CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   South Pacific - Hawaii (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/)
-   -   Hilo Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/south-pacific-hawaii/256480-hilo-shore-excursions.html)

BUDDY July 13th, 2005 11:20 PM

Hilo Shore Excursions

Hi:

Just got our booklet from RCCL for our Hawaii cruise in September. The one port of call where I didn't like any of the excursions they listed was Hilo. Does anyone have any suggestions for this port of call?

Buddy

PapaBill July 15th, 2005 08:23 AM

Re: Hilo Shore Excursions

I've not toured Hawaii with RCCL but most ships offer very similar tours.
Off of NCL Wind a few years back we took an excellent and very comprehensive all day our . It was pitched as an "eco tour". We were picked up in vans and driven inland to
an orchid farm . We had a tour and the whole process was explained. From there we drove through the lava fields to Lava Tree State park We got to see effects of lava and eruptions up close. (although no active volcano here any longer). Third stop was combination lunch and snokelling in a lava inlet fed by sea water and fresh water from under ground. Snorkelling included literally crawling over some hard lava to access a most beautiful and pristine coral garden with huge brain corals as the feature. Fourth stop was a natural, lava heated hot spring pond where we relaxed in 100 degree water.
Final stop was a breif stop at Hilo Hatties for anyone who needed to shop. The tour was basically all day.
Check out if something similar is offered .

Single Mom July 15th, 2005 11:58 PM

We returned from Hilo in May and I must say, this is a little town worth exploring on your own. Volcano National Park is nice but not much there. After visiting the volcanoes we ventured to Akaka Falls which was gorgeous!!! The drive through some cute towns made the adventure even more interesting. There is a "scenic drive" that is about 4 miles long in downtown Hilo that I would recommend. Gorgeous is not the word for some of the scenery there. As we drove back to the airport we stumbled upon the Big Island Candy Factory - great mac shortbread cookies!!!

Kona is a better town but Hilo had some good points too!

hcat July 16th, 2005 04:37 PM

We will take the ships tour to the Volcanoe Park but would also like to see the Akaka Falls-- without having to rent a car. How far are they from the port? Could a cab take you there & back for just a nice photo op???

Single Mom July 17th, 2005 02:00 PM

Re: Re: Hilo Shore Excursions

Akaka Falls is quite a distance and would be a substantial cab fare. I would recommend renting a car and doing both. In Hilo we paid $45 for a day in an Altima and we had free range of what we wanted to do. We did the park, Akaka Falls and the downtown scenic drive for a total of $60 for the day!