting a car on Maui and will be there for 2 days. Our parents who are
elderly will be with us. I would like to get an idea of things we can do and see
that they will enjoy. We do not want to exhaust them. We were thinking the
road to Hanna. However all day will be a little long. So we were thinking of going
just part of the way and then turning back.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Sharon

PapaBill August 18th, 2003 01:51 PM

Re: Hawaii Advise please!

You can drive to the top of Haleakala volcano (even if you don't do it to see the sunrise).
The is the Aquarium/oceanagraphic center to visit. There is a commercial site mid island caled the Plantation. There are gardens and atram ride through the plantation where thereis just about every native crop and plant. You can ride up to the Iao Valley . The view is fabulous and you don't have to walk up the path to appreciate it.
When are you going? December to March you can ride along the coast and find spots to see whales. There is shopping and galleries and historical sites in Lahaina.
Try a Luau. Old Lahaina Luau is reputedly the best. Shop at Whalers Village, and visit Hilo Haties near Lahaina. Go to the beach. There are many good ones, Kanipali is one of the nicest. Road to Hana is a good 3 hours each way , at least. Truly that will take the better part of one of your days.
Have fun.

Sharon66 August 18th, 2003 02:53 PM

Re: Re: Hawaii Advise please!

Thanks PapaBill for the suggestions.
Our cruise is Oct 6th. We will be in Maui on Oct 11th and 12th.
One day I figured we could go to Lahaina, Hilo Hatties, etc and the other
day go sightseeing. My only reservation about going to the volcano you mentioned
is the warnings I have read about people with respiratory problems. My dad
had broncial pneumonia in July. He is steadily improving, so I wasn't sure if the
high elevation would be bad for him or not. The beaches you mentioned sound
good, are they crowded? Do any have tide pools?

thanks,
Sharon

Wahine1776 January 28th, 2004 07:20 PM

Definitly do the Old Lahina Luau, it needs to be booked online months in advance though. The road to Hana, you will only want to do that once in your life, if at all. Very much an all day trip in the car. If you can, get a non stop direct flight, HNL is a long walk for your parents.

sandracus February 11th, 2004 01:10 PM

Since your parents are elderly you may want to consider another also higly rated luau, that is if you are going to do one. And that is The Feast at Lele. Reason being - you are served the food at your table rather than having to go through a buffet line. We will be in Maui in May and I have been researching all sorts of activities, as we will be there for a week. The two top rated luaus that I keep coming up with are the Old Lahaina Luau and The Feast at Lele. We are going for that one. You can read about both of them and others at the following website.
adventuremaui.com/luaus