Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Passenger

Default snorkel at kealakekua bay

Has anyone done the raft and snorkel adventure Royal Caribbean offers. I was wondering if the raft takes you to shore at kealakekua bay or do you snorkel off the raft? Also, what island is best to take a helicopter ride?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: snorkel at kealakekua bay

Helicopter rides on the "big" island (Hawaii) would take you over the live volcanos if you take off from Hilo especially.
On Kuai look forward to Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coastline from a helicopter.
On Maui look forward to the beautiful dormant volacano crater of Haliakala.
Oahu, Pearl Harbor, Diamond head and the north shore beaches.
All of course, beautiful ocean, beaches and other sights.
Best place? I don't know if that can be answered.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 02:31 PM
10X

We snorkeled in Kealakekua Bay in 2002 from a Royal Caribbean cruise. It's probably the same one. At any rate, we loved it. The bay is very popular scuba divers as well as the underwater life is unsurpassed. We' re planning on going back in 2006 and I will scuba this time. It's a gorgeous setting with calm water and lots of underwater life. Don't miss this one if you like snorkeling.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Passenger

Thanks 10X

Another question I am not a fantasitic swimmer do they floatation devices if you get tired? We have only snorkel once in the caribbean for a short time. I will definitly need instructions again. Are you swimming in deep water? Thanks again
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:20 PM
tg_lindo

In Hawaii, one must be extremely careful of surf breaks in shallow water and strong currents wherever you go.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
10X

The water in the bay is very deep, but I did not notice any current and we did not have a problem with surf breaks. We have our own snorkel vests so I do not recall if any were provided for the tour. You might check with Royal Caribbean to see if they have any you can rent.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: snorkel at kealakekua bay

10x

thanks for the advice I will call Royal Caribbean. What other excursions would you recommend?
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Kauai is my favorite island for a helicopter ride, esp. when you go over the Napali coast, which is only accessible by shore and a very long hike. Beautiful waterfalls, deep canyons, green, green, green (they don't call it the Garden Isle for nothing). Have also done volcanos on the Big Island, but prefer Kauai, which we have done 3 times.
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: snorkel at kealakekua bay

KLD

Unfortunately the Serenade is not stopping in Kauai. Kailua, Maui, Hilo and Oahu are the islands . I was disappointed when the itinerary arrived. Looking into helicopter ride on one of these islands. We are taking the tour to volcano National Park in Hilo. Any suggestions? This is a big trip for us very confused.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:36 AM
10X

Our cruise started in Ensenada and ended in Honolulu. Here is what we did along the way, as best as I can recall.

Kauai: Ship's tour to Waimea Canyon and Fern Grotto.

Kailua-Kona (Big Island): Snorkeling Kealakekua Bay

Hilo (Big Island): Ship's tour to Volcanos National Park.

Maui: Ship's tour; Snorkel Molokini. Book at dock, whale watching. We did an overnight here.

Oahu: We did a three day post cruise stay, went to Pearl Harbor, etc.

This year we did a 2 week land vacation in Hawaii, one week on Oahu and one week on Maui. We're considering going back in 2006 for one week in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island and one week on Maui. In 2005 our son is getting married on Maui so we'll be there for 8 days.