Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Passenger

Default Luaus on Oahu comments wanted

We're trying to decide between Germaines Luau and Paradise Cove Luau for our Thanksgiving dinner. This will be at the completion of our Hawaii cruise. Can anyone give us any insight. Thanks.
tj
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:09 PM
hanna

Default Re: Luaus on Oahu comments wanted

We have lived on Oahu for almost 6 years, I have been to Germaines about 10 times, I have been to Paradise Cove once. The reason....I think Germaines makes you feel more at home, more like an authentic luau. Paradise Cove is more commercialized. Seems like they are all about getting the money there. Germaines is smaller, more intimate. Germaines is on the beach...but it is rocky, and not accessible to the water. On that note, Paradise Cove does have a leg up....nicer beach. Drinks-Germaines has awsome drinks, they don't skimp on liquor. I think Paradise Cove just gives you fruit punch.

So, all that said, I prefer Germaines.
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Diane01

We also live on Oahu and I would also suggest Germaine's over Paradise Cove. We went to Paradise once and ever since went back to Germaine's (I have also been to the one at Hale Koa). Like Hanna said, they do not skimp on the liquor and lots of times if you talk to the bartenders they don't even take the drink coupon (or I have given them 1 when I should have given 2). You will get 3 coupons for drinks per person if over 21....My suggestion also is go to the gift shop and buy the Germaine's souvenir glass for $6.00, it is about 2.5 times the size of the plastic cups they use for the drinks and they will use that instead.

I don't know your itenarary, but are you going to be in port all night? That would be the only way to go to a luau.
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the comments. Germaine's it is. I was leaning towards them but since this
is probably a once in a life time shot for us I wanted to be sure. We debark on 11/24 and don't leave till 11/27. Our Thanksgiving dinner will be the Luau at Germaines.
Thanks again.
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:04 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Luaus on Oahu comments wanted

Great advice. Wld appreciate knowing where to buy tickets to Germaines. We are on a cruise to Hawaii in late Jan and are on Oahu a week pre cruise so want to go also. Where else do u recommend we eat out? We love to experiment so will try anything - well at least once...We have been there before and 'done' the usual - like Pearl Harbor, Poly Show etc but do u recommend anything else?. Sure appreciate replies & happy cruisin'!
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Familiar Face

third try - check out the Hawaii Entertainment book now going for $10 - I think it has a coupon for the Germaine Luau.
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:55 PM
hcat

Thanks for the link to germaines website. Could you pls answer the following: How much is the luau at Germaines, how far ahead should one book & how far is it from the cruise ship & what time is it held? Would plan to do a day excusrion & then do the luau before ship sails at 11 pm. Could this work out timewise....? If not do you have a non-touristy suiggestion for a nice dinner place near the ship area?