Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Yeoman

Default December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, how is the weather

I am planning to book the Celebrity Infinity R/T San Diego to Hawaii this April for December.

Can anyone tell me if the ocean is rough this time of year?

This particular cruise is a 15-nighter and has four days at sea to Hawaii.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Passenger

Default Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, how is the wea

We were on the Regal Princess in December to Hawaii for 15 nights. The water was very rough for 4 or 5 of those days. I spent a lot of time in bed reading, and eating very lightly. Wore an electronic relief band that worked like a charm. Am very prone to seasickness and when I felt the sensation I just headed for my bed. Would be glad to answer any particular questions you might have.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Cathy,
I believe the 12/5/04 Infinity sailing to Hawaii (rt out of San Diego) is sold out. Celebrity doesn't even list it anymore, and I'm told that's because they don't have any more cabins. I've heard there are a few TAs that still have a few cabins available, but I don't know who they are. I wouldn't wait until April to book that cruise; I'd book asap...if you can find one of the TAs who still has cabins. Good Luck!
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, how is the

Kathy, this cruise has been "red coded" for months, my TA can't even do a name change. If I were you, I'd check Celebrity's site at least 2-3 times weekly to see if they opened the cruise, or ask your TA to do that for you. I truly beleive as the crusie gets closer to final payment, there will be many cancellations. This cruise started booking in August and I would suspect that lots of people's plans will change. Good luck.
Nancy
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM
hcat

what is "redcoded"?
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:48 PM
LoveAlaska

My underestanding from my TA is that "code red" means the cruise is sold out and they are not allowing any changes to existing bookings other than cancellations. I hear there are some TAs out there who have some cabins, but they're tough to find.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:26 PM
TinaJohnson

Hi we're booked on this one as well. We took the Mercury a couple of years back from Hawaii to Ensenada in late October. We had a reasonably smooth crossing, a tropical storm was way to our south and caused a bit of a swell on a day or two. By early December the tropical season is pretty much wrapped up, but alas it is open ocean and hard to predict.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:06 PM
collette

I'm booked on the Island Princess for a 15 nt cruise-LA to Hawaii in December and wondered the same thing about the seas/weather so thanks for the info everyone!
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:22 AM
KIM STANTON

Hi Cathy

Hoped you managed to get booked!

My partner and I are sailing on the cruise, so I was glad you asked the question - wasnt sure if we should bring shorts or sweaters!

Can anyone let me know what the evening temps are like? I know we are on the ship most of the time anyway, but just wondered.

Back to the booking - We are in the UK and booked our Dec 04 cruise back in Oct 03 and we had trouble then! We were told by Celebrity direct that the cruise was fully booked but managed to find a TA that had a couple of spaces left. Was very surprised at how popular this cruise is!

Needless to say, as we only have another 11 weeks to go, we are finally getting into the holiday mood and really cannot wait to see the volcanoes and whales etc and of course, just have a couple of weeks taking things easy

Regards

Kim
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Pat Reetham

Hallo Kim, We are also on the same cruise flying out from Heathrow on 4th Dec. I was in Hawaii 11 years ago in December and it was very hot with intermittent rain showers. I am being to get excited now even thought the final balance is due! Have you cruised before? I have pre-booked 4 trips so I could get just what I wanted. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards Pat
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, how is

Hello Pat

Yes we too are flying out on the 4th - we were going from Heathrow but have been told our flight is now from Gatwick! We are flying with continental airways - havent flown with them before so not sure what they are like and for reasons unknown, we have to fly to houston, wait around for three hours (is there enough to keep us amused anyone?) then fly to san diego, where we stay overnight, then we board the ship the next day.

We have been on four cruises but all with Carnival - from what I have read, it will be a different cruising experience! We have never been to hawaii either and as it is somewhere i have always wanted to go, we are getting very excitited about it!

The only trip I have booked so far is whale watching on the 15th - so if anyone on there sees an excited engishwoman with cameras and videos leaning over the boat to get good pics, its me!

We are thinking of doing the helicopter ride over the volcanoes (diet started as you have to declare weight before you get on) and a snorkel and raft adventure. So many things to decide from trip wise - not sure what are the best and not so good ones so will play it by ear.

Nice to hear from someone else who is going on the cruise!

Must go now and do some work!

Regards

Kim
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
Passenger

Hi Kim! We too are booked on the same cruise. I think the reason you are flying to Houston is because that is Hub city for Continental Airlines. Don't sweat the three hour lay over. Chances are good that your flight will not be on time anyways. Houston is a big airport and it took us a while to walk from end to end this past summer. Your flight to San Diego will probably start boarding 40 minutes before departure, so you should not be bored for very long. I have heard that the weather in December will be 70-80, and a bit rainy. I have heard that December is their rainy month. We will pack a little of everything to be safe. Do you have any idea what time embarkation starts for our cruise since we do not leave until 9 P.M?
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:33 AM
KIM STANTON

Hi Andrea

Great - someone else on the cruise! You are scarying me with the probable flight delay - I do not enjoy flying anymore (had a hell flight from Turkey some years ago - put me right off flying1) and now just want to get where Im going ASAP, so im hoping they will excel themselves and be on time! At least we wont get bored if houston is a massive airport - the hanging around bit, for me, is the worst!

Not sure when we get on the ship -possibly around 1 ish? That seems to be around the time we have boarded before. I guess they need time to clean all the cabins and other chores once they have docked.

I think we too, will take a bit of everything clothes wise. we did a cruise to mexico from LA in June one year - we were expecting lovely sunshine but the reality was rain, as it was the start of the rainy season and we did not know! The journey out was pretty rocky and really cold and we had to go and buy fleeces!

Well only 10 weeks to go now - as we booked it so long ago, it seemed forever for the hol to come round,then all of a sudden, time is flying by.

As long as we see a bit of sun, I shall be happy as december is a miserable month weatherwise for us in the UK.

Right had better go as I am at work and have sneaked onto the site

See you on the ship!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:50 AM
Passenger

Don't worry about a thing. You will have a wonderful flight and your plane will bo in time. It's only the planes that I fly on that tend to run late!
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Everyone, I'm also on this cruise with some friends. There is a very large group on the Cruisecritic nessage boards who are on our cruise, why not join in. Have you registered for the CC party? Was in Hawaii last year on October, the weather was wonderful, a bit chilly sailing back from Hawaii to San Diego. We are renting a car in Kona, and doing some ship tours in the other ports. In Kauai, taking the Movie Tour wiith a group from CC.
Nancy
Old September 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Hi Grannynanny! I finally found your posting. How do I go about signing up for the CC party? Any kids on the cruise? I am sure my 11 year old son would love to play with somebody instead of doing homework all the time.
Old September 25th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Andrea, no kids that I'm aware of, sorry. Your son is very lucky to be going on this cruise.

Nancy
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:46 AM
KIM STANTON

Hi

Does the CC party stand for cruise critics or something else? Can anyone go? If so, how do we book it?

There is only two of us going this time, so it would be nice to be able to meet someone to chat with!
Anyone fancy meeting up somewhere on the ship for a greet and meet?? Perhaps over a cocktail or two??
Kim
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, ho

Hi Kim, CC does stand for Cruisecritic. Anyone can sign up, it's a cruise message board just like here at Cruisemates. To sign up, go to Cruiseciritc.com.
I'll send you an e-mail with more details.
Nancy
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:01 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii

Hi Nancy

Just tried to join the party and I got a message saying "invitation closed for voyage" doesnt sound too good!

Someone may have to sneak us in via a back door!!

Kim
Old September 27th, 2004, 06:27 AM
KIM STANTON

Hi Again

Well had another go and was successful this time (phew)- think it said 198 people now in total going!

Have never been to one of these before, so what can I expect?? Is there a protocol or anything, or do we just chat to whoever looks friendly and approachable??

Thanks

Kim
Old September 27th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Pat Reetham

Hallo Kim and Others, That's what I was wondering - i have enrolled for the C.C. party but am otherwise in the dark. Bye the way are you staying at Sheraton in San Deigo on the Saturday night ? Pat Reetham
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:10 AM
KIM STANTON

Hi Pat

We do not yet know where we are staying - the TA said we would find out about 6 weeks beforehand.

If we are staying in the same Hotel, perhaps we can meet up in the evening!

Kim
Old September 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Pat Reetham

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii, ho

Hallo Kim, that sounds ok - we got the passenger itinerary from Celebrity in March which listed all the flight info and hotel info. a little info about us - I am 56 (Really only16) H is 57 the Friday before cruise - last year we celebrated his birthday in Mauritius and the previous year in the Cayman Islands on a Caribbean cruise on Oceana (no we didn't get the norwalk virus but most people on ship did). H is a farmer in rural Lincolnshire and I am a senior Interviewer for NOP research. At home I have 29 yo son -mleft once and came back, also niece from Ireland at school here for 2 years. My hobbies are red wine, scrabble and gossip - H is sleeping as he is driiling at the moment. We are in 8031 balcony but not posh!! Kim who are you? PatR
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:21 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Hawaii

Hi Pat

Well, you have far more info than we do -we still do not know our cabin number, hopefully though we should get info soon!

Right, a bit about me and my beloved (Todd) I am 45 (not sure how I got to this age as I think I am still in my twenties) Todd is 36 (toyboy) and we have been together a little over 16 years. We live in Wiltshire, having moved out from Surrey about 12 years ago. Todd is a printer and I work in finance (not the big earner bit though!) Could not have kids (ovary problems) so try and have nice hols instead.

We both also like red wine, Todd loves food and is counting up the meals on the shop but remians annoyingly the same weight., whereas I look at a cake and put on a stone! try and keep fit (but failing) by tap dancing (love the noise the shoes make) and aqua areobics and things along those lines. I love to read and read all sorts, from greek mythology to jackie collins and have just finished the Da Vinci Code which I really enjoyed.

On hol, we have days doing nothing but milling around, reading and sunbathing other days we are a bit more enerjtic and like to do various trips. Can snorkel but not brilliantly but enjoy that, I have scuba dived once, many years ago but would like to do it again. On the ships, we eat later then normally hit a bar, or see a show, depending what it is. Not really into gambling as I do not know what I am doing but will have a go with my bucket worth of twenty dollars!

We have friends of all ages - twentys to seventies - and are both pretty out going, will chat to all and sundry, and like to have a laugh! Like a brandy or too as well but not into drinking too much as we hate and cannot handle, hangovers (too old now) I will have a go at karaoke (sober) as i like the sound of my own voice - even if no one else does! I will try most things once (except bunngy jumping)

Think thats about it really, not sure what else to say!

Kim
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Pat Reetham

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego to Ha

Hi Kim and Anyone else out there who are following this British post, It is good to here about you bout - at least we shall have some common ground when we meet. Just curious - on computer my background picture is the pool deck of Infinity at night and it looks so inviting that I want to jump in the pool. What is your picture? this year has gone so fast - 9 weeks tomorrow we are off to Heathrow to stay over before flight vis Chicago to SD. We have been ther twice before so will just enjoy the hotel and area before joing ship. Its getting exciting now. Goodnight from Pat
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:59 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Diego t

Hi Pat

Yes, we too are starting to get into the holiday mood and I am driving people mad by giving them a weekly countdown till we go!

I have nothing so exciting on my PC - just the work logo! I work in London during the week and stay with a friend up here, then back to wiltshire at weekends. Hopefully, back to wiltshire full time next year but jobs are hard to come by down there, especially in my area (asset management, stocks and shares) most of these companies are in london or main towns. Anyway, deal with that when it happens!

What airline are you going with? We will stay at my friends on the friday night and shoot to gatwick (only 20 mins away) sat morning for our flight.

Journey will be long and am not looking forward to it but its the price i pay for the holiday so it will be worth it.

Have been to san diego once before but i expect we will be so shattered from the travelling, we will probably eat, then sleep. Not sure what time we arrive at hotel but i think its about 9 at night - what time do you get to san diego?

Well as i am at work i had better do some

Bye for now

Kim
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Pat Reetham

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San Die

Evening Kim,
We are flying forn Heathrow to Chicago to SD due to arrive in SD at 7.00 p.m. We fly with United airlines and go back at UK on small plane to LA before flight home on a 777, arriving lunch-time back to the cold and the dark and snow and rain (oh dear lets plan the next trip).
How come you don't know your cabin no and other details? - was it a run of the ship booking? If you get the Penthouse Suite can I be your friend!
Must be getting sad I bought " those "cards today and I shall write them while I have still got lots of time. Look forward to hearing more from you and anyone else who would like to join us. Cheers Pat
Old October 5th, 2004, 04:18 AM
KIM STANTON

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: December Cruise from San

Good Morning Pat

When we booked it, we were guarenteed a balcony 2 c cabin - thats all I know at the moment.

TA said we would find out details approx 6 weeks before we go so we should hear in the next couple of weeks. If I am in the penthouse - I just may never leave!!

We have been given flight times but they may change - wait till we get the actual tickets! Well the weeks are starting to creep by now. I too will send "those cards" at the end of november, with a little note telling all where I am going!

No more info on the CC party - will just have to turn up and go with the flow!

Is definately getting wintery now - cold, wet and miserable - Oh to be able to afford to spend the winter in sunny climes!

We have our hols for the next three years planned - Cuba next year, Alaskan cruise 2006 and taking god child to disney orlando in 2007! Have no idea what will happen job wise (tescos here i come!!!) but hols are all sorted out!

What trips have you booked Pat? So far, we have booked the hwlae watching on the 15th - not sure whther to book other trips we fancy now or wait till we get on board!

Well, bye for now - a mere 8 weeks 4 days to go!

Kim
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Pat Reetham

Kim, Probably gone a bit OTT with trips this time - 10 dec Princeville Waterfall Hike, 11 dec Arizona mem and Mighty mo (been there before but thought for price we could stay longer and do our own thing),13 dec Mauna Kea Summit tour, 14 dec Outrigger Canoe (booked for late morning then we can just laze on beach and i think Elvis might come along to sing for me, 15 dec Lanai Wild Dolphin and snorkel. I have booked on the net direct with Celebrity so that it won't "hurt" so much as they add up to quite a bit, but working on principal its cheaper to do things at the time and not regret it. Must go, got to fech a man from down a field. Pat