CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Parking overnight in Oahu (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256293-parking-overnight-oahu.html)

Debbie Whitehead January 5th, 2004 07:00 PM

Parking overnight in Oahu

My husband and I will be taking the Holland America cruise to Hawaii from Seattle in April. We are going to rent cars on all of the islands and will be on Oahu overnight. Does anyone know of a place near the Aloha Tower where we can park our rental car overnight?

Donna Hill January 6th, 2004 11:17 AM

Re: Parking overnight in Oahu

We went in the fall of 2002 and parked our rental car overnight just right there at the Tower in an open lot that had security and worked with the cruise lines. The cruise line directed us to this parking area, and there may have been others in the area too, but that was convenient and easy for us. I think it was about $15.

Please consider this info: Be careful in Honolulu with your rental car, and leave your valuables on the ship. There were several passengers from our sailing whose cars were broken into, and our rental car agency (Enterprise) advised us that 30% of their cars are broken into in Honolulu. We forget when we are in Paradise that Honolulu is a big city, and there is the usual big city crime. Unfortuately, a couple from our dinner table was at a state park to watch the sunset (Puu Aakala, and it was spectacular) and had left their valuables in the car taking only their cameras out on a platform to take photos. They were about 10 feet from their car, but the thieves managed to "punch" the door lock on the passenger side and get her purse, his wallet and backpack, a camera bag, etc. The shocking thing is that the police told the passengers that this frequently happens in this area, and they had not been warned. Bummer of a vacation incident.

Frommers has some great scenic drive routes on this island if you want to check that out.

Donna

Debbie Whitehead January 6th, 2004 11:13 PM

Thanks! I knew of a lot near the Aloha Tower but didn't know where. You wouldn't happen to remember where, more or less, the location was do you?

We are pretty well aware of the problem with car break-ins in Hawaii. We've been there several times (just never on a cruise ship) and use the simple rules of safety you'd use in any big city. Hawaii and their warm 'aloha' does lull you into a false security of everything being safe and wonderful.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Debbie

Donna Hill January 8th, 2004 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Parking overnight in Oahu

Hi Debbie,

I remember we came of the Tower front entrance and turned right to the parking lot, but it was less than a block away. It was literally at the base of the terminal. Hope that helps, and I hope you have a great time.

Donna

John L. January 25th, 2004 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Parking overnight in Oahu

The lot is East of the tower. As you walk toward the lot, there is an ocean bulkhead where you can look into the water and see many fish. I think there was a small restaurant there too.The weird thing is that I had to go to an office in the 2nd or 3rd floor of the last building, before the bulkhead, and pay for the parking and get a decal for the inside windshield. It was pricey, as the other writer said--$15-25 or so. Ask around. All the locals know of the lot, since it is the only one...

John L.

Debbie W February 1st, 2004 10:09 PM

Mahalo! That helps a lot! We'll keep our eyes peeled and ask the locals.

Debbie