Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default dollar car rental in hawaii

hi as any one used dollar car rental on the islands.
traveling to Honolulu kona hilo and lahaina.
which locations have shuttles to the pier and if not any ideas on the cab rates to the rental office our.
many thanks for any info you can provide on this or any recommendations on places to visit on the islands.

thanks in advance
blue cruiser.
ps
can not wait till the next dam ship am addicted

statendam Alaska may 2003.
ryndam mexico october 2003.
statendam hawaii april 2004.
westerdam norway jume 2004.
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Debbie W

Default Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

I will be on a 'dam' ship next month to Hawaii. I used Budget on Oahu, Hawaii (Hilo and Kona), Maui and Kauai. I talked to a Budget agent yesterday and was told that there is shuttle transportation from the dock to the airport to pick up the car. I even got the office phone numbers for each Budget on each island. I can call them when we're about ready to dock and have the shuttle waiting for me.

There were at least two places, Honolulu was one, think Hilo was the other, that have rental car curtesy phones at the end of the dock for you to use.

I'd suggest you call Dollar's 800 number and ask if there are shuttles in each port. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't!
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Passenger

We used Dollar car rental everywhere but Kona, where it was more convenient to rent from Budget, and Hilo,where there was not much time to do anything else but our helicopter trip.

make your reservation, and bring your cell phone. Call the office you are renting from to send the van to the pier. Make a note that the last shuttle from the agency to the pier is at 4pm, so you'll have to have it turned in, and be waiting for the shuttle by then.

You're making the right choice, this is the best way to see the islands
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:47 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

I agree with Bob C that the rental car is the best way to see the islands (we did so much more than the passengers who went on the tours and got to go at our own pace), but I strongly believe that reserving through the cruise line is the best bet because it saves you time, which is really precious while you are in port. We had others from our sailing who did it your way, and we saved between a half hour and an 1 1/2 hours each day by using the cruise line's shore excursion rental car. We know this because we compared notes with fellow passengers. When using the cruise line's services, the paperwork is done before you set foot in port, so you simply get your keys and that's it. No need to call for a shuttle, etc. The savings are only $5-10 per day to do it yourself, so it was well worth it to us to have the extra time in the islands.

Happy traveling,
Donna
Old March 23rd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

We're going on Carnival Spirit and I can't seem to find where we could book the option of reserving a car through Carnival. How did you do this?
Thanks!
Eileen
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

Hi Eileen,

The rental cars on our ship were booked through the shore excursion department, and it was quick and easy. I don't about Carnival but, as previously noted, if they offer this option, it will be quick and easy for you.

Donna
Old March 24th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

Does anyone know if Princess has the option of renting a car through them versus the car rental agency? From what I've read on these boards, it may not be a bad idea. I've noticed alot of people having to wait for shuttles. We don't have much time on each island as it is and I'd hate to have to waste a minute of it to pick up a car.

Island Princess - Hawaii
February 2005

Pacific Princess - Alaska
June 2003
Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Kehaulani

Default Re: Re: Re: dollar car rental in hawaii

luv2cruise,
What cruise line where you on that offered the rental cars?
Old July 24th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Passenger

My TA advised me we can arrange for a rent a car through the purser on the Wind.
tj