Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2004, 07:14 AM
tterryj50

Default Tahitian Islands

Although not planning a cruise vacation. we are planning a land based vacation in the Tahitian Islands. From you guys who have cruised these islands (Tahiti, Morea, Bora Bora, etc), which ones were you're favorite and why? We are trying to decide on which islands to visit. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Tahitian Islands

Moorea, Bora Bora and Huahine. Do be aware, BB is the most expensive. We love to snorkel, so I base our favorites alot on that.

Old September 11th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

For shear beauty of the island and the surrounding waters, you can't beat Bora Bora. We also enjoyed our time on Moorea, which is just a short boat ride from Papeete. No matter what island(s) you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Ryndam (sailing on 12/04/04)
Xpedition (sailing on 06/26/05)
Oosterdam (sailing on 10/01/05)

Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002
Sea Princess - 09/2001
Ocean Princess - 01/2001
Renaissance 3 - 05/2000
Sun Princess - 03/2000
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Denise Blackmore

Dear tterryj50,

I enjoyed my stays at all the islands I visited, which included Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea and Tahaa. They all offer something a little different, so where you go depends on what you'd like to do.

Bora Bora is the most well-known and is the most beautiful from above (helicopter). Moorea is very popular because its close to Tahiti, but is quieter and has better beaches, snorkeling, scuba diving, as well as whale watching. If you are looking for a quiet island I'd recommend Tahaa or Huahine. Both are very natural. The beach horse back riding in Huahine is great and the snorkeling in Tahaa is great. Raiatea I found good for shopping and the food there was incredible!

Have fun planning!

Denise Blackmore, ACC
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:14 PM
First Mate

It's been thirty years since I've been there, but I have many fond recollections of Moorea. The rich red volcanic soil, the deep blue inlets, the sheer mountains - they used the main peak as a background for "Bali Hai" in South Pacific. I stayed at Club Med in a real grass shack on a sheltered cove. Watch out for the fire coral if you snorkel! No doubt it's all changed since my visit, but it's still a magical place.

Just in - my MV Discovery cruise will include a short stop on Moorea! With only a few hours to sightsee, it'll be just a quick look, but I'm looking forward to it.

Post Edited (02-25-05 22:28)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old February 28th, 2005, 11:35 PM
dands

The Island of Tahiti has no white sand beaches, just a busy city of Papeete. Outstanding french onion soup at Acajou in Papeeete. Snorkled at Bora Bora at the reef, water temp 85 deg F. Moorea is only 12 miles from Tahiti, but it is a whole world away.

Enjoy your trip
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM
willing292

we spent 2 weeks on Moorea and loved every second of it. Excellent food, freindly people. the water is always warm.
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Barbara May

Just returned from a 2 week cruise through the South Pacific. Bora Bora was by far the most beautiful but as mentioned, very expensive. Moorea was wonderful. The people were very gracious. Raiatea was wonderful. We visited a small Pearl Farm and were able to snorkel there as well. It was wonderful. Papeete was nice, we were only there for a few hours until flying home.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Passenger

Been there 3 times and stay in Cooks Bay on Moorea........ best best view..... better than Bora........ which is so expensive the mosquitios charge you when they bite......

Hands down........ a cruise is the best......cheapest and nicest way to see these islands and not go broke