Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:21 PM
CruzCrazy

Default Poll: Hawaii Cruise or Land Tour?

Thought I would do a land tour to Hawaii, now researching a 14 night cruise R/T from west coast, very confused after reading CM's opinions on not enough time at the ports and the distance between port and sites.

Should I do a cruise or land tour?

Thanks, I know I can count on some solid opinions and advice.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Poll: Hawaii Cruise or Land Tour?

For us, it was attractive not to have to fly. I hate to fly so much that it is probably the only way in which I would ever get to go.

I have heard it's great to have the longer times in port (one of the downsides of cruising) but I also find that all the planning, meals, etc, usually adds up to the same amount of money and less relaxing.

That's just my opinion.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old April 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

I have done both and frankly would now prefer (and have booked) a land vs. cruise to Hawaii. Of your 14 days, you will spend 8 at sea. I happen to like my sea days, but if I wanted an extended Hawaiin vacation, this is not it. At best 6 of your 14 days will be in Hawaii and few of those will allow you late nights and early mornings on the islands. What it is is a great 14 day cruise, a whole lot of sea days, alot less flying and a 6 day "sampler" of the islands and ports.
What it is not ,is time to do the Polynesian Cultural Center from opening at noon until
the end of the last show at 10 pm (with a morning tour of the north shore on the way). It is not allowing for 12 hours or more to really appreciate the road to Hana. It is not allowing for waking at 2:30 am to do Haleakala for sunrise. It is not allowing for an all day side trip tp Lanai or Molokai. No way can any island be seen or appreciated in a single day or even with one overnight.
If you have 14 days, Fly to Oahu and spend 4, spend 4 or 5 on Kuai and the balance in Maui. Even after 14 days you will barely have spent enough time to see it all and "veg out a bit " as well.
If you want a cruise, then take the cruise , but if you want Hawaii, stay on the islands.
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM
CruzCrazy

Thanks Harry and PapaBill,

Harry I can see your point, it's like me jumping on a cruise to the Caribbean since I live in Miami. I can drive to either the Port of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I truly take advantage of that.

PapaBill, I know that you took did both the land and cruise and I appreciate the time you took to point out the specifics.

I think we will stick to our Tauck Tour, even though it's a little pricey, but you do stay in some nice resorts and they take you touring and leave you time to rent a car and explore on your own. You fly into Maui and then puddle jump other flights to the other islands after spending 2 or 3 days there.

Boy is Europe expensive!! the airfare is outrageous. I think I'll do a repo over from Ft. Lauderdale then pick up the second half there. The airfare is half of what it would be for a R/T flight. Something to think about.

I love long cruises, so after our 15 night Transcanal from Ft. Lauderdale to San Fran next April, I think we will do the 13-night Constellation's Canada/New England again.

If you haven't done this one it's something to think about, wonderful cruise and very relaxing.

Thanks again and happy cruising.
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM
jq

Default Re: Re: Poll: Hawaii Cruise or Land Tour?

I think for a first time visit to Hawaii, or for your 20th time when you have seen it all several times, a cruise is the way to go. But even then, I would prefer the NCL type where you don't have 8 days at sea. And those type do have an overnight sometimes on Maui to accommodate the sunrise. At least we did, when we cruised many years ago. But after our cruise, we went back to Kauai for three days and then back to Oahu for three more before flying home. This Oct, we are going to Kauai for our 40th anniversary for about 10 days.
Since then, we have been back to Maui for a month and a week for a wedding, plus a few days in Oahu. But the cruise gave us an opportunity to see some of the highlights and decide what we wanted to go back and see. But the comments about port times is true. I would take the cruise with the most time in ports over any other consideration. The cruise us cheaper than the land part due to the food, even though, we don't do fancy resturants, look for bargains. Just the idea of having to buy macadamia nuts or pineapples after having all we wanted on ship, was a big shock!!!
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
CruzCrazy

Well hubby said a cruise to Hawaii would be nice. We love the sea days as long as we can sit at dinner and not have the tables do a polynesian dance while we are cutting our food.

I think we will go for the cruise. Celebrity is always our first choice.

I know we will fall in love with Hawaii, since I love living in the tropics, so a land tour will be a follow up to our "Taste of Hawaii".

Thanks to all.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Passenger

While it is attractive to get an all inclusive land tour, the pain of flying every other day makes me want to cruise.

RCL Adventure of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
HAL Ryndam to Alaska
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:54 PM
hcat

We had the same decision to make but chose the RT trip on Summit from LA.. (the ship with cds & now a bad bearing!) just easier to get to the West coast (& that will be coslty enough for air) We hope to enjoy the trip there & back & sample Hawaii. I did not not like the one way cruises & to fly there & back fromNYis just too much for me......We are looking forward to it--hope the Summit gets back in peak shape by next March!
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Cruzers

HCAT.....Which March sailing are you doing on the Summit ?