Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Default Molokini snorkel questions.

I have a couple of questions that I have faith will be answered here.
We are going on the NCL Wind in November and are interested in snorkeling (me) and scuba diving (dh) at Molokini off of Maui. We are on a budget so most of our snorkeling on the trip will be at the beaches. My questions are these:
1. I have read you should do Molokini in the morning due to trade winds, however, all the tours Iím finding on my own leave too early. NCL does offer a couple of shore excursion for Molokini. Has any one taken them? Were they a good value?
2. Has anyone found and taken a non NCL excursion that fits within the time frame of being in port (8am)?
3. My second question is if Molokini doesnít work out
Where would be the next best place to go off shore and snorkeling/scubing?
Thanks to all in advance for your help.
tj
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Molokini snorkel questions.

True, most excursions for Molokini leave early in the morning and winds are generally lighter. You will find the tour offered by NCL to be fine, if Molokini is what you want to do , take the NCL excursion. If you decide to go independent, book with Four Winds II. They do the best snorkel trip whether you go morning or afternoon. An alternative would be to take a snorkel excursion that takes you accross to Lanai. Great ride, great snorkelling and you will see dolphins and from December to April will see whales as well (as you will on trip to Molokini).
Another alternative is to go out to Kanapali Beach and snorkel in the area around Black Rock (this can be done right off the beach).
If you ask locals you will hear rumors about great snorkelling near milepost 14 on the main highway . Ignore this advice. The coral was killed off by runoff from nearby plantations and the beach area is inhabited by active tiger sharks.
Have a nice trip
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
First Mate

where exactly is mile mark 14? I will be there in October at Kahana and I snorkel at several beaches along the highway. I want to avoid this place as I wouldn't want to run into a tiger shark. Please tell me where to avoid.

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Molokini snorkel questions.

About half way between Makeena and Lahaina. The road runs right along the water and there is a beach there.
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:46 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Molokini snorkel questions.

Oh my gosh, That is exactly where I ususally snorkel! Not anymore though, thanks to you. Darn, I liked that place too. Always alot of fish to see. What beach do you suggest near kahana?

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Molokini snorkel questions.

Black Rock on Kanapaili, Kahana Beach, Napili Bay, Kapalua Bay all have decent snorkelling .
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Molokini snorkel questions.

Yes they do and I will stay at these beaches this year for my snorkeling. And thanks again for your advice!!!

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Beginner

I would skip Molokini. I had my first open water dive there and most of the boats haul people like cattle. There are many places along the shore to snorkle/dive that are free and not so crowded. Search online or go to a dive shop and they will provide you sites to snorkel.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Beginner

I would skip it too. I just got back from there 3 days ago and it was our worst snorkel while in hawaii. The winds are bad, the actual snorkeling is really deep, so its tought to get down to the bottom, and you can't go ashore because of the bird sanctuary. Did i mention the 50 mph winds? yeah our 150 passenger boat got air on the ride back. If you want fun on Maui do the downhill bike ride at sun rise. Best thing we did even though I hate mournings. Oh the maui ocean center was alot better than molokini, its right next to the pier where the boats leave, and costs 20 bucks a person.

Post Edited (08-06-04 02:38)