Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > South Pacific - Hawaii
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Default Luau Comparison

If I was only able to attend one, which would be the better choice; Germaine's Luau on Oahu or Old Lahaina Luau on Maui.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Luau Comparison

I have been doing research and from what I found The Old Lahaina Luau is the best. We will be going on Sept.16 from the Pride of Aloha. When is your cruise?
Old July 15th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Germaines is an excellent choice on Oahu. This is where the locals take their visting guests.
Hands down best Luau on any island however is Old Lahaina. Service and facilities are superb . Food is excellent, drinks are excellent and free flowing from the moment you arrive. Show is traditional history of Hawaii and Hula. Since fire dancing is Polynesian, it is not done at Old Lahaina. Arrive as early as the open so you can enjoy the grounds including local crafts, watch them dig up the pig and drink to the gorgeous sunsetting over Lanai.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Luau Comparison

We are going on the seven day Pride of Aloha cruise on 9/18/05. This will be the first cruise for both of us and we are pretty excited. However, after reading many of these postings about NCL (and POA in particular), I have to admit that I am now a little concerned.

I have actually been to Germaine's Luau several years ago and I thought it was great. I had never even heard of the Old Lahaina Luau until recently, so I was wondering how it compared.
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM
SpTrout

Here is the link to the Old Lahaina Luau. We went to the Luau about 1 1/2 years ago; very good!

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html
Old July 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
ondeck@sea

We absolutely loved the Old Lahaina Luau and would go back in a heartbeat. We bought the DVD and I've watched it several times. Next May, on our Hawaiian cruise, we don't have an overnight in Maui so will try Germaine's in Oahu.
Old July 31st, 2005, 03:44 PM
amc800

Does anyone have any thoughts on Luaus in the Honolulu / Waikiki area?

I was reading reviews and was excited about Old Lahaina Luau, until I found out that our cruise slightly changed the itenierary and instead of doing both Kahului and Lahaina, we're doing 2 days of Kahului.

Thanks in adavance for your help and advice!
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:28 PM
KK

Kahului is the port in Maui. Lahaina is an EASY dirve from the ship. Rent a car while you are there. and be SURE to go to the Old Lahaina luau. Get your reservations now, because they sell out every night. I was told itis the best in all of Polynesia!! We sailed on the Pride of Aloha and were there about a week ago, andit was wonderful! Great foodand drinks and a wonderful show in a beautiful setting. As i said, renting a car is the most economical way to see the island. We rented on all the islands because we were a party of three and saved lots of $$. As far as the road to Hana, we didn't even try it because we were toldthe scenic waterfalls were so full of tourists that they were almost impossible to get to. Also had a massage on the beach at the Four Seasons resort. had to go there, because I was on Wheel of Fortune in May, and this was the ONLY prize I didn't win!! (Stay at 4 Seasons) so I HAD to go there! Massage ws wonderful and such a lavish facility! Much better than on the ships!
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:07 PM
Admiral

In the Honolulu area try Germaine's , If you don't mind traveling a bit (or have a rental car), Paradise Cove on the Western Shore of Oahu near the JW Marriott Ihilani does a nice job as well.
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:44 PM
amc800

Thanks for the recommendations. We're staying a few extra days in Waikiki before we fly back home. Thought we'd try to get a luau in on one of those nights. The good thing is that many of the excursions will come pick you up at your hotel. Hopefully we can find one of those. Either way, I've heard the public transportation (buses, etc) is very good out there. Thanks again!
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Virtually all the Luau's have a service (relatively inexpensive) that will come get you and bring you back to your hotel.
If you are spending a few extra days in Oahu, you may want to look into a different experience altogether. Polynesian Cultural Center. Located on the Northeast shore. Spend the day (opens at noon) then do their Luau for dinner and then go to their spectacular show afterwards. You can purchase a complete package that covers everything including admissions, Luau, show, souvenirs, special seating at the nighttime show , guided tour in a vey small group during the day and more. A very rewarding and entertaining day.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Ann Marie

We will be cruising on the Pride of Aloha in early October is this Luau a\part of the ships tour and excursions. If so which one. QAlso did you happen to play Golf while in Hawaii. Thank youl
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Luau Comparison

Ann Mariie For the information on whether the Luau's are offered as tours try the NCL web site. You can book on your own on any island the ship overnights on as well.
For the golf, go to the Cruisemates home page. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and on the left click on Ports of call. Once there, scrll down until you come to Hawaii.
Look for Kuki's feature article called Teeing off in Hawaii. Discusses golf on several islands.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Default luau comparison

Just returned from POA cruise. We went to Old Lahaina Luau. It was wondeful. It is not the luau from NCL. They have an excursion that is exclusive for NCL guests at a hotel. I think it's the Marriott. Unfortunately, we had a car accident on the way back to the ship. Thankfully, no one was injured, but it put a damper on the next day in Maui. If you are at all afraid of height or narrow roads, DON'T rent a car. It might be more expensive to take a tour, but you will feel safer. Enjoyed the cruise on the Pride of Aloha.
Old November 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Familiar Face

Default Royal Hawaiian Luau

Has anyone done the Royal Hawaiian Luau. Comments/observations?
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Admiral

I was wondering if any Laua's are better in Kauai than the one on Oahu?

