Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Minnesota Dan

Default Volcano tour choices?

Summer 2005 Hawaii cruise booked. There are so many tour choices that it is hard to choose. Fodor recommends the volcano tours on Hawaii and Maui as their first choices. I don't think we will be doing two volcano tours unless there is a compelling reason. For those who have done both, which would you recommend and why?
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Volcano tour choices?

The volcanos on the big island are active, you can see lava flowing, steam vents etc,
Haleakala volcano on Maui is dormant. You go to the top for the sunrise , the awesome size of the crater and the scenery. Completely different tours.
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:46 AM
hanna

I have never done an "organize group tour" of either volcano. Although I have been to both, if I HAD to pick, I would go with Big Island, only because it is active, whereas Maui's Mt Haleakala is dormant, it basically looks like what you would imagine the moon's surface or Mars would look like. Also, on top of Maui volcano is sooooooo cold, it is aprox 12 or 13,000 feet elevation!!!! Freezing! Even during the heat of the day it is about 35 degrees on top + the winds are about 25-30mph at all times. If you get motions sick from being in cars or vans that are making turns...don't do Maui's, all the road to the top is is one big hairpin turn after another. Big Island Kilauea is at about 4000 feet elevation, much more temperature comfy! Nice roads to drive on. The only road that get a little twisty is the Chain of Craters Rd. I LOVE BIG ISLAND!
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Big Island - no brainer. We've been there before and we're going again in August. Awesome sight.

Arlene
Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Yeoman

Done both..would recommend both. I agree that they are two completely DIFF treks.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:16 PM
Yeoman

i have never been to hawaii and want to go in a future cruise. what tour and island would be the best too see lava flowing into the ocean? would that be hilo?

Old August 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Susan Hofer

We did the Volcanos National park on the Big Island excursion from Celebrity and it was the best excursion we ever took with them. Very informative and educational. It can get chilly in the higher elevations. We stopped at Volcano House for an included lunch and everyone was buying jackets and sweatshirts. This was in May.
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:03 PM
gumpgirl

I just got back from a cruise where I actually walked on the lava tubes in Hilo, Hawaii. The lava was literally right under our feet about 3 to 4 feet down. It was awesome and quite amazing. We also saw it flow into the water. I also did the volcano (Mt. Haleakala) on Maui, and it was a fantastic view also. Two different tours. I chose the bicycle tour on Maui so we saw the crater and the view 10,023 feet above sea level, and then rode the bicycles 38 miles downhill (no pedalling). It was also a lot of fun. It depends on which you want.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:12 PM
ljones

Susan -

Was your Celebrity tour 4 1/2 hours? There is a longer one also where you walk out on the lava. I am trying to decide if I should opt for the longer one or not. Thanks.
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Kim Sta

Default Re: Re: Volcano tour choices?

Hi

To see flowing lava, is it best to do the helicopter tour from hilo, or the national parks tour on the ground?

Thanks

Kim
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:46 PM
BoozeBabe

You will NOT see flowing lava on the Volcanoes Nation Park tour. We just did that one 2 weeks ago. But it was a fantastic visit. We loved it. It was foggy and misty. Be sure to take a jacket. We saw steam rising from the ground though. That was pretty cool.
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Passenger

We just returned from Hawaii on the Serenade. The volcano on the big island was great. Roberts tours booked from the ship brought us to the volcano. Stopped at mauna loa macadamia nut factory, black sand beach and a few other stops along the way. Iyou could see the steam comming from the ground. Worth seeing I was not disappointed .
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:16 PM
gumpgirl@earthlink.net

BoozeBabe:

I did see active lava right under my feet from the Volcanoes National Park tour. I think it depends on your tour guide. My guide took followed the steam on up the mountain until we actually saw it under our feet. It was FABULOUS. I will never forget the sight, and we could only stay there a couple of minutes because the rubber on our shoes started to melt. Unforgettable experience.
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Hi,
We are renting a car on Hilo. We were planning on touring Volcanos National Park on our own. Do you think we need a tour guide? Or can we see pretty much the same thing on our own.

Cathy