CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   HAWAII INFORMATION (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256279-hawaii-information.html)

ROBERT IN NJ October 24th, 2003 02:53 PM

HAWAII INFORMATION

Hope someone can help with a few questions I have regarding my cruise to Hawaii. We are sailing on the Infinity November 16,2003 Ensenada to Hawaii.

1) Does anyone know how far the pier in Honolulu is from the airport.
2) When we arrive in Hilo we were thinking of doing our own tours, instead of a ship tour, to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Factory & The Big Island Candies Factory. Are they worth going to? Are they near one another or do we need separate cabs. How far are they from where the ship docks in Hilo.
3)We were thinking of eating some meals off the ship at some local restaurants - any good recommendations.
4)Which island and beach is best for snorkeling? Just bought snorkeling equipment for this trip and would like to try it out at a nice place.
5)Is there anything to do in Ensenada before we sail or is it best to just board the ship and go?

Thank You to anyone who could provide some answers or give me some more tips or suggestions.

Robert :)

Kuki October 25th, 2003 05:42 PM

Re: HAWAII INFORMATION

Its about 15 minute or so ride from the airport to the pier in Honolulu. The islands are very easy to tour on your own. Rental cars are easy, and it's the US so communication is no problem.

sptrout October 28th, 2003 12:20 PM

I visited the Mauna Loa Factory a few years ago and it was interesting, but I'm not sure I would recommend taking a cab just to visit it. There is a small gift shop, and a self-guided walk past viewing windows that look into the small factory. Probably no more than 30 minutes needed for the entire visit.

My recommendation, if time permits, would be to rent a car and drive to Volcanoes National Park (~30 miles from Hilo) and make a quick stop at the Mauna Loa Factory on the way back. Have a great trip!

cruisequeen October 29th, 2003 02:50 PM

Hi Sptrout:

I would be interested in visiting the Macadamia Factory. Too bad that it is only about 30 minutes.

If I decide to take a taxi there, do you know if I could get a taxi back to the pier without any problem. Do not want to have the taxi that takes me up there wait for me. Would be about 45 minutes or so.

sptrout October 29th, 2003 04:03 PM

Re: Re: HAWAII INFORMATION

Good afternoon Cruisequeen,

The Factory is a few miles from downtown Hilo, and a mile or two off the main highway (road through the plantation). Seems like a two-way taxi ride would be more expensive than renting a car for the entire day. When I visited the "Big Island," it was for an extended stay, not a cruise, so I'm not familiar with the cruise port area or how difficult it would be to rent a car or arrange for other transportation.

I hope this helps, and have a great vacation!

sptrout October 29th, 2003 04:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: HAWAII INFORMATION

http://www.maunaloa.com/visitus.htm#visitorcenter

Cruisequeen,

Check out the web link above; it will give you some good information about Mauna Loa.

cruisequeen October 29th, 2003 04:24 PM

Thanks for the info sptrout.

Will check out the web site.

hostess November 11th, 2003 01:11 AM

KUKI, We are planning on cruisinf Hawaii in july 2004 on ncl pride of america. Are there tour operators standing near the docks to take you on snorkeling etc like in caribbean ports or should we go through the ship? Any other helpful info on hawaii would be great. Thanks, Happy Cruising to all!!!!

Starfighter November 15th, 2003 07:48 PM

Hostess, Check out the following site on the internet for the best prices on tours available to my knowledge: bestofhawaii.com : then click on activities : then click on Tom Barefoot's Cashback Tours : then click on each island that you're going to : then click on the activities on the right hand side that you're interested in : look at the choices available. That's it. The best selection I've ever seen, the best prices I've ever seen and from a company that's been in business for almost 30 years. Good luck

hostess November 23rd, 2003 09:29 PM

Thanks for the website. I will check it out.