Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Default Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

My husband and I are booked May 8th on the Serenade of the Seas... Was wondering what the weather and ride will be like in May from Ensenda to Hawaii, we will be at sea for 4 days.... Would love to be able to work on my Tan before arriving in Hawaii.

We were on a Panamal Canal cruise in late March early April, once we left Carlos San Lucis on our way back to San Diego it got very cold, could not go outside, it was raining and cold......

Also, could anyone enighten us on the bus ride from San Diego to Ensenda, we have our transfers from RCL, do you know when they will begin allowing us on ship... Our flight arrives San Diego at 10:15am...

Any information would be of great service

Thank you,
Gloria
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:33 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

I'm also on this cruise and want all the same answers. Also, I'd like some advice on renting cars on the islands. If you get any good feedback, can you send it to me at theresa9@ev1.net?

Thanks!!!

Theresa
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:38 PM
larry baker

Default Re: Re: Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

My wife and I will be aboard Serenade on May 8. We took the same cruise aboard Radiance in April, 2002. Our first two days out were quite cool, very similar to any Mexico cruise. The third day warmed up a bit, and the fourth day was tropical. I also recall that we were sailing at 24 knots for the first couple of days, which made for a bit of ship movement. We slowed for the balance of the trip, and the waters were much smoother. It wasn't asked, but the embarkation on this itinerary is an exhausting experience. You can email me for details. Suffice it to say that we felt like cattle going to slaughter by the time we boarded. Get ready for it. The good news is that the balance of the cruise was outstanding. Otherwise, we wouldn't be repeating. Hope this helps.
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:01 PM
larry baker

I didn't reply to your questions re the San Diego-Ensenada leg. I assume that it will be the same as my prior experience. Here goes: We live in Valencia, California. We drove our rental to the San Diego airport, and arrived just before noon. There was a long line in one of the terminals for passengers. Trust me, you'll find it with no problem. There will be several reps from the cruise line there. You will have your bags which will end up on trucks outside the terminal. Around 1pm the busses will start coming-an endless line of busses. We waited around two hours to catch ours. You'll board and end up at a hotel just north of Ensenada. The ride there is around 90 minutes to two hours. You'll get a bagged lunch.There you'll leave your bus and do your check-in. Expect to spend another couple hours there. From there, you'll board another bus for a ten minute ride to the port. You'll be tired. You'll be hungry, and you'll wonder why they haven't figured out a better way to do it all. With any luck it might be different this time. I'm just reciting what happened two years ago. As for car rentals, no problem. We rented twice. The first time in Hilo. They take you for a short ride to the airport there. Not a problem. The second time we rented was in Lahaina. Got a Taurus from Hertz at Kaanapali for about $22 a day. It was great. They'll pick you up at the pier and drop you off at the end of the rental. We will overnight there again. The ship tenders there, and I found a pay lot in Lahaina where I parked overnight for $8. If you haven't been to Hawaii, your cell phone will work just fine there, so that you can call ahead for any rental arrangements. ....Hope this answers your questions, and please feel free to contact me at my email LMB3@HOTMAIL.COM.
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM
hcat

Based on these threads, would it be better to leave from LA on a trip that just passes through Ensenada with no one getting off the ship? I am not a great flier but this trip sounds like one I could find taxing. Although Norwegian has not gotten great reviews I think maybe the Aloha ship RT Hawaii with flights both ways would be the best...
Old February 22nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
larry baker

Default Re: Re: Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG. AS I EXPLAINED IN PRIOR POSTS THE SAN DIEGO-ENSENADA LEG IS NO FUN. BUT AFTER THAT IT WAS ALL GOOD. REALLY GOOD! OTHERWISE, I WOULDN'T DO IT AGAIN. LEAVING FROM ENSENADA GIVES YOU FOUR NIGHTS AT SEA , AND SEVEN NIGHTS IN THE ISLANDS ON A BRAND NEW VESSEL. THOSE THAT DO LEAVE FROM LA GIVE YOU TEN NIGHTS AT SEA AND FIVE NIGHTS IN THE ISLANDS. OF COURSE, YOUR OTHER CHOICE IS NCL. BUT TO ME THAT'S NOT A CHOICE.
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

Larry Celebrity Infinity also leaves Ensenda to Hawaii for a night day trip on May 9.I have cruised on Celerbity six times before and have NEVER had a bad experience,I did have one on NCL,so I will stick to the best I think Celerbity.

Bruce
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Weather Ensenda to Hawaii in May

Larry I ment to say a nine day cruise
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
hcat

So it still seems like Infinity would be best if we are used to Royal & Celeb? What about going to/from Vancouver? Whihc would be best for the sea days, going there or back home? WEhat are the best months to sail & best weather months there? This will be a big trip for us & we are going to do alot of checking before we book .Thanks for the info,
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Beginner

hcat when are you planning on going to Hawaii? I will be on the Infinuty in May and report back after cruise or you could send me your email address and I will send it to you personaly
Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:17 PM
hcat

Bruce--I will appreciate this-- we are hoping for 2005 & wanted Sept Oct or Nov but could do May (we have other cruises booked through Mar 05.) I am planning so far ahead as this will be a big trip for us in distance & $$$ & hope to stay pre or post cruise. I want to do the most I can to make sure we get it right! Feedback from May will really help--- We just did Summit & loved it but I an deciding among Infinity(celeb) (unless it keeps being taken out of service) or Serenade or Legend(both Royal)..
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Beginner

Larry I will send you and email about our cruise in May when we get back you have my email address so send it to me so i can send you the info.We too are going a great distance New York we are doing a pre and post stop over from Seattle Wa.Long story how we started out from Ny to Seattle then to San Diego to Ensenada sailing to Hawaii the back to Seattle then home to NY.The price was right.Ha Ha.
Bruce
Old March 24th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Beginner

Larry I mean I need your email address you have mine so email it to me so you don't have to post it and I will do the rest when we get back.

Bruce