Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM
hcat

Default flight questions

We are cruising from Vancouve. r Does anyone know the approx flight time from NY JFK to Vancouver? We will book air via the cruiseline. (Royal) After the cruise, we will, stay over in Honolulu one extra day. Do you think we will be going home to Ny in one day? Where would we be likeyl to switch planes? How long is the flight to mainland--Calif ? TA will be going over this but I was curious so we know what we'd like to do. Thanks forany info--This board has really helped us plan our trip so far--now we are down to the details...
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:06 PM
hcat

Default Re: flight questions

someone did respond to us by e-mail & I am grateful--By that time I had learned how long the flights were & how expensive the air would be as it was not going to be RT....Based upon this & the need for more time than we have for this trip we are not going to do it in 05 (already have a Panama Canal booked that yr) we will wait for the yr we retire. Instead will try a Mex Riviera--shorter trip, easier to get to. I appeciate all the helpful suggestions given on the board.....it really does make trip planning so eay-...Aloha!
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:44 PM
John L.

Default Re: Re: flight questions

Even tho you have changed your plans let me mention our experience several years ago. We cruised RCI from Ensenada to Hawaii. We booked our air with RCI and they had a promotion for $200 pp and we left from Newark. It was nonstop on Continental to LAX (5 hours) and nonstop from Honolulu (9 hours). The fares have increased since then and I haven't seen any promos for air. I'm booked on the Carnival Spirit next spring from Honolulu to Vancouver but I haven't booked the air yet. If it is exhorbitant, I might cancel the cruise. It is hard to check rates when they are one way on the web. Seems the sites want round trip from same locations so you have to phone in to the airlilnes for one way to/from different locations.

John L.
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:37 PM
hcat

John I appreciate the info because we are determined to do Hawaii ..I am hoping the Mexico cruise we booked with a non stop flt to LAX will be a good trial run as I have never flown that far. (once to Colorado,once to San Juan, once to New Orleans & just usually to Florida.) I think when we do go we will need to stop over a night before going onto the next leg of the journey. 9 hrs is really too long--If my math checks out then it's 5 hrs to calif & another 4 from there to Hawaii??? Best to break it up with a stop over in Caif or maybe Las Vegas???. Hope your trip works out for you & the prices are low!
Old July 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
tg_lindo

for hcat:

more tidbits......

Aloha Air connects Las Vegas to Hawaii via Oakland, CA. (One flight a day, I think) I doubt the cruise lines use Aloha (don't know for sure).

California to Hawaii can be more like a 5-hour flight if strong headwinds. Return trip can be 4 hours.

Hawaii does not have daylight savings time. So between April & October the Aloha state is 6 hours behind NY. So breaking it up could help adjust. Of course, that assumes you can sleep in Vegas if you choose Vegas!

Major airlines have red eye flights out of Hawaii....you leave late evening and arrive in California at like 5am. You can connect to 6am flights to NY (~ 2:30pm arrival), but you'd have to be a complete masochist or really short on time to do that.

Last spring Celebrity had great deals on airfare. A buddy of mine paid $100 for air from San Fran to Honolulu and San Diego to San Fran.

Sadly, simply, Europe is closer to NY than Ny is to Hawaii!
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Valerie Malcolm

Default Re: Re: flight questions

That's exactly what we're doing! Stopping in Las Vegas for three nights to adjust to the time difference in stages. We are flying Aloha. They now have a nonstop flight from Las Vegas to Honolulu at 7:00 AM. We are also returning via Las Vegas and staying two nights. There is a direct flight back, but unfortunately it leaves at 8:30 AM on the day the cruise ends. Aloha did make arrangements for me to get back to Burbank, and then put me on Southwest for the flight from Burbank to Vegas as they don't fly between them anymore.

Valerie
Old August 2nd, 2004, 12:20 PM
hcat

We finally resolved all this. Can fly non -stop from our local airprt to LAX , stay over i night & then will cruise RT from La & back--was the best way to do it for us--Cruise is a long ways off but glad we found a way to do it....& in the meantime we are keeping our Mex Riviera anyhow>