Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:02 PM
RSMBob

Default Advice needed for parent's Hawaii cruise next fall

Hi all,

My parents are relatively inexperienced cruisers but are very interested in dojgn the next one "right". They are in their early 70s and in excellent health and very active. They would like to cruise to Hawaii and explore the islands via the cruise ship, preferably a one-way cruise to or from Hawaii and a flight back the other way. Money is not a major concern, but getting a great cruise experience and good value is. They especially don't like being nickel-and-domed to death for each little thing onboard the ship, and while their culinary tastes are not cutting edge, they do appreciate good food. The timeframe they are looking at is next fall when the weather starts turning in Chicago...Oct-Dec or so.

Any advice, recommendations and information is most appreciated!

Bob in RSM, CA...made my maiden cruise Voyage June/July '03 on the Crystal Harmony to Canada/Alaska!
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Advice needed for parent's Hawaii cruise next fall

At that time of year any number of ships are repositioning from Alaska, and a whole bunch do so via Hawaii. I would imagine that Princess would have several ships doing this kind of trip and I'm sure there are others as well. Generally they are 11 day cruises with a 4 day crossing from Vancouver and 7 days spent in Hawaii.
Old February 20th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Frequent Cruiser

Have they looked into doing a Holland America ship round trip from San Diego? It's another option that might be attractive.
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hi
I am doing Carnival Spirit in September. A little earlier than you specified. Vancouver to Honolulu, 12 days. I have sailed on this ship before and I think it is a wonderful experience.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 19th, 2004, 03:53 AM
First Mate

With the age range u specify I also recommend either first choice Holland America or second is Princess - Carnival isn't for that age group...Haven't checked it out myself yet but try Celebrity also - good food & service - great also for this age range. Hope this helps & happy cruisin'!!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Granny

We are going on the Princess Island on Nov, 20th from LA to the Islands and back. We are also older and really enjoy the Princess ships. They is a lot of retired people on them AND there is a lot of thing to do. Its five ddays over five days on the islands and five days back. We love to cruise so do not mine the cruise days like some people. We fine it very relaxing and can always find something to do. Hope this helps!!!
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
First Mate

October and November are great times of the year to visit Hawaii. I was there last year in November and year before in October. October was the pick to go back this year too. Not too humid or too hot, just nice cool breezes.

Old June 20th, 2004, 07:22 PM
hcat

What abt late Sept into Oct?