Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default When to cruise Hawaii?

My husband and I are looking into cruising to Hawaii on the Island Princess in 2005. I know it's a ways off, but is Jan/Feb a good time to cruise to Hawaii? What about the Pacific at that time - smooth or rough? Concerned about the time spent at sea and seasickness.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: When to cruise Hawaii?

Post Edited (08-26-03 15:55)
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:50 PM
hanna

Default Re: Re: When to cruise Hawaii?

Jan/Feb is not good for our North Shores here, waves are coming in quite large then. They can swell to 35-40 feet. So, given that....if you can wait a couple of months.
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:51 PM
starfighter

Default Re: Re: Re: When to cruise Hawaii?

Hi Hana, How's the weather in September?
Old December 31st, 2003, 01:05 AM
bonie

How are the first 2 weeks in May? I am booked on the Carnival Spirit that tours the islands then heads for Vancouver?

Thanks,
Old January 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Passenger

I too am considering a Hawaii cruise in Sept of 2004 from Ensenda to Hawaii. I know that the weather in Hawaii wont be to bad, but my concern is the 4 days at sea. Has anyone been and how rough do the seas get that time of year
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Passenger

I've have done both cruises. Honolulu to Ensenada in April, the seas were very rough. High winds and very very rough seas. Did Vancouver to Honolulu in September. Loved it! Smooth sailing all 5 days at sea. It was great. Hawaii weather is great any time of the year. Diane
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:31 PM
John L.

Back a few years, we did a spring and fall cruise the same year. We enjoyed the spring more. Seems this is the rainy season and the waterfalls were bigger and there were more showers which resulted in many more rainbows. There seemed to be more flowers in the Spring too. The rains never last long and are generally a light kind of sprinkle. The temperature is always the same so that has no effect on timing. We would be on the north shore (Oahu) in a light rain and we would go through a tunnel toward Honolulu and as we came out of the tunnel it was all sunny and dry as a bone. It was amazing. The ocean waves were smooth both times. The lst 2 days out of Ensenada was always cool. If you are going to Alaska, it will be even cooler being farther to the north.

No matter when you go, you will love the cruise.

John L.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:51 AM
LMG

Default Re: Re: Re: When to cruise Hawaii?

We are considering a 15 day cruise rt from LA to Hawaii for thanksgiving 2004. What should we expect for sea conditions and weather?
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Yeoman

Is December also a bad time weather wise for a cruise R/T out of San Diego?
Old January 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Wahine1776

I am doing a cruise in Tahiti this March. I've been reading up on lots of cruise info for lots of places. The ship that sails from Ensendada to Hawaii is not one to take during Jan Feb. Giant 40 waves make the crossing most uncomfortable. The last ship was not allowed to even dock in Hilo and the passengers were told to stay in their rooms.
As posted that period is when the biggest surf in the world is in Hawaii.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM
John-

I sailed on the Norwegian Star, Dec 16, 2003. The weather was perfect! The cruise started and ended in Honolulu.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Familiar Face

Wow! After reading all the replies, I'm starting to have second thoughts about our RT cruise in February '05. I hope you're wrong about the swells! I'll keep my fingers crossed that we have smooth sailing next year and get to see lots of whales (one of our reasons for cruising at that time of year). I guess I'll be checking with my doctor for some seasickness stoppers before we go.

Island Princess - Hawaii
February 2005

Pacific Princess - Alaska
June 2003
Old February 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
hcat

OK Now I am re-thinking it all--instead of the RT , the American Pride sounds best even though that would not be the line I would choose first. How can they cruise the islands & others can't under the law?
Old February 20th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Kimba

My guess is because the Pride of America and Pride of Aloha will be US registered and can therefore sail around the USA without having to go to foreign ports.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Lorraine-Ann

Hi,
I've been reading all the info in the replies re the rough seas in and around Hawaii.

We were hoping to do an inter-island cruise only, in Hawaii in late September or early October. Since this would be our first cruise what can we expect with respect to roughness of the water etc.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Also, if any of you have taken this type of cruise below can you recommend a particular cruise line or specific cruise.

Thanks.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
hcat

I still can't get a good sense of when it would be best to cruise. What are smoothest months to or from Ensenada AND when is the weather the best? We are thinking Oct or Nov--has anyone tried that?
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:12 AM
cruisersdm

Tell me more about your cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. We are booked on the Infinity (Celebrity) Sept 26, 2004. Was concerned about weather also.
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:55 AM
First Mate

Hubby & I are 'doing' NCLs Pride of Aloha inter-island Jan 23-30th/05 and the waters will likely be quite smooth (have usually been in the past) but nothing is ever guaranteed. Know Jan/Feb usually not good from mainland to Hawaii but should be OK if u choose that time frame inter-island. Hope this helps. Happy (& smooth) cruisin'!!
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
hcat

So are Sept & March thebest time to cruise over there & have good weather once there?
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:51 AM
First Mate

Actually it's a guess as to what the weather & seas will be like - remember the Pacific Ocean has a better reputation than the Atlantic Ocean but winter is never a great time frame and Nov - March is considered winter...That said I have friends who have sailed Ensenada to Hawaii in these months & had smooth seas & vice versa too so ??? I only know that usually inter island is mainly good but u can get some swells in the winter months there too. Just book and go and 'hope' for the best -at least Hawaii will be gorgeous as usual besides with the stabilizors on the ships these days not too many problems anyway..Happy 'steady as she goes' cruisin'!