Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM
James Beuerman

Default Hawaii - Jan/05 on Aloha

Hi,

Considering a cruise on the Pride of Aloha next Jan02/05. Anyone heard anything about the ship, how NCL is as a cruise company (saw some scary reviews) and how January is weather-wise to travel around Hawaii?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:07 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Hawaii - Jan/05 on Aloha

Hi -booked on Pride myself for the 23rd of Jan. As the old 'Sky' is being refurbished in May for about 45 days & taking the name Pride of Aloha - the ship will seem brand new and Sky has had some good reviews re: food.. Have read some bad, some average & some good reviews for NCL ! They aren't as upscale as Celebrity or as service consc. as HAL or as 'fun' as Carnival but offer a little less for a smaller price. As far as Hawaii goes I can't wait! The itinerary is great - lots of ports, overnites in two of them so more port time and less sea time and the weather should be quite nice - no guarantees but then when are there? You will experience some light rain likely but not the heavy stuff and it's warm. U can go in Feb - March & likely get very little to none but the cost of the cruise goes up a lot. We are sailing close to the islands so not likely to experience much in the way of rough seas either. Relax, enjoy & happy cruisin'!
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Passenger

Will be traveling on the Pride of Aloha in Sept. 2004 to Hawai'i
I can hardly wait it sounds like the ship will be really beautiful and ralatively new by the time I take my cruise. I was one of the passengers that got bumped off the Pride of America when it sank, but I'm just as happy to be on the Aloha - This is my first time with NCL and I to am concerned about some of the reviews, but I feel the best thing to do is just to go with the flow and have fun..............no matter what -any time I can get away from work then I'm happy. NCL would have to be really really bad for me to be unhappy about going and being in Hawaii

Post Edited (04-08-04 15:18)
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Hawaii - Jan/05 on Aloha

Nursemate - great attitude and because of it you'll never have a 'bad' cruise - Happy cruisin'!!
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Hawaii - Jan/05 on Aloha

Hi, we also were booked on a cruise in Nov. 2004 on Pride of America and got switched to Aloha. Really couldn't be disappointed as just happy to be going to Hawaii as we haven't been there since '80. Please let me know your experiences with NCL and have a wonderful time!! SueZ
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Admiral

I have not sailed on any of NCL's newer ships, but have sailed NCL in Hawaii. Not a perfect cruise, but none are. On the other hand, cruising on a garbage scow and eating McDonalds would be heaven. After all you are crusing in Hawaii.
If you have cruised before the freestyle may take a bit of getting used to and the novice may find "navigating" 10 or 12 food choices a bit daunting for the first day or two. Eventually I believe everyone will fall into a groove and enjoy it. Again , the destination is the thing on a Hawaiian cruise.
The various overnights give you the great ability to see more and do more.
On Maui we were able to check out the town of Lahaina, do a long (and great ) catamaran/snorkel tour to Lanai, experience the nightlife, take a multistop island tour and still get in some significant shopping time.
May I be so bold as to suggest some things for you folks to check out?
1) If you spend extra time in Oahu your "must dos" would include Pearl Harbor Memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center.Huanama Bay for beach and snorkelling, North Shore surfing (just watching is a sport in itself).
2) On Maui. If you do a Luau, do Old Lahaina. It is by far the best on all the islands.
If you do not do a Luau, check out the very unusual show called Warren and Annabells in Lahaina. You will be thoroughly entertained. For touring , you will not have enough time to do the road to Hana. To do it and enjoy it completely you need 10 to 12 hours.
You may want to do sunrise at Hakeakala. Other things to see, Maui Plantation (take the tram tour) , Iao Valley(spectacular scenery), Maui Ocean Center (might be the best "seaquarium" anywhere. No whale or dolphin shows, a little more scientifically oriented). Snorkelling at Molokini (best trip is run by Four Winds II). Almost any boat trip on the channel between Maui and Lanai will become a whale watching experience in January.
3) Kuaii Try and take an all day comprehensive tour. Let someone else do the driving.
Waimea Canyon is a several hour ride and you will also want to see things like the spouting horn, Wailou Falls and Wailou River, Fern Grotto and more. Napali Coast by air or by sea.
4) Big Island- Volcanos , Orchid farms, Macademia nut plantation on the Hilo side.
Snorkelling on Kona or Hilo side ( prefer Nelsons point on Kona side) .
Any Island, Beaches are spectacular, try them out.
Enjoy your cruises.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:40 PM
gumpgirl

I am sailing on the Pride of Aloha on July 4, 2004 (right after the christening). I too
agree with you. Any cruise in Hawaii will be great!! I am a first time cruiser, and have
planned several shore excursions to see the islands. Thanks for your suggestions. I was considering the Warrens and Annabelles show, and now I think I'll do it.

Happy cruising.