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ERAU123 Send a message via MSN to ERAU123

Just was wondering if anyone knew which company Carnival uses for there Luau's on Maui?

Thanx for any help,

Mark
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Passenger

I just booked Old Lahaina Luau last night for October 2007. The last time we cruised there we were too late to get a reservation, so wanted to make sure this time we got it. For two of us conventional seating with table and chairs was 185.42 including tax. There is a wonderful Luau at the Royal Hawaiian hotel in Waikiki but very limited nights that it is available.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Dancyalien

When I went on the Pride of Aloha in March I did the Luau from the ship "Pacific Pardise." I enjoyed it, but I don't know its the best thats out there. They did serve complimentary drinks. (Two different alcolic drinks or soda). Which were good.

The dancers were good. NCL photographers were there to take your photos with the dancers and at the dinner tables. I think these photos of my husband and I were the best out of the entire cruise.

There was also some artisans there selling souviners. One of them was carving into wood. We bought a little tiki guy and he even carved our names in it for free.

It was a very enjoyable time. However, let me warn you that almost everyone gets of the ship for this. The only time it took awhile checking back on ship was the night of the luau.

Carnival Inspiration, Sept 2009
NCL Sky, June 2009
NCL Sky, Nov 2008
Disney Wonder, April 2008
NCL Spirit, Sept 2006
NCL Pride of Aloha, March 2006
NCL Dawn, June 2004
Carnival Sensation, July 1998
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Passenger

We've been to both the Luau at Old Lahana, Maui and The Royal Hawaiian Luau in Honolulu. There is no comparison. The one at Old Lahana is wonderful -- very good food, drinks and a wonderful show in beautiful surroundings. Reserve online directly with them early or call toll free. The luau at The Royal Hawaiian - Monday nights is nice ($18.00 taxi ride from the pier - no more than 20 minutes) -- there is a wonderful fire dance, but in no way comes up to the standards of Old Lahana. Also, the romance is just not there -- partially inside and HOT -- tickets for drinks, etc. Frankly, we were disappointed in it -- gorgeous hotel, but very commercial luau.

Also would recommend the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center as the best day spent in Honolulu -- we took the best package $$$(personal guide) and dined like a king and queen inside (air conditioning) instead of the luau before the show which was super. We had the buffet lunch before we went in as we arrived there before the 12 noon opening -- was enough of a taste of Polynesian food for us. Only trouble with it is that the show doesn't end until approximately 9:30 p.m. and it is a good hour's ride from the piers -- Don't miss the ship!!! The advantage of the personal guide is that they know the timing of the shows and events and movies, etc., and set you up so you don't miss a thing. It is very much like Epcot of Disney World -- show times and events going on at different times in different places -- confusing! A wonderful day and evening -- better than any luau.
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to BigE11378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancyalien
When I went on the Pride of Aloha in March I did the Luau from the ship "Pacific Pardise." I enjoyed it, but I don't know its the best thats out there. They did serve complimentary drinks. (Two different alcolic drinks or soda). Which were good.

The dancers were good. NCL photographers were there to take your photos with the dancers and at the dinner tables. I think these photos of my husband and I were the best out of the entire cruise.

There was also some artisans there selling souviners. One of them was carving into wood. We bought a little tiki guy and he even carved our names in it for free.

It was a very enjoyable time. However, let me warn you that almost everyone gets of the ship for this. The only time it took awhile checking back on ship was the night of the luau.
we did the same Luau and have a turtle from the same wood carver. we didnt realize you were on the Aloha..maybe we did. I guess I am getting old I couldnt remember. The bus driver we had decided to drive FASSSSSST so she and us could get home first and we did so we had no problem getting back onboard.
NCL Dawn Sept 20,2009
NCL Jewel
Pride Of America
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default Hawaii Luaus

I found a good site for different luaus on all the islands and full descriptions. It 's mostly Maui, but covers all the islands too. Check out the Maui Luau Guide.

I'm doing a cruise in November to all the islands and am doing a search for the best resources. Please continue this and post more before then for me. I want particular experiences, so that I can pick the best luaus too.

Mahalo!