Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Yeoman

Default i want to see lava flowing into the water

my dream cruise will be to hawaii. i would love to see the lava flowing into the water. that would be the ultamate site for me too see from the deck of a ship. what cruise line and tour would be the best. i am in the beginning stage of this cruise so i still need alot of help to get me going in the right direction. i saw the travel channel show about theme cruises and the ms patriot. is is a good choice.

thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: i want to see lava flowing into the water

Patriot belonged to a cruise line that went bankrupt not long after it started sailing.
Right now there is one cruise line , Norwegian, doing year round sailing in Hawaii and several others that cruise there mostly as repositioning cruises on the way to or from Alaska. Start with a good travel agent and let them know what you want.
One thing I can tell you, you may get to see lava flow into the water during an excursion
on the big island, but no cruise ship sails close enough to it to view it clearly from the ship.
Having done Hawaii by both cruise and "land" in the last few years I can tell you that you would probably get a lot more out of a ground based trip .
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:18 AM
Yeoman

PapaBill

thanks so much. i am sorry to hear about the patriot. i will check out a land trip as well. i did mean seeing the lava on a tour and forgot to key it in. so now i have more research to do---- cruising there or doing a vacation on a land based trip too fulfill my dream . i better save up alot of money for this one.

Old June 29th, 2004, 01:35 AM
hanna

I haven't taken any cruises around hawaii, but I live here. I just don't see any of the cruise ships that go through here being able to get that close to see the lava flowing into the ocean, I mean you might be able to see the smoke rising from a distance, but I don't think that is what you have in mind. One main reason I would think the ships couldn't go get very close is the fact that the fumes coming from the lava hitting the water are toxic. I have seen lava flowing into the ocean over there, but it was from a helicopter tour. That would probably be your best bet. Blue Hawaiian Helicopters is the one I used, they are very well informed & professional.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Craig

When we sailed on board the Norwegian Star, the ship came right up near where Madame Pele is growing the island. I am sure that the Norwegian Wind and Pride of Aloha are stopping by there too...sorta Hawaii's version of Glacier Bay. Hope you fullfill your dream and sail in the islands.
Aloha
Craig
Kaneohe, HI
Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Yeoman

thanks craig

i will be a few years in the making but im sure i will get there one day.

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:08 AM
asgiess

I just returned from the inaugural cruise from the Pride of Aloha on July 4th. Our ship went right by the lava going into the ocean. A couple of the lava tubes broke open right before the ship went by and the view of the lava going into the ocean was fabulous. It may have been a little too close for some cruisers who were actually fearful that the boat was too close.
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
tg_lindo

That is SO COOL that the Pride of Aloha had such a great view.

But anyone hoping to see the lava must understand (A) the flow can move and be more or less visible and (B) if you're off exploring in the Volcano National Park, you must be fit for potentially strenuous hiking and realize that you could wind up in potentially life threatening situations.

I'm not directing this at most sensible people, rather, to the stereotypical person who would walk to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in high heels without a canteen.

Actually, I can't recommend the Volcano National Park enough. On a land based trip, one could use any of the completely charming bed & breakfasts near the park as a convenient jumping off point to explore the park. The higher elevation of Volcano Village is pleasantly cool compared to Kona or Hilo.
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:28 AM
asgiess

Default Re: Re: i want to see lava flowing into the water

I also went on the hiking tour where we hiked around 4 hours on the lava fields. My zoom camera was able to pick up the lava going directly into the ocean. This was cool, but then our guide took us on up the mountain more and we watched for steam, hoping it would lead us to a broken open lava tube. It did, and we were, amazingly enough, able to see the lava flowing right under our feet (about 3 to 4 feet down). It was amazing, but I agree with you. You must be able to do a strenous hike and endure the extreme heat. It is not for the physically inactive. Enjoy!!