Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Default hawaii shore excursions

My Husband and I are celebrating our 30th aniversary in September . We are taking the 11 night cruise on September 26th from Vancouver to Hawaii on Royal Caribbean. The islands we are stopping at are Hilo, Kailua, Maui, and getting off in Honolulu to fly home. Helicopter rides are definitely out. I booked the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui. Has anyone done the Waipio valley kings expeditions? We like to have fun but a 6 mile hike is not our cup of tea. Can anyone recommend what excurision should I book and should I book them on my own?. thank you I appreciate any help .
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: hawaii shore excursions

I strongly recommend getting some good guidebooks to see what kind of stuff you can do on the islands. There are so MANY things to do in Hawaii. When I went to Hawaii, it was not on a cruise but a land vacation. We did 3 islands: Big Island (Hawaii), Maui and Kauai. Personally I recommend renting a car on each island.. My personal favorite things to do:

BI: Volcanoes National Park and Pu'uo Honaunau (Place of Refuge)
Maui: Haleakala (it is NOT necessary to do this at dawn)
Kauai: Waimea Canyon abd Kokee'e, North Shore
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: hawaii shore excursions

Zeno

Thank you for your advice volcano national park sounds great. I am looking into a helicoptor tour after all. I hear they are safe, just a little scared. I wish I could find some couples who would be interested in renting a cab for the day on one of the islands. We are going to be on the Serenade of the Seas.
Old July 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM
BoozeBabe

babyface....We are also on that cruise. We are doing the Volcanoes Natl Park tour. The tours last so long I think it isn't possible to do more than one in a day. After all I DO need time for shopping. We are renting a car on Maui though. I usually hate the ship sponsored tours. It has been our experience that we could find the identical tour or the equivelant when we get off the ship. I have heard some "not so glowing " reports about the luas. One of those reports was from my cousin who was there last year. She said, "Don't waste your money on the luau." She said the food was horrible and the entertainment did not make up for the bad food. Other posts I have read suggested goin to a luau at a hotel. i have heard that the Polynesian Cultural Center has a much better show. Don't know about the food though. I think that is on Oahu in Honolulu, but not sure. We are not overnighting in Honolulu.

Hope you have a great time on the cruise too.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:33 PM
cruisersdm

Default Re: Re: Re: hawaii shore excursions

We are going on the Celebrity Infinity on 9/26/04 from Vancouver to Honolulu and we booked "The Movie Tour" in Kauai. The website is www.hawaiimovietour.com.
People that were on the Infinity last year loved it and are going again this year. I know that they book up quickly and the have almost two vans with just Infinity people. This is not an excursion thru the cruiseline. They pick you up and bring you back.

They tour you around Kauai where all the famous movies are made and then take you up in a helicopter for a full hour going around the complete island. It sounds wonderful and I can't wait. Check the website and you can call and talk to them, they are very helpful.
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:32 AM
Passenger

Dear BroozeBabe:

Thanks for the info. We are doing the Old Lahaina Luau in Maui not the luau the ship provides. Fodor's said it was the best luau. I heard it takes 15 min. walking from the dock in Maui. I am afraid that if I do not book excursions in advanced my husband will want to stay on the ship all the time. He is already worried abut walking to the luau in Maui. Do you know anything about snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay? I would like to be able to stand in the water or sit on the shore if we get tired. This is our very first long cruise. I hope you have a great cruise also